I need some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bassurgery

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Match day today... I matched to IM.. my 10th rank. I had 9 categorical gen surg interviews.

I am devastated. What are my options? I know that the NRMP considers your contract "complete" after 45 days. Can I look for spots that open up for categorical PGY1 surgery after July 1st? Or can I use the program that searches for open residency spots and potentially change spots any time during my IM intern year?

I know that I can reapply for the match (and I will), but can I apply for PGY2 after 1 year of IM? If I reapply for the match and don't match, does this mean that I will lose my current residency spot?

I was meant for surgery. This COVID/virtual stuff was just so difficult for me. I applied IM as a backup ONLY because of this year's abnormalities.

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately a year of IM residency won’t count as an intern year of surgical residency, so you’d be looking for intern positions. As to what would happen with your current slot, that’s up to your program whether they would be willing to hold your spot or not - they will likely be trying to fill through the match too, so holding your spot would mean they give up the chance to match a new candidate if you are successful. It’s a tough position to be in - best of luck.

Unfortunately a year of IM residency won’t count as an intern year of surgical residency, so you’d be looking for intern positions. As to what would happen with your current slot, that’s up to your program whether they would be willing to hold your spot or not - they will likely be trying to fill through the match too, so holding your spot would mean they give up the chance to match a new candidate if you are successful. It’s a tough position to be in - best of luck.
I have actually found a couple gen surg programs that will accept IM as PGY1 for surgery, but not many. I am just hoping that I can try to swap after the 45 day NRMP contractual agreement is up..

Members don't see this ad :)
I have actually found a couple gen surg programs that will accept IM as PGY1 for surgery, but not many. I am just hoping that I can try to swap after the 45 day NRMP contractual agreement is up..
Which programs will accept IM as pgy1 for surgery?
Maybe check on that site that lists positions which come up outside the match.

Perhaps the 2 of you should talk to each other?

Match day today... I matched to IM.. my 10th rank. I had 9 categorical gen surg interviews.

I am devastated. What are my options? I know that the NRMP considers your contract "complete" after 45 days. Can I look for spots that open up for categorical PGY1 surgery after July 1st? Or can I use the program that searches for open residency spots and potentially change spots any time during my IM intern year?

I know that I can reapply for the match (and I will), but can I apply for PGY2 after 1 year of IM? If I reapply for the match and don't match, does this mean that I will lose my current residency spot?

I was meant for surgery. This COVID/virtual stuff was just so difficult for me. I applied IM as a backup ONLY because of this year's abnormalities.

After the shock/disappointment wears off. Sit down and think about what it is about surgery you actually like. How much of that can you get elsewhere. Is it really the only way you could be happy?

I would consider just sticking it out and becoming a proceduralist: interventional cardiology, interventional pulmonology, or GI.

The alternative would be to try to see if you can figure something out with the general surgery program where you matched in IM and do your elective time on a gen surg service and impress them so that they'll consider you for the following year.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

If you want to be board certified in surgery, you need to meet all the rotation requirements (start with page 6) established by ABS. Medicine rotations do not count for surgery. You may get a month of credit for ICU or EM at the surgery PD's discretion, but that's not enough to start you off as a PGY-2. If some programs are saying they accept an IM year for surgery PGY-1, it is likely NOT an ACGME supported position.

Reactions: 3 users
If I recall correctly, you'll also have a 3 year funding clock instead of 5 which could hurt you

If I recall correctly, you'll also have a 3 year funding clock instead of 5 which could hurt you
This I know unfortunately. I am just wondering if it is possible to try to find open pgy1 spots in surgery within my IM intern year to swap

This I know unfortunately. I am just wondering if it is possible to try to find open pgy1 spots in surgery within my IM intern year to swap
You could try to follow ResidentSwap to see if any prelim or categorical spots show up, and try to match into GS the following cycle, but it's a far from sure thing. It's why many people try only for GS and prelim surg, since matching basically anything else will cap your funding. Good luck, in any case. VA programs don't have to worry about the cap iirc, and larger programs often can absorb a qualified resident without concerns

You could try to follow ResidentSwap to see if any prelim or categorical spots show up, and try to match into GS the following cycle, but it's a far from sure thing. It's why many people try only for GS and prelim surg, since matching basically anything else will cap your funding. Good luck, in any case. VA programs don't have to worry about the cap iirc, and larger programs often can absorb a qualified resident without concerns
I am going to try. I am just trying to avoid a violation. I only read that 45 days of the residency was required before you can choose to leave.

Yep. Exceptions are basically only granted in extreme circumstances on a case-by-case basis
I am okay completing 45 days if it means I can swap into a gen surg spot. The whole virtual interview situation was just awful. So many technical issues and I just got distraught every time my video cut out... it just wasn't great.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I am okay completing 45 days if it means I can swap into a gen surg spot. The whole virtual interview situation was just awful. So many technical issues and I just got distraught every time my video cut out... it just wasn't great.

It's extremely unlikely you will get a spot this year. If you go into your intern year trying to switch out after 45 days you will not get good letters which will make getting a spot eventually much harder.

You need to suck it up for a year, perform well, and plan to reapply next cycle with the support of your current IM program.

Sorry to be harsh but I am worried about your critical thinking skills for 2 reasons:

1) How to do you think getting a surgery PGY-2 spot after an IM intern year is a good idea? You would be the weakest PGY-2 in the history of surgery and it would be a terrible experience.

2) How are you trying to target the few programs that will take an IM intern year when you went unmatched? Your focus needs to be getting a spot in surgery eventually not trying to avoid wasting a year.

Reactions: 5 users
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Don't rank somewhere that you don't wouldn't be OK going to. OP would be in a better situation if they went unmatched.

Reactions: 3 users

I just wanted to let you know that I am in the exact same boat and it absolutely sucks. I completely feel your pain. I matched into IM and my dream is GS. I also did it as just a backup and I am absolutely devastated. You are not alone.

Looking to switch from Gen Surg (categorical) to IM. Academic nationally recognized good surgery program.

If you got distraught by a video cutting out that doesn’t look very good when as a surgeon you’ll be making much higher stakes decisions and can’t afford to become distraught each time…something to think about for next interviews