I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Should I Do?

• Stick around and do Podiatry School

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Go to Caribbean MD school

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

SkyeBlue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first year of podiatry school. Unfortunately, I failed neuroanatomy (2cr) due to some personal circumstances. All the rest of my grades were good. I was dismissed from the school per protocol, but I am appealing the dismissal. However, even if I get the dismissal retracted, they won't let me take second year until I pass this one class only offered in the spring. So, I am being forced to take a year off.

Should I apply to a Caribbean Medical school, start in January and earn my MD by 2015 (ish) or stick around and earn my pod degree in 2015? Or other options? What should I do with this year?

Money would be an issue (yay loans), and I am married so that adds another factor into the equation. (We don't have kids, but would like them) I feel like an idiot for letting this happen, so any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dismissed for failing one class? That's rough, sorry to hear that.

First thing I would do is address the personal issues that caused me to lose focus in class and then I'd ask myself what kind of physician do I want to be. You started podiatry school for a reason right? Only you can really answer what your future educational goals should be.

No one can tell you what to do next or even recommend what you should do next. That decision is strictly yours. However, as previously mentioned, you DID originally choose podiatry and have to consider why you chose it in the first place.

Did you choose it because it was your first choice or as a default? If it was your first choice then you should highly consider staying with this field. If it wasn't originally your first choice, then maybe a Caribbean school isn't a bad idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
one class??? that is so unheard of. I heard NYCPM dismisses people left and right but its not if they fail just one class, its if they go below a certain gpa number. Bottom line, YOU have to decide what to do by being realistic and honest with yourself with what went wrong and how you can fix it, but the last thing I would do is ask the same SDN posters who are mostly premeds inquiring about their chances of getting in and the posters who rank our 9 schools with God knows what criteria, to use that same jugement to make such a decision for you. Whatever you do, good luck, and neuroanatomy is not that important, who needs the brain anyway.

I just finished my first year of podiatry school. Unfortunately, I failed neuroanatomy (2cr) due to some personal circumstances. All the rest of my grades were good. I was dismissed from the school per protocol, but I am appealing the dismissal. However, even if I get the dismissal retracted, they won't let me take second year until I pass this one class only offered in the spring. So, I am being forced to take a year off.

Should I apply to a Caribbean Medical school, start in January and earn my MD by 2015 (ish) or stick around and earn my pod degree in 2015? Or other options? What should I do with this year?

Money would be an issue (yay loans), and I am married so that adds another factor into the equation. (We don't have kids, but would like them) I feel like an idiot for letting this happen, so any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

You should honor your commitment to podiatry school and sit yourself down and learn the material. You need to not only memorize these things but understand it to the point that it becomes second nature. Neruoanatomy is integral to understanding medicine (podiatric medicine) biochemical, pharmacological and physiologic pathways that'll be a part of your career - for life. Find a tutor, beg, borrow and do whatever it is you have to do to get this material down. You can do it - Offshore medical school is NOT an option. if you can't pass neuoranatomy and undersand, integrate and be conversant to the point of boring the crap out of people there isn't another place that'll give you a doctorate in a healtcare related field. If you can't accomplish this, maybe you ought to consdier another career.