I need some help PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midnight786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok currently i am a freshman and this is my 2nd semester in college.
let me tell you a bit about my situation my father want to send me to schools overseas when i am against it. i love this country and i am at tranquility with the people around me, friends, family, etc. my father wants to send me to new castle medical school in UK or to Pakistan Agha Khan University. he states that here in america you will have 11 years of school while over there you'll only have around 5 years of school. when i finish school over there i can come back to the united states and pass my USMLE in which ill get a job here. i find that to be difficult and at the same time i want to stay here in the US but my father has a point.

also i wanted to share another fact and ask for advice , as you know that i am currently a college student going to University of Central Oklahoma and i want to transfer to a bigger school Oklahoma University OU. i am facing a bit of depression and anxiety only because i guess i am suffering over the fact that i feel like i cant do it. i feel like there is no way ill become a medical physician which has been my goal since i first started to comprehend what i wish to do with my life. currently i am a biology major. the first semester i got a F in biology, B in college algerbra B in english comp C in history. DEVASTATING i know.... and now this semester i have an A in trig B in english comp and research C in chem lab and a D in chem lecture. What should i do?? is it easier to give up? should i accept the fact that i am so screwed beyond reason? is there no way for me to bring back my GPA to a 3.5 or hell a 4 even? ya i was a goof... i didnt put all the time i should have into my studies. ya i goofed off and messed around with friends. yes i probably didnt have the most efficient study habits... ya i started off weak but is there a chance to finish strong? i swear i am willing to turn all that around if i have a chance... question is do i? and if so what should i do? i also wonder if anyone has ever been in a worse situation or at least just as bad of a situation as me and how did they turn their academic world around? i didnt come here to express my sorrow... i came here for answers and people who would tell me the reality i am in and if i have gone past the point of no return. do i have a chance is the question and i also want to know once again if anyone whos been in my shoes who found a way to turn it around if they ever were in a turmoil such as mine.

any words of advice would be awesome
any recommendations
a guild
a solution
a strategy
anything would help

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna message you, or I think it's called "start a convo" now

i got a F in biology, B in college algerbra B in english comp C in history. DEVASTATING i know.... and now this semester i have an A in trig B in english comp and research C in chem lab and a D in chem lecture. What should i do??

Take a semester to remediate these classes at Central Oklahoma, then transfer to OklahomaU if that's really what you wanna do?

is there no way for me to bring back my GPA to a 3.5 or hell a 4 even?

AACOMAS recognizes grade replacement, so you can still manage a competitive GPA.

ya i was a goof... i didnt put all the time i should have into my studies. ya i goofed off and messed around with friends. yes i probably didnt have the most efficient study habits..

Stop.

my father want to send me to schools overseas when i am against it. i love this country and i am at tranquility with the people around me, friends, family, etc. my father wants to send me to new castle medical school in UK or to Pakistan Agha Khan University. he states that here in america you will have 11 years of school while over there you'll only have around 5 years of school. when i finish school over there i can come back to the united states and pass my USMLE in which ill get a job here. i find that to be difficult and at the same time i want to stay here in the US but my father has a point.

Enjoy your time in UG, learn how you study best, prepare for the MCAT. Hopefully by the time you're ready to apply you will have realized US medical school is the best option if you wish to practice here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're referring to my response as troll ish,
I just noticed that,
I went through something similar when I was applying to medical schools, so I didn't want to post my long story on the board and annoy people

If you wanna practice in the United States I don't recommend going to a foreign medical school. Direct your father to the information online showing that foreign medical graduates are having a very difficult time matching into residency programs in the United States.

If you wanna practice in the United States I don't recommend going to a foreign medical school. Direct your father to the information online showing that foreign medical graduates are having a very difficult time matching into residency programs in the United States.

How do foreign medical graduates have a difficult time in the us regarding residency?... and personally what would u think is the best ... 5 years over seas then coming here? I see many doctors here that are foreign medical graduates? What do u recommend?

Stay usa, finish your undergraduate here, and then go to medical school here. I wouldn't complicate it

I bet @MedNation907 did not refer to you. He referred to the OP instead.

If you're referring to my response as troll ish,
I just noticed that,
I went through something similar when I was applying to medical schools, so I didn't want to post my long story on the board and annoy people

How do foreign medical graduates have a difficult time in the us regarding residency?... and personally what would u think is the best ... 5 years over seas then coming here? I see many doctors here that are foreign medical graduates? What do u recommend?
I recommend not going to a foreign med school.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2014/04/residency-chances-offshore-medical-school-graduates.html

Notice this part:

However, the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates says that of the 26,678 residency positions offered, only 53% of US citizen graduates of offshore medical schools (US-IMGs) and 49.5% of non-US citizen offshore grads matched.

OP are you Indian or Asian?

Depression and anxiety are poorly managed over an anonymous internet message board.

Get yourself to your school's counseling center STAT!!!

ok currently i am a freshman and this is my 2nd semester in college.
let me tell you a bit about my situation my father want to send me to schools overseas when i am against it. i love this country and i am at tranquility with the people around me, friends, family, etc. my father wants to send me to new castle medical school in UK or to Pakistan Agha Khan University. he states that here in america you will have 11 years of school while over there you'll only have around 5 years of school. when i finish school over there i can come back to the united states and pass my USMLE in which ill get a job here. i find that to be difficult and at the same time i want to stay here in the US but my father has a point.

also i wanted to share another fact and ask for advice , as you know that i am currently a college student going to University of Central Oklahoma and i want to transfer to a bigger school Oklahoma University OU. i am facing a bit of depression and anxiety only because i guess i am suffering over the fact that i feel like i cant do it. i feel like there is no way ill become a medical physician which has been my goal since i first started to comprehend what i wish to do with my life. currently i am a biology major. the first semester i got a F in biology, B in college algerbra B in english comp C in history. DEVASTATING i know.... and now this semester i have an A in trig B in english comp and research C in chem lab and a D in chem lecture. What should i do?? is it easier to give up? should i accept the fact that i am so screwed beyond reason? is there no way for me to bring back my GPA to a 3.5 or hell a 4 even? ya i was a goof... i didnt put all the time i should have into my studies. ya i goofed off and messed around with friends. yes i probably didnt have the most efficient study habits... ya i started off weak but is there a chance to finish strong? i swear i am willing to turn all that around if i have a chance... question is do i? and if so what should i do? i also wonder if anyone has ever been in a worse situation or at least just as bad of a situation as me and how did they turn their academic world around? i didnt come here to express my sorrow... i came here for answers and people who would tell me the reality i am in and if i have gone past the point of no return. do i have a chance is the question and i also want to know once again if anyone whos been in my shoes who found a way to turn it around if they ever were in a turmoil such as mine.

any words of advice would be awesome
any recommendations
a guild
a solution
a strategy
anything would help

OP, the foreign docs you've seen are probably old dudes who come a time where it was easier for FMG's to come over. It's not like that anymore. It will be nearly impossible for you (a US citizen/resident) to practice here if you go abroad to study medicine. I've seen students of middle eastern background be tempted with words from their parents who mean well but simply do not know anything. My classmate freshman year went to Pakistan to study med school through his parents' desires (haven't heard from him ever again) Yes, the "European education is better" thinking is the norm mentality for people who live in certain countries like South America or Asia but for medicine here in the states, it's a different world. Residencies only go first to American graduates and as it is now, there's only enough residencies for our grads meaning you'd be hard-pressed in finding one if you graduate med school abroad. Wanna be a doctor here? Then study medicine here! Tell your daddy that. It's bad enough you're suffering from depression. Sending you away in a futile attempt to work back here in the future will just worsen your mentality state.

Personal experience: There was a showcase of 2 fmg's in my home state. One works as a taxi driver. the other as a waiter in a popular bar
I myself, was a volunteer scribe for a doctor, along with some fmg from colombia. They were waiting for some golden opportunity to arise. Never did during my time there. I actually got "dismissed" as a scribe to leave a spot for another FMG from some european country. The doc herself was an a FMG from decades ago so I guess she had a soft spot for them. How she found them, I'm not sure.

OP, the foreign docs you've seen are probably old dudes who come a time where it was easier for FMG's to come over. It's not like that anymore. It will be nearly impossible for you (a US citizen/resident) to practice here if you go abroad to study medicine. I've seen students of middle eastern background be tempted with words from their parents who mean well but simply do not know anything. My classmate freshman year went to Pakistan to study med school through his parents' desires (haven't heard from him ever again) Yes, the "European education is better" thinking is the norm mentality for people who live in certain countries like South America or Asia but for medicine here in the states, it's a different world. Residencies only go first to American graduates and as it is now, there's only enough residencies for our grads meaning you'd be hard-pressed in finding one if you graduate med school abroad. Wanna be a doctor here? Then study medicine here! Tell your daddy that. It's bad enough you're suffering from depression. Sending you away in a futile attempt to work back here in the future will just worsen your mentality state.

Personal experience: There was a showcase of 2 fmg's in my home state. One works as a taxi driver. the other as a waiter in a popular bar
I myself, was a volunteer scribe for a doctor, along with some fmg from colombia. They were waiting for some golden opportunity to arise. Never did during my time there. I actually got "dismissed" as a scribe to leave a spot for another FMG from some european country. The doc herself was an a FMG from decades ago so I guess she had a soft spot for them. How she found them, I'm not sure.

I was just about to say this.