I need some help! something in my BIOII class :S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctaborda

hispanic-pre-med
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, this is my first smester in school and I was put into BIOII, I had no choice, anyways, I have a test neeeext monday the 14th, and well I just saw the study guide and I am CLUELESS to this.

What the hell is this!? I mean all the chemistry stuff, we havent seen none of that in the classes or in the textbooks!?...

This is an extract from my study guide.
-----------------------------------
Answer the following questions on the metabolism of the Bacteria, Archaea and Eukarya based on the equations below that summarize their metabolisms. Some questions may have more than one answer. Be able to assign the metabolic terms for each of these metabolic summaries: aerobic heterotroph, anaerobic heterotroph, chemoautotroph, photoautotroph, oxygenic photosynthesis, anoxygenic photosynthesis.

A. 2NH4+ + O2 à 4H+ + 2H2O + 2NO2- + energy

B. RUBP + CO2 à 2 PGA

C. 6CO2 + 6H2O à C6H12O6 + 6O2

D. 6CO2 + 6H2S à C6H12O6 + 6S

E. CO2 + H2 à CH4 + 2H2O + energy

F. CH2O + S à H2S + CO2 + energy

G. FeS + H2S à FeS2 + H2 + energy

H. N2 + 6H + energy à 2NH3

I. CH2O à CH3CH2OH or CH3COCH3 + energy

J. C6H12O6 + 6O2 à 6CO2 + 6 H2O + energy

K. 2 NO3- + 10e- + 12 H+ à N2 + 6H2O + energy

___ Predominant metabolism of humans.

___ Predominant metabolism of brewer’s yeast.

___ Anoxygenic Photoautotroph

___ How plants and many bacteria fix carbon

___ Carbohydrates are source of energy and carbon

___ methanogenic bacterium

___ Purple sulfur bacterium

___ Cyanobacterium

___ The metabolism that changed the atmosphere from

reducing to oxidizing

___ Chemoautotroph

___ Archaean bacterium living in hot springs

___ Clostridium botulinum

___ Bacterium fixes Nitrogen gas from atmosphere

___ Bacterium releases fixed nitrogen back into the

atmosphere

___ Hydrogen bacterium

___ anaerobic heterotroph

___ Product is rotten egg smell

___ Nitrifying bacterium

___ Sulfate reducing bacterium

___ Metabolism of Ulva

___ Metabolism of fern

___ Metabolism of Paramecium

___ Metabolism of sponges

___ Metabolism of diatom

___ Metabolism present at beginning of life

___ Hydrogen sulfide bacterium

___ Uses mineral as substrate

Members don't see this ad.

This does look really hard core... I can answer some of it for ya.

>aerobic heterotroph: aerobic means that it requires oxygen, and heterotroph means that it uses carbon dioxide as the carbon source.

>anaerobic heterotroph: this is the same, excpet it doesn't require oxygen.

>chemoautotroph: chemotrophs use electrons from reduced inorganic compounds as an energy source. They uses CO2 as their chief carbon source.

>photoautotroph: use light as a source of energy and CO2 as chief source of carbon.

>oxygenic photosynthesis, anoxygenic photosynthesis: I have never heard of these terms, but I would look them up.

>A-K: These look like they should match up with metabolic processes, like glycolysis, Krebs Cycle, Fermentation, etc.

>For the predominant metabolism of brewer's yeast, I would say alcohol fermentation.

>For plants and bacteria that fix carbon, nitrogen fixation, I would think??

I am not going to go through and define all of these for you. Have you done reading for this class? I would assume this stuff is in your text. I am actually taking microbiology this semester and we just finished up a chapter on this stuff a couple of weeks ago, about microbial metabolism. Do you know anyone who has Microbiology: An Introduction by Tortora, Funke, and Case? I would recommend reading the fifth chapter of it. Or, you could check out the metabolism and plant metabolism chapters from Campbell and Reece's Biology textbook, one of my favs.

Good luck and hope this helps you a bit. Night.

kansas said:
This does look really hard core... I can answer some of it for ya.

>aerobic heterotroph: aerobic means that it requires oxygen, and heterotroph means that it uses carbon dioxide as the carbon source.

>anaerobic heterotroph: this is the same, excpet it doesn't require oxygen.

>chemoautotroph: chemotrophs use electrons from reduced inorganic compounds as an energy source. They uses CO2 as their chief carbon source.

>photoautotroph: use light as a source of energy and CO2 as chief source of carbon.

>oxygenic photosynthesis, anoxygenic photosynthesis: I have never heard of these terms, but I would look them up.

>A-K: These look like they should match up with metabolic processes, like glycolysis, Krebs Cycle, Fermentation, etc.

>For the predominant metabolism of brewer's yeast, I would say alcohol fermentation.

>For plants and bacteria that fix carbon, nitrogen fixation, I would think??

I am not going to go through and define all of these for you. Have you done reading for this class? I would assume this stuff is in your text. I am actually taking microbiology this semester and we just finished up a chapter on this stuff a couple of weeks ago, about microbial metabolism. Do you know anyone who has Microbiology: An Introduction by Tortora, Funke, and Case? I would recommend reading the fifth chapter of it. Or, you could check out the metabolism and plant metabolism chapters from Campbell and Reece's Biology textbook, one of my favs.

Good luck and hope this helps you a bit. Night.

OP's too lazy. All of those stuff are fairly simple and can be easily googled. Let him/her learn to be a little independent on his/her own's education. sheesh.

Members don't see this ad :)
cheapdate said:
OP's too lazy. All of those stuff are fairly simple and can be easily googled. Let him/her learn to be a little independent on his/her own's education. sheesh.
hehe I kinda agree. The post is long but it is double spaced, and it is matching after all. Thorough explanations for all of those terms could certainly be found online (what can't?) if not in a textbook. The question is lengthy but more tedious than difficult. It does seem a little like asking us to do his homework for him. :p

Oh whoops, upon looking back I realized the kid just started college he says, so cut him some slack. Anyway, yeah learn to love Google dude, that's the best advice I can give for this and anything; it is just a life saver in general. Or office hours. The 14th is plenty far away anyway. Probably don't turn to classmates for help unless they're attractive--you'll likely end up wasting time.

ctaborda said:
Well, this is my first smester in school and I was put into BIOII, I had no choice, anyways, I have a test neeeext monday the 14th, and well I just saw the study guide and I am CLUELESS to this.

What the hell is this!? I mean all the chemistry stuff, we havent seen none of that in the classes or in the textbooks!?..

Perhaps dropping this course and adding an English course would be more helpful. Also a "Google 101" course would do wonders.

kansas thanks for your reply, in fact what you answered for me I can define it, I am jut confused because I dont understand how the hell he wants us to match all of that with like the 2NH4+ + O2 à 4H+ + 2H2O + 2NO2- + energy for example... but thanks anyways..

damn, if im asking is because I havent seen any of this in my class, like nothing!..
and for you OSUdoc08, did I ask you for english help? Same goes for shredder, I am not asking for you to do homework for me.... I am only thinking that you know people in this forum who are more advanced than me cuz im only starting might at least tell me what the hell is it that I am looking at... I am not looking for answers, im looking more for an explanation at how all of that that I posted goes together.

I just asked something in this huge forum because I dont get this part exactly
"2NH4+ + O2 à 4H+ + 2H2O + 2NO2- + energy ,"RUBP + CO2 à 2 PGA,
6CO2 + 6H2O à C6H12O6 + 6O2, 6CO2 + 6H2S à C6H12O6 + 6S , CO2 + H2 à CH4 + 2H2O + energy

Like what the hell has to do with anything else in there?

well Thanks..
Carlos.

necrodq3.png

Bots are apparently incapable of reading the dates on here. Although it wouldn't be terribly hard to code. Just get a crawler to grab the content of the html tag containing the date.

Here's the xpath for you, so you understand how to do it in the future:

Define an int last as the number of "form[@class='InlineModForm section']/ol[@class='messageList']/li[@class='message']" tags you've got in the html doc.

String xpath = "//form[@class='InlineModForm section']/ol[@class='messageList']/li[@class='message'][last]/div[@class=mesageInfo primaryContent']/div[@class='messageMeta ToggleTriggerAnchor']/div[@class='privateControls']/span[@class='item muted']/span[@class='authorEnd']/a[@class='datePermalink'/span[@class='DateTime']";

Note the "/li[@class='message'][last]" portion. This makes sure you know the date of the very last post, so that you can ensure it is within some parameters you define (i.e. you don't want to post on something >1 years old, whatever).

Silly Nigerian programmers. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user