I Need Some Important Advice Please!....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the moose

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third yr student at UC Berkeley, and my GPA is around 3.0. I have taken my gen. chem and got a B, while I've taken one semester of physics and biology and receiving C's on both of them. I know those grades arent that good and I havent taken my DAT's yet, so im wondering what are my chances of getting in to a dental school(meaning how well would i have to do on the rest of my classes and my DAT's)..also what other courses beyond the general chem,o chem, physics, and bio are required for most dental schools...any other advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated...please reply as soon as possible because im stressing out now!!..thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Moose,

I have a 2.76 cumulative GPA, but I have completed my BS degree and the dental schools suggested that I get 20s across the board enable to increase my application competitiveness.

Everyone's case is different, I would suggest that you contact your dental school of interest and discuss your academic situation with them and believe me, admissions coordinators/directors are REALLY good about suggesting what you should/should not do!

If you get 20s on your DAT maintain your 3.0 (with "A"s and "B"s in your last 2-3 semesters) by the time you graduate, you'll be fine!

:cool:

hey moose...

go bears~! :D i am a cal alum..class of 2000! i don't think you need to fret too much yet, as i have experienced similar results in my lower div science courses at cal as well. i think what's important from this point forward would be to be on the upward trend...trends are important...if you can show improvement in your last semesters, then the previous grades can easily be overlooked or explained.

the avg. gpa for a dental applicant is around 3.0...so you're still very much in the game. shoot for 20's or above on your dat's...i recommend taking a prep course...i took kaplan's and it was great! (see past posts about this topic)

ah, one word of warning...you should take chem 1b if you want to get into ucla. i found out very late in the game that ucla doesn't honor cal's chem series...so you should take 2 semesters gchem, 2 semesters ochem, and 1 semester biochem. if in doubt, call the dental school's admissions and find out for sure what the pre-reqs are and whether or not the coursework you have completed will satisfy it or not. i didn't find out until the day of my interview that i was short one class...thus i am faced with a semester of chem ahead of me that will flip my daily schedule around drastically. :p

don't worry...you still have a very good shot at dental school...good luck!

-wasabi007