I need suggestions on math review books for post bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbac22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked at any math problems for 8 years before this month (I worked through AB calc in high school). So I started reviewing to prep for post bac science courses this fall (so I should get through at least pre-calc by then, preferably through calc). I reviewed through basic math pretty quickly, now I'm wondering if anyone can recommend good books to use to review. I think I basically just need to review/re-learn slightly more advanced Algebra through pre-calc. Any suggestions would be fantastic. Has anyone used the Schaum's outlines series for this?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you planning on taking calculus in your postbac? The only real higher math you will need is the ability to solve multiple unknowns in algebra (for chemistry and physics) and to solve quadratics (for physics). Knowledge of integrals and derivatives would be useful for proofs in Chemistry, but I am not sure you would actually have to solve for them in any class you take.

I didn't have any math in over ten years and haven't had a problem.

If you are trying to get a leg up on your postbac studies, I would suggest studying some biology, particularly molecular biology and genetics which has certainly changed since you were last in school eight years ago. You will reap more rewards familiarizing yourself with the main topics in the classes you will be taking then working that hard at math.

Good luck!

I haven't looked at any math problems for 8 years before this month (I worked through AB calc in high school). So I started reviewing to prep for post bac science courses this fall (so I should get through at least pre-calc by then, preferably through calc). I reviewed through basic math pretty quickly, now I'm wondering if anyone can recommend good books to use to review. I think I basically just need to review/re-learn slightly more advanced Algebra through pre-calc. Any suggestions would be fantastic. Has anyone used the Schaum's outlines series for this?

Scahum's outline series are great. I have one for calc and for college algebra. cuts everything down to the basics with good example and practice problems. I especially recommend the college algebra book to review advanced Algebra through pre-calc. the trig book is great too.