I Need some advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peacelove0813

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am an undergraduate student in u of t life science program and I have just finished my first year..
Unfortunately, my cGPA got crushed into 3.41..
I heard some scary stories that if I do not succeed in first year, the admission will not look at the application..
Also, how is the probability for me for getting into med school..??
BTW I do not care whether it is Canadian or U.S med school..
I really want to pursue my career as a doctor, but I also want to know my chances..

Please give me some suggestions..:(
Thank you so much in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, relax. One year at 3.4 definitely won't be the end of you. You have plenty of time to bring up your GPA to where it needs to be. 1st year of college is actually the most forgiving year because admissions committees understand that the jump from high school to college can be a difficult one. They like to see improvement in the form of an upward trend in grades. It is an exercise in futility to try to predict your chances at getting into medical school at this point because so much can happen between now and then. Just do your best to improve your GPA, get involved around campus in various activities, and for goodness-sake, enjoy life a little.

Again, don't worry about it. Your main concerns should be to focus on having fun in college, and getting involved and showing commitment to the field of medicine. You can talk all you want about medicine means a lot to you but if you don't put the time into shadowing or volunteering, people really CANNOT take you seriously for one second that you truly want to be a doctor and in fact it's because your parents who want to use you as a trophy to brag to other parents, or it's because you feel like the only way someone will notice you is because you have an MD and not because you have an awesome personality.

It goes without saying that academics are important, no duh. But a 3.4 is not going to be the reason why you don't get into med school. Get your act together for your upcoming quarter/semester, and get involved a little bit.

Organize your time better. And go to office hours. Finally, learn to be efficient. Saying that you studied for 5 hours means nothing if you were in the UG library just watching youtube and being on facebook. When you need to get 5h1t done, get it done.

I imagine everyone would agree with the above 2 posts. 3.4 is not bad for a first year. Not sure where you got the impression that Adcoms weed out based on first year, but I don't know of a single school who does this if your overall GPA ends up above 3.6 or shows significant upward trend. Don't worry about it.