i need some help in the carving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enobeno

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i face some problem, in the dental anatomy subject, really i need some good hints, that can improve my carving skill ( next week we have exam for 5 marks).
also please if any one can tell me how can i make the wax smooth and shiny after carving.
And please if any one can give me some usefull links
Thank for every one.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, practice, practice, practice. I know no one wants to hear this----but waxing is something you just have to get good at. Take home an alcohol candle, your waxing kit and during study breaks play around with it.

Carving, some people believe in the carve-down technique (which is add an s-load of wax and then carve it down to the correct dimensions.) and others' the build-up method. (slowly adding to the correct dimensions. I a practice the build-up way. Example posteriors: I do the gingival 1/3 of my tooth and the occlusal outline first. So there is a bare area in the middle third. Then I form a wax-bridge to my contact points, and begin to add wax to the buccal and lingual middle thirds. This is important to do last, due to the fact, that the convexity of your axial walls will be further enhanced by adding more wax to the middle 3rd and not the entire axial wall at the same time. This will also give you better control of your dimensions. Occulsal table is simply a skill that must be worked-on. Once again, practice different styles, find what you like.

For smoothing info: To make your wax smooth----take your PKT of your choice, get it red-hot and place it in the area of the wax you want to smooth. This takes practice, but when mastered, it not only makes the wax smooth but also gives your buccal and lingual walls near perfect convexity. The idea is not to ruin what you have built by moving the hot PKT around but by keeping the PKT in one location and removing it quickly. PRACTICE THIS PRIOR TO THE EXAM. Next thing to do is have a fine nylon hose----that's right---- panty-hose. Get your friend to go buy it, if your a male :wink: . This will add shine and is a nice final smoother. Finally, just as you are about to hand-in the wax-up take your index finger and wipe the lateral side of your nose and you will have natural skin oil to wipe on your final wax-up. This is a legal move at our university, where as, vasaline, petro. jelly etc... are not. It definitely makes things look good.

Good luck, and try to bring stuff home to find what works best for you.

RRB

I just make a thin coping and make a cone for each cusp. Then I add each of the four slopes to the cusps and fill the rest in with minimal carving since I am not good at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
use women's stockings to smooth out little cracks and bumps... Gives your tooth a nice finish

Another tip on smoothing out your wax and making it shine. First dip a cotton roll in hot water and get it good and soaked. In one direction smooth out your wax. Then dip a cotton roll in cold water and go back and forth over your finished product. I was told this is called "shocking". Iwas also informed not to use pantyhose because occasionally the fibers will become embedded into the wax, but it has worked fine for some of my classmates.