I need info on Italian Veterinary programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HopefullyVet

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have searched online and am not able to find a good cohesive source of info on vet schools in italy.
Can anyone help me out on this?
The VMCAS system has none and the websites are hard to follow and I am willing to go anywhere that will take me.
Anyone help me please.
Thanks
 
Where are you planning to practice?

A vet I know went to vet school in Italy. She said that she had to basically leave the country after school and start over with learning in the UK because the education was not very high caliber in Italy. Something to think about...
 
I thiiink vet school in Italy is like an undergrad degree (the initial program, at least). As such, I am pretty sure they won't have a central application like VMCAS. My guess that there will be individual school applications.

I don't know anything about the program, but the school (Padova) where I did study abroad in undergrad did have a vet school (I was taking prereqs/random classes at the time, nothing at their school).
Padova: http://www.unipd-veterinaria.it/

Bologna: http://www.agrariaveterinaria.unibo.it/it (one of the oldest universities in the world!)

And just a few from a google search of "università veterinaria"
http://www.veterinaria.unimi.it/
http://www.uniba.it/ateneo/facolta/medicina-veterinaria
http://veterinaria.campusnet.unito.it/do/home.pl
http://facolta.unipg.it/veterinaria/
http://www.medicinaveterinaria.unina.it/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Keep in mind that there a no vet schools in Italy that are accredited with the AVMA. This means if you intend to practice in the United States, you'll need to go through the ECFVG Certification Process, which is extremely expensive.

Do you speak Italian? Your lectures are not likely to be in English, so knowing the language is an absolute necessity. It may sound like a stupid thing to say, but you'd be amazed at the things some people overlook during the application process.
 
Keep in mind that there a no vet schools in Italy that are accredited with the AVMA. This means if you intend to practice in the United States, you'll need to go through the ECFVG Certification Process, which is extremely expensive.

Do you speak Italian? Your lectures are not likely to be in English, so knowing the language is an absolute necessity. It may sound like a stupid thing to say, but you'd be amazed at the things some people overlook during the application process.

I am okay with both those things. I needed to just figure out how to send them my info because outside the VMCAS system I am not really sure how or where to send things.
 
I am okay with both those things. I needed to just figure out how to send them my info because outside the VMCAS system I am not really sure how or where to send things.

So do you already know Italian fluently? Or are you planning on doing this in your spare time between now and when you apply? (And when DO you plan on applying?)

Also, it's like $6k for the certification. On top of whatever tuition is for five years...on top of the cost of moving to another continent...And you can then only practice (in the US) IF you pass credentialing...which sounds iffy due to possibly sub-par education.

Sounds like, to me, that maybe you need to really research this a little further and consider it a little more realistically in regards to your ultimate goals.
 
I am okay with both those things. I needed to just figure out how to send them my info because outside the VMCAS system I am not really sure how or where to send things.

I would contact the schools directly and ask, especially if you speak Italian. I don't think anyone on these boards has personal experience applying to an Italian school.