I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicolasAngel

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN members,

I'm still a pre-pharm in my junior year. What I want to do in the future is to pursue Pharma R&D to develop drugs, but I have seen so much melancholy over the state of pharmacy and such. Could someone with more experience than this frog at the bottom of the well give it some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

you need a PhD for that, not a PharmD.

Sorry I come across as some clueless chicken, but the language barrier does really hit hard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to get to that level I will need a PharmD degree then some more years obtaining the PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Simple answer alert - but I once thought about this pathway myself and here is about as far as I got in terms of my interest before I changed directions.

I think there are two pharmacy related routes you could take to get to where you want to go. You could also, as suggested earlier, just pursue a PhD but I think having the basics of drug action, pharmacology, and medicinal chemistry will give you a good foundation for succeeding in that career. All of which you can get through 4 years pharmacy school.

After graduating pharmacy school, you can either

1) Pursue a PhD program as a researcher. It'd be good to go to a college that actually does research. Check out US World News for the top pharmacy schools - one of the criteria for earning this recognition as I understand it is funding for research. Then after doing this you can design/discover new drugs yourself. Or go work for another company and do the same. FYI - there are some joint Phd/PharmD programs at some colleges.
2) Pursue a pharmacy fellowship and land an industry position. Then find a way to get into an R&D role. Without a PhD degree your role/function may be limited but I (THINK - don't remember exactly) I have met a pharmacist with only a PharmD that managed drug trial recruitment and study design.

@lionheart555 May I ask what way did you change to and why? Also, if I somewhen in the future I change my mind and want to be a clinical pharmacist (possibly working for one of my relatives), what do I need to do? Thank you for your highly informative answer!

Have you ever worked in a pharmacy, whether retail, hospital, long-term care (i.e. nursing home), etc.? DO THAT before you proceed further.

You do realize that most research, medical or otherwise, is one dead end after another?

Sorry I come across as some clueless chicken, but the language barrier does really hit hard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to get to that level I will need a PharmD degree then some more years obtaining the PhD.

No...I think you're in denial. You want the pharmD and just saying stuff to justify it. IF you truly want to develop drugs...all you need is a PhD. I don't think you really want that though. You want people on here to say "yea...go for the pharmD." AND that is fine...just be honest with yourself. That's all.

Reactions: 1 user
@lionheart555 May I ask what way did you change to and why? Also, if I somewhen in the future I change my mind and want to be a clinical pharmacist (possibly working for one of my relatives), what do I need to do? Thank you for your highly informative answer!

If you want to be any kind of pharmacist you need to get a degree in pharmacy.

I didn't go that route because I'm not really interested in developing new things (maybe I thought I was before). I'd much rather let the researchers do the work and then evaluate it and see if its useful/worth it. There are lots of pharmacists roles with this kind of mindset. I think it falls to what your interests and talents are.