I need some good shoes for the OR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Treg

Surgeon in training
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could you guys recommend something for me? I was thinking of the birkenstock clogs, but is there something else I should be considering?

Also, for those of you who don't wear glasses (or have loupes yet), do you have a set of safetly glasses that you use in the OR? I really hate those masks with the built in shield, so I was thinking of getting some safety glasses that are more comfortable.

Thanks in advance :)

Treg

Members don't see this ad.

Dansko professional clogs or Calzuro clogs (you can autoclave these).

-J

there was a good thread about shoes last year. Try a search and see what comes up.

Most OR's will have disposable plastic glasses that you put together. These have always worked well for me, although I do have some issue with fogging sometimes. I know of a classmate that got a pair of safety glasses that he had used in anatomy lab that he used in the OR. They weren't the huge ones like you have in chem lab, but something more along the size of sunglasses. They claimed not to fog too which was a bonus for him.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about shoes but I know several residents and scrub nurses who had custom Oakleys made for them for the OR. Depending on the style and lens type, they paid from $120-200. They're like the sunglasses that Oakley makes, except that they protect your eyes better. From what I overheard, you can't just go to the store for them, but have to go through a sales representative (I've seen a guy once during my surgical rotation).

I would recommend Dansko clogs. They are extremely comfortable even after a long day on your feet.

I wear Calzuros. They are not cushioned; they are very supportive and hold your feet up for those long cases. Don't get the ones with the ventilation holes on the top; you will get blood on your feet.

Medimex Plogs are soooo comfortable... Ithink you can only buy them online.

I've tried many clogs and I like the Dansko Pro's by far the best. They are not as comfortable as tennis shoes on your feet for the first five minutes (or if you were only occasionally going to be on your feet), but after a long day on your feet, it really noticable how comfortable they are compared to anything else.

As for a masks, I would recommend wearing what everyone else wears if you are a MS3 as you don't want to look like one of those guys who's playing tennis for the first time with the $300 racquet. If you are a fourth year or above, wear whatever you like. There are many laboratory safety catalogs both paper and online that you can order from that will have styles that are much more appealing that the standard mask/faceshield.

I have had very good luck (and comfort) with Clarks clogs. I have a pair for the OR and one pair that I wear at home.

As for safetly glasses, the absolute best place to get them is at safetyglassesusa.com. I found them online a few years back. They have an awesome selection and the price per pair is around $5-$6. At that price, I ordered an assortment so that I could figure out which ones fit the best. Now I order a half dozen pair at a time. If I lose them or break'em, who cares...I just grab another set. Much better than when I broke my $100 Gargoyles!

Thank you for all the advice.

I ordered some shoes today, as well as some inexpensive safety glasses. I don't want to seem like a tool with the glasses it is just that last time I was with this attending he told the nurses to give me some to keep, and they didn't have any. So I figure it is best to get my own, since I have to have them for the HepC cases, and as a bonus they will be anti-fog. Same thing for the shoes, I don't really want to accidently get some nice HepC blood on my New Balance sneakers (yes I use the shoe covers but they are not perfect). I settled on some clogs that are autoclavable.

:) Treg