I need help with my personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

OhNoImmaPreDent

any advise would be appreciated...Im applying for some masters and smp's, and im having trouble writing my personal statement. Would it be ok to focus the personal statement on how i want to use it as a stepping stool to get into dental school? Is that ok or do I actually have to write about how I want a masters in biomedical science? cause i really dont! but have to. Would it offend the adcomms? I know nothing about research, I know nothing about what I would even do with a masters degree....I just wanna go to dental school.....

Members don't see this ad.

any advise would be appreciated...Im applying for some masters and smp's, and im having trouble writing my personal statement. Would it be ok to focus the personal statement on how i want to use it as a stepping stool to get into dental school? Is that ok or do I actually have to write about how I want a masters in biomedical science? cause i really dont! but have to. Would it offend the adcomms? I know nothing about research, I know nothing about what I would even do with a masters degree....I just wanna go to dental school.....

And what school would not mind knowing that they will be used as a stepping stone? You may "wanna" go to dental school but you may also "wanna" get a hold of your rudder because your ship is going hither-nither.

Wouldn't quite word it as a stepping stone. If the program is worded specifically as "To help one gain admissions to a school of medicine or dental medicine," then they won't be offended. Some master's program offer the option of foregoing thesis work to tack on additional coursework, so it's more malleable than you might think. You won't have to touch research at all if that's the case.

Either way, people will try to earn a master's for all different reasons. No need to hide your reason, but there are ways to dress up your statement. The gist of my personal statement was - "So, here's my situation with regards to dental school. I need to get over this hump, and I think your program offers me a great opportunity to get there." I didn't fellate my dental school goals, nor did I place them as secondary in value.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree, don't mention the masters as a stepping stone. at best, you can say this is the next step for you as you pursue further graduate studies. its like any school you'd apply to, try to put them on the high horse then say why you deserve to be there. if you stress you just want to go to dental school, then they'll say you'd don't have a need to get on their horse at all.

when are most post-bacc deadlines? since i haven't heard anything wrt interviews yet, i guess i need to start developing a back up plan. if i wait to apply to post-bacc programs until january after i retake the DAT are most deadlines passed?

when are most post-bacc deadlines? since i haven't heard anything wrt interviews yet, i guess i need to start developing a back up plan. if i wait to apply to post-bacc programs until january after i retake the DAT are most deadlines passed?

You'll be fine. Only Creighton has a January deadline. Most other schools are on rolling admissions, with deadlines ranging from April and June. So if you turn your app in by Jan/Feb you should be good to go.