I Need Some Advice!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJSUNNY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I can do now. I applied to six dental schools this past year and I didn't get into any schools. My cumulative GPA is 3.2 and a science GPA of 3.0. My DAT score is 19/21/18. I know these scores are very average. Can someone give me some advice or some feedback on my status? Should I take more classes, so I can boost my GPA or should I take the DAT again? Can someone help me? please!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You should really think about applying to more schools. Also, a master's degree might help since your GPA is below average. I think your DAT scores are fine.

Good luck!

This is some advice I gave in another thread and I don't know how there is any advice other than this...

To quote myself:
"Raise that DAT, raise that GPA and log in more dental related/service hours. What else can you do? Just keep getting invited to interview is all and those three things is what get you there.

Personally, reapplicants would impress me. Especially if each year they got higher scores/GPA's and got more and more exposure to the field. This shows you have the figurative balls to succeed and will not take no for an answer; the kind of student I'd want working their ass off at my school (if i was on adcom or whatever).

And apply to a lot of schools. It doesn't show you lack confidence (as some over-analyzing predents might think). It shows you want to go to school, bottom line."

Everyone is looking for some magical solution when they've all known exactly what it is they need to do all along. Your regular and science GPA needs to be high, your DAT needs to be high, your application needs to be full of research, volunteering and dental exposure with a driven but sensible personal statement and you need to nail your interview. People get in with varying degrees of each of these variables, but if you're looking to improve your chances you have to improve in these areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake the DATs unless you know you can do significantly better. Slightly higher scores are not worth restudying for and worse scores will kill your application. I'd take some advanced courses such as biochem and cell and molecular biology. Also, continue shadowing and/or volunteering in a clinic or office and by all means, apply to more than 6 schools, some in each level of "difficulty."

and make sure you apply as early as possible

i think your dat is fine...raise that GPA if possible or take some masters lavel classes...

More shadow hours, service hours, better LOR, better essay. Make your whole applicatin better than the first one and apply to MORE schools.

I was going to apply to eight. It cost 300 more dollars to add EIGHT more, doubling my chances. (Minue secondary fees). Guess what? I am going to the school that I initially wasnt going to apply to:thumbup:

You should really think about applying to more schools. Also, a master's degree might help since your GPA is below average. I think your DAT scores are fine.

Good luck!

I agree with Columbia07. Your GPA's are a little low, but you DAT is okay. Unfortunately, if you apply again, your numbers may make you an average or below average applicant. You may walk on water as a person, but unfortunately, adcoms will see your competitiveness by your numbers first. I think your best bet would be to get a masters degree, perform above average, and then apply toward the end of your program. Considering that most masters programs are two years, you may need to retake the DAT toward the end of your program.

If you can do well in a more rigorous graduate science program and have similar DAT scores, you should have your choice between a few dental programs when you apply again.

Best wishes!

Sunny, what schools did you apply to?

Thanks for all your input guys. It really gives me some perspectives on what I can do to improve my application. I'm going to take more classes this summer to boost my GPA. I am also looking into some graduate programs and they are quite expensive.

I have one more question. Do dental schools look down on distance learning courses?

So to answer your question: i applied to Tufts, BU, Maryland, Temple, NYU, and UCONN.
I knew that some schools were out of my league (esp. UCONN and Columbia), but I thought I had a good chance of getting an interview to some of these schools, because I was in their summer programs, but I guess it really didn't help much. Programs, themselves were great. If you want exposure to the field of dentistry, you should definitely apply to the summer enrichment programs. it is a great opportunity.