I need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WILLIV

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
MCAT: 497
According to TMDSAS (Texas application)
science: 3.92
Other: 4.0
Overall: 3.95
Shadowing: over 100 hours, 20+ doctors
Volunteering: over 300 hours, clinic, feeding homeless, and teaching kids
Leadership: Multiple positions in multiple organizations
Research: very minimal

Obviously the MCAT is garbage. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I won't be getting many looks, and I probably wont get any interviews. I guess I will have to apply next cycle. What can I do to improve my MCAT score? Has anyone been in this situation before?

day of MCAT, I got like 1 hour of sleep. made a 127 on the first section and it went downhill from there.... I am signed up to take in July, but I dont feel prepared. What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

If you bombed the last one and don't feel prepared this time, do not write it. Spend a significant amount of time seeking out and making use of different resources, and take a lot of practice tests before you re-write. Your GPA is great, so rushing to re-write so you can apply this year would be foolish. Take your time and do it right.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you bombed the last one and don't feel prepared this time, do not write it. Spend a significant amount of time seeking out and making use of different resources, and take a lot of practice tests before you re-write. Your GPA is great, so rushing to re-write so you can apply this year would be foolish. Take your time and do it right.

By the way, I submitted my applications through AMCAS and TMDSAS. should I withdraw them or will it be better to let them go through?

** thanks for the quick response. I appreciate your input.

Are you DO applicant?
If so, I would go ahead and apply to a lot of schools, especially the new ones. I feel like you'll have a chance to get into one of the newer ones that opened this year/last year.

I wouldn't wast time and money and apply MD though

You already screwed up once on the MCAT. Now why would you take a career defining, high stakes exam when you're not fully prepared?????

I have Adcom colleagues who would outright reject you not for he lousy MCAT score, but your poor, almost self destructive choice making.

Agree 100% with the very wise gyngyn. Do NOT take the MCAT until you are 100% ready for it. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

If you have test anxiety issues, get those fixed.

Stats:
MCAT: 497
According to TMDSAS (Texas application)
science: 3.92
Other: 4.0
Overall: 3.95
Shadowing: over 100 hours, 20+ doctors
Volunteering: over 300 hours, clinic, feeding homeless, and teaching kids
Leadership: Multiple positions in multiple organizations
Research: very minimal

Obviously the MCAT is garbage. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I won't be getting many looks, and I probably wont get any interviews. I guess I will have to apply next cycle. What can I do to improve my MCAT score? Has anyone been in this situation before?

day of MCAT, I got like 1 hour of sleep. made a 127 on the first section and it went downhill from there.... I am signed up to take in July, but I dont feel prepared. What would you do?