I need some major advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cOnFusEdFuTuRMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Senior and Graduating in May 2011 with a Bachelor's Degree in Biology and a Minor in Chemistry. I would like to go to Medical or Osteopathy school, but I have no idea what my chances are...I am freaking out and I don't know what to do at this point.

My GPA right now is a 2.7 and My Science GPA is a 2.0. I am taking more science classes this semester in order to boost both my cumulative and my Science GPAs.

I am planning on taking the KAPLAN MCAT course to prepare myself for the upcoming MCAT exam after I graduate.

What should be my next step? I am afraid that I won't be accepted into any MD/DO schools. I was thinking about Post-Bacc, but I don't even know if that will help my situation. Should I volunteer some more? Take my Master's?

I don't even know if I should go to the US Schools or Caribbean schools.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to take a step back before you start worrying about your application. First, when did you decide medical school was your goal? Second, why do you think you've been struggling with your science courses? We need to figure out what happened to your GPA before you worry about the MCAT or ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
After you figure out what's keeping you from earning good grades, which should be your next step, you could retake some of your lowest grades, earning As, and take advantage of the DO grade replacement policy. This could help raise your application GPA quickly, as only the most recent grade is calculated into your application GPA, provided the credit hours are the same or greater.

Ever since I started college, I always wanted to pursue medical school, even when I was in high school. I want to make a difference in my community..and the world even. It's not about the money or anything like that. It's about my passion to provide care for the ill to the best of my ability. In my Junior year, I started taking my major science class such as Cell Biology and I was struggling to get an A..even B. I really tried to make the grades to the best of my ability. From looking at this forum, I'm starting to get nervous because no one is in the same shoes as I am.

I do want to pursue medical school and I feel like I am lost at this point.

What is the DO quick replacement policy? Do I have to go to the university I went to?

What is the DO quick replacement policy? Do I have to go to the university I went to?
It's a "grade replacement policy." You do not have to retake a class at the same school. In fact the name of class doesn't need to be identical, so long as the course description is demonstrably similar in the course catalogs. Of course, this won't do you any good if you get Bs and Cs.