I need to choose a DPT program, deadlines soon, please help me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmdpt2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very grateful to have been accepted to 5 programs (already told MUSC no because the program starts too early for me) and waitlisted at one (UF)...but I am having the most difficult time making a decision, any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated especially since some deadlines are at the end of the week or month! I'm from FL and trying to consider if I should stay in-state, save money, and move to a different state to practice or just go to a different state and pay back loans later...I also want to be in a fun city with other opportunities to relax and have a life when I can.

1. Marymount University- I liked the students and teachers, they were all very nice and helpful, just concerned with the curriculum (doesn't offer as many electives/different courses). Tuition is approx. 26,000 a year

2. USF- Tampa is a pretty cool city, would be taking classes with med school students the first year, but also unsure of the curriculum diversity. Tuition is approx. 18,000 a year

3. UT- Memphis has a lot of history, the faculty and students were nice, and I loved the curriculum diversity, but sometimes the city looks really gray and hazy, and I know the crime level isn't the best. Tuition is approx. 22,000 a year

4. UK- My favorite school in terms of facilities, students and faculty were nice, like the service based approach but Lexington, KY is really far away from my friends and family and I don't know anyone there so I'd be starting over new. Tuition is expensive, approx. 32,000 a year

Please share your thoughts, any advice or tips are welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

Are finances an issue? If so, then maybe don't go to UK where it's $14,000 more per year than USF.

Look at the 1st time pass rates for the boards, to see which school seems to prepare students the best.

Look at clinical opportunities/requirements. Which one has more availability/options for clinical sites?

All else being equal...go with your gut feeling. Which one did you think "wow, I can really see myself here for the next 3 years"?

I am very grateful to have been accepted to 5 programs (already told MUSC no because the program starts too early for me) and waitlisted at one (UF)...but I am having the most difficult time making a decision, any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated especially since some deadlines are at the end of the week or month! I'm from FL and trying to consider if I should stay in-state, save money, and move to a different state to practice or just go to a different state and pay back loans later...I also want to be in a fun city with other opportunities to relax and have a life when I can.

1. Marymount University- I liked the students and teachers, they were all very nice and helpful, just concerned with the curriculum (doesn't offer as many electives/different courses). Tuition is approx. 26,000 a year

2. USF- Tampa is a pretty cool city, would be taking classes with med school students the first year, but also unsure of the curriculum diversity. Tuition is approx. 18,000 a year

3. UT- Memphis has a lot of history, the faculty and students were nice, and I loved the curriculum diversity, but sometimes the city looks really gray and hazy, and I know the crime level isn't the best. Tuition is approx. 22,000 a year

4. UK- My favorite school in terms of facilities, students and faculty were nice, like the service based approach but Lexington, KY is really far away from my friends and family and I don't know anyone there so I'd be starting over new. Tuition is expensive, approx. 32,000 a year

Please share your thoughts, any advice or tips are welcomed!

From the criteria that you listed above, I'm not sure why USf isn't a slam dunk here. You state that Tampa is a fun city, it is the least expensive program, and it has a good pass rate for the NPTE. Why look anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
The only advice I can give is for Marymount. I enjoyed the interview day as well- the students and teachers seemed happy and really laid back. What made my decline is the really high cost of their program coupled with how insane the cost of living is in Northern VA. My fiance's brother lived up there working as a construction manager for a very large company, and was shelling out at least $1500 a month to live in a rented out basement apt that you had to share the bathroom and kitchen with the owner, then if you're commuting more than 5 miles, prepare to sit on 95 for at least an hour one way....yikes. Just seems like too much outside stress while being in pt school. I also noticed that their curriculum was a bit smaller than most, and was surprised by the lack of credits during the first semester compared to other programs. It ultimately is up to your gut-Good luck on your decision!

Thank you all...really, all of your comments have helped me tremendously and I am so grateful! I'm slowly starting to realize that I could save a lot of money and hassle by staying in FL with an in-state tuition. I guess I wanted a new experience in a different town, but there's nothing wrong with getting a degree and moving to a different city later. :)