I need information for MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Plus there's the whole student visa situation, which I think will require you to demonstrate that you have financial support to live in the U.S. while you're studying.

Basically, you need to desperately want to be a physician in the U.S. and be willing to sacrifice more than a decade of your life and go into heavy debt to get there. There is no short-cut or low-cost path.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice
I wanted to study in Texan a&m health but they don't accept forgien students .
Only cheapest university is Baylor university with 31000 a year and 10,000 rooming .
Texas schools hardly even accept Americans from outside Texas lol- they're required to fill their classes with 90% Texas by government mandate.

The biggest hurdle you'd have for US schools would be your lack of US college experience. Most schools require 30-60 credits in the sciences as US institutions of higher learning to be considered as an international graduate, as the US system is very different than many overseas schools. Next up would be financial and visa issues- you'd need to get a visiting visa to do all of your interviews, and be able to pay for school before you could get an educational visa. Then there's the whole issue of most schools not accepting foreign students to begin with- sort of a big deal.

Reactions: 1 users
Plus there's the whole student visa situation, which I think will require you to demonstrate that you have financial support to live in the U.S. while you're studying.

Basically, you need to desperately want to be a physician in the U.S. and be willing to sacrifice more than a decade of your life and go into heavy debt to get there. There is no short-cut or low-cost path.
Plus you need to have the resources to get started. Unless you've got piles of gold dubloons lying about, you're not going to be able to afford things here, and loans just aren't available.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Plus you need to have the resources to get started. Unless you've got piles of gold dubloons lying about, you're not going to be able to afford things here, and loans just aren't available.

Yeah, exactly. It's just not easy. I know it's a different situation, but I have a friend who is trying to move from Brazil to study in the UK and she is having a hell of a time getting the visa sorted out. You need a whole bunch of money just sitting around in a bank account to prove that you're going to be able to pay for school, living expenses, what have you, all before you've tried to take out any loans or anything.

Yeah, exactly. It's just not easy. I know it's a different situation, but I have a friend who is trying to move from Brazil to study in the UK and she is having a hell of a time getting the visa sorted out. You need a whole bunch of money just sitting around in a bank account to prove that you're going to be able to pay for school, living expenses, what have you, all before you've tried to take out any loans or anything.
That why I was asking if I can study outside USA and come back practice .

I am Syrian citizen . refugee.

Have you looked into seeking asylum in the US, gaining US citizenship, and completing US medical school?

*Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on this, but this might be something to look into.

Have you looked into seeking asylum in the US, gaining US citizenship, and completing US medical school?

*Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on this, but this might be something to look into.

Refugees have to seek asylum in the country they arrive to first. That's actually a huge discussion they are having in Europe as Italian and Greek governments are flooding with refuges and they just let them pass to other countries in Europe, which in turn send them back to the original country of arrival.

Refugees have to seek asylum in the country they arrive to first. That's actually a huge discussion they are having in Europe as Italian and Greek governments are flooding with refuges and just let them pass to other countries in Europe, which in turn send them back to the original country.

Right. I've read about this happening; some nations are functioning as refugee and immigrant gates to Europe. I wasn't exactly sure which country OP is in, and I assumed US, since they're curious about US medical schools and practicing here.

Last edited:
Right. I've read about this happening; some nations are functioning as refugee and immigrant gates to Europe. I wasn't exactly sure which country OP is in, and I assumed US, since they're curious about US medical schools and practicing here.
Exactly but I don't wanna use refugee status for support .

In order:

No.

Family medicine, psychiatry, and community IM, but even those are hard to get into. US grads need a pulse, you NEED to be a superstar as an IMG. You will never be an orthopedic surgeon in the United States as an Italian or Polish school grad.

Poland has several four year programs for foreigners that are taught in English, Italy does not have any, to my knowledge- all are six years and taught in Italian.
Lol... Not sure that's still the case.

Refugees have to seek asylum in the country they arrive to first. That's actually a huge discussion they are having in Europe as Italian and Greek governments are flooding with refuges and they just let them pass to other countries in Europe, which in turn send them back to the original country of arrival.
Yes , Italy , Greece , Macedonia and Serbia don't allow refugee to stay which is cool because they treat refugees as hell . but Hungary treat them as hell worst than jail
If they can't treat refugees good . then why they take them .

Ok then what other countries to practice with high salary

go into medicine for the right reasons buddy. Money aint one of them

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly so that the point because I love medicine and I don't wanna lose money
I just wanted to know which one is better DO or Poland university

To match something, it largely is. You have to be highly dysfunctional with multiple red flags to not at least secure a FM residency somewhere.
I don't know, but it seems like the match has been getting more and more competitive...

Last edited:
I don't know, but it seems like the match has been getting more and more competitive...
It's more competitive, but the people I know is that didn't match were either completely unmatchable due to numerous red flags or applied to competitive specialties or locations exclusively with no backups in less competitive locations and specialties.

It's more competitive, but the people I know is that didn't match were either completely unmatchable due to numerous red flags or applied to competitive specialties or locations exclusively with no backups in less competitive locations and specialties.
It's amazing that some people don't do their research when the stake is so high...

My English sucks I know but that doesn't mean my grade is not good . besides I bet you only know English fluently but other languages u suck like me .

Are you going to impress your patients with your transcript when you can't explain to them what the problem is?

It is definitely one of them. It absolutely should not be the only reason, but when you have to go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt and spend so much of your life in training, it should obviously play a big role in your decision.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you going to impress your patients with your transcript when you can't explain to them what the problem is?
Don't worry amigo . lol
I can impess them with other things

It is definitely one of them. It absolutely should not be the only reason, but when you have to go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt and spend so much of your life in training, it should obviously play a big role in your decision.
Exactly that is my point

If you are getting your med education free, good for you. Who cares if money is the main reason as long as these physicians do their job.

woooo..... just what we need. foreign docs taking our jobs because they like our salaries.

I've always been under the impression it's actually pretty easy to practice in the U.S. as a foreign doc, the hard part is landing a U.S. residency. If OP were to do his postgraduate training/specializing in Europe then being an attending doc here is possible, unless I'm mistaken.

Outside of that though, op, it is basically impossible to do any part of your education or residency training state side

If OP were to do his postgraduate training/specializing in Europe then being an attending doc here is possible, unless I'm mistaken.

You are. For the vast majority of people, you have to do residency (or fellowship) in the US if you want to practice in the US.

You know, OP already speaks English reasonably well and will have plenty of time to improve. The language barrier is probably the smallest problem he has here. I don't know why you're giving him such a hard time about it.

You are. For the vast majority of people, you have to do residency (or fellowship) in the US if you want to practice in the US.
Really ??
So if I did residency in Europe so I need to retake the residency again in USA

woooo..... just what we need. foreign docs taking our jobs because they like our salaries.
Not really
In Netherlands and Australia are better salaries
But my family live there . that my point

You know, OP already speaks English reasonably well and will have plenty of time to improve. The language barrier is probably the smallest problem he has here. I don't know why you're giving him such a hard time about it.
Exactly
Language is not the problem
Because all I need is 3 month training

The bottom line:
train where you want to live

What about anesthesiologist or urologist surgeon
Are those easy to get into

Anything surgical is hard to get into. This should not deter you, however.

@John93, you need at least 3 years of university classes in the US, a PhD might be the best way to achieve this. After completing academic courses in the US, you take the MCAT exam and apply for admission to medical school. The medical schools interview candidates for admission. Less than 45% of all applicants are admitted and the proportion of international students who are admitted may be much lower than that.
Medical school in the US lasts 4 years.
After the second year of medical school you take an exam often called "the boards". Your grade on this exam will, in large part, determine whether you will have an easy or difficult time getting into a residency of your choice. It isn't until after this exam that students begin to discuss which specialty area they will pursue.

During the 4th year of medical school, you obtain a letter of recommendation from your medical school and apply for admission to a residency program. There are interviews and then applicants are "matched" to a program that wants them.

Whether a specialty is easy or difficult to get into depends on how many other applicants want that specialty (something we can't predict 7-10 years in the future) and how good your board scores and letter of recommendation are.

@John93, you need at least 3 years of university classes in the US, a PhD might be the best way to achieve this. After completing academic courses in the US, you take the MCAT exam and apply for admission to medical school. The medical schools interview candidates for admission. Less than 45% of all applicants are admitted and the proportion of international students who are admitted may be much lower than that.
Medical school in the US lasts 4 years.
After the second year of medical school you take an exam often called "the boards". Your grade on this exam will, in large part, determine whether you will have an easy or difficult time getting into a residency of your choice. It isn't until after this exam that students begin to discuss which specialty area they will pursue.

During the 4th year of medical school, you obtain a letter of recommendation from your medical school and apply for admission to a residency program. There are interviews and then applicants are "matched" to a program that wants them.

Whether a specialty is easy or difficult to get into depends on how many other applicants want that specialty (something we can't predict 7-10 years in the future) and how good your board scores and letter of recommendation are.
That is most accurate answer
Thank you so much
But one thing that I already did chemistry pre med .
So will do the MCAT with course work