I need some help

PinguinKinder

Feb 1, 2011
    Hi!

I am in my last year in my program (it s a Developmental program although a lot of the work we do is Clinical). Anyways, I have not been happy here as the climate of the program is not what I expected and it has been really, really slow to get publications out. I have days when I hope it will get better and I'm thinking to stick around longer so I get at least 1 publications until graduation, but I also have days when I say 'forget it, just graduate." I want to stay in research and get a research post-doc and I am currently looking for programs, but I procrastinate updating my CV and asking for letters of recommendations b/c I'm worried I don't have enough publications (only 1 article and 1 chapter). Then again if I wait until I graduate, I'll have to apply next year and that will make me have 1 year gap between graduation and the post-doc. My advisor told me everyone who graduated from the program got what they wanted, but I don't know...

I'll appreciate any advice anyone can give on my situation.

PinguinKinder

Feb 1, 2011
      Hi! I only have 1 chapter and 1 article submitted. I feel discouraged because my relationship with my advisor although good, I cannot say it is what one would expect from a mentor-mentee relationship. Maybe I expect to much..

One specific situation that I am dealing with now is that I want to work on a second paper that builds somewhat on the first. I sent my advisor a draft and got feedback on it. However, the advisor suggested that we meet to work on it together, which is a good thing because no matter how much I try or think I got it right, it still isn't right. I'm at the point where I'm okay getting this extra help. She asked me yesterday when I would like to meet and it seems the only day available for the entire next week for her is Monday (when I'm swamped with clinical work). I gave 2 times when I can meet, but haven't heard back. I'm confussed b/c I don't know if to continue with the paper or not because it seems to 'contradict' the first and I have the feeling that this second paper should have been the 'easy', first one, and then the one I submitted the second. I feel I'm stuck and unproductive.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.