I need your help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Cut.em.up

Do not seek the treasure!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just been invited to speak at our pre-med club on the admissions process and how and where to apply. The sponser of the club, a professor, is taking a group of srudents in late April to tour the "New Ross Campus" in Knoxville. Ross came and spoke to the club a few months ago and sold our advisor on Ross. She is our main pre-med advisor and most students take her advise as truth.

At this presentation that is coming up, i would like to sneak in why going south of the border is a terrible idea. The professor is 100% going to try to shoot me down. I have read all of the threads stickied about the carrib, however i would like to have input on how i should go about this.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing you are a pre-med student? Honestly speaking, it is a uphill battle.. but you have SDN on your side. I strongly suggest you tell pre-meds to legitimately read through SDN. Theres a stigma that SDN is full of gunner and whiners but all jokes aside, SDN was my #1 resource when it came to apply and interviewing. I wouldn't go against your advisor on the carib because as a student you don't have any credentials to back it up. But sell the students on how useful and SDN is as a resource and that they should come on here themselves. The ones that actually put in the time to look through it will realize, Caribs is no bueno.

Maybe you could schedule a meeting with that advisor before the speaking event and mention how SDN does not recommend caribs?

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, i just hate to see her push this school as a good option. Yes, i am pre-med but i have been accepted into a US-MD school. I will just put the match data on my powerpoint and let it speak for itsself.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your role in this club? Do the members value/respect your opinions?

I have just been invited to speak at our pre-med club on the admissions process and how and where to apply. The sponser of the club, a professor, is taking a group of srudents in late April to tour the "New Ross Campus" in Knoxville. Ross came and spoke to the club a few months ago and sold our advisor on Ross. She is our main pre-med advisor and most students take her advise as truth.

At this presentation that is coming up, i would like to sneak in why going south of the border is a terrible idea. The professor is 100% going to try to shoot me down. I have read all of the threads stickied about the carrib, however i would like to have input on how i should go about this.

Do you have to speak at this meeting? Since you are an accepted USMD student I’d just tell your advisor no and list the reasons why. Give her a handout with the reasons and your documentation for the items on the list. Tell her since she is pro Ross the best you could do is speak to the other side. And maybe report her for her very bad judgement. Maybe Ross will hire her and she’ll end up on an Island in the Caribbean.

Reactions: 1 user
What is your role in this club? Do the members value/respect your opinions?
was one of the founders, left the club this year because of how busy I was.

Do you have to speak at this meeting? Since you are an accepted USMD student I’d just tell your advisor no and list the reasons why. Give her a handout with the reasons and your documentation for the items on the list. Tell her since she is pro Ross the best you could do is speak to the other side. And maybe report her for her very bad judgement. Maybe Ross will hire her and she’ll end up on an Island in the Caribbean.
I want to speak at the meeting. I feel like there is misinformation given since i left. She originally invited me to speak on applying to medical school since i was a successful applicant.

I want to speak at the meeting. I feel like there is misinformation given since i left. She originally invited me to speak on applying to medical school since i was a successful applicant.

I agree your voice needs to be heard. Maybe just talk about your experience and if someone asks you if you applied off shore you could say”thankfully I didn’t have to”! Good luck.

Just show the NRMP matching data that reveals that some 50+% of IMGs go unmatched.

Reactions: 1 users
Show a picture of the poop emoji with Ross University’s logo on top.

That should be sufficient.

A few things I heard in a recent Ross recruiting meeting:-
For-profit, Funnel model where only the best graduate whereas US-MD is an inverted funnel, Many specialty programs filter out IMGs.
I was in the same boat as OP, an accepted US-MD student trying to expose the truth about Carib schools except I was against an actual Ross prof not just a pre-med advisor.

Last edited:
Just show the NRMP matching data that reveals that some 50+% of IMGs go unmatched.
Planned on showing that. Most of my powerpoint is figures from the sticky threads
Show a picture of the poop emoji with Ross University’s logo on top.

That should be sufficient.
I will put that on the title slide
A few things I heard in a recent Ross recruiting meeting:-
For-profit, Funnel model where only the best graduate whereas US-MD is an inverted funnel, Many specialty programs filter out IMGs.
I was in the same boat as OP, an accepted US-MD student trying to expose the truth about Carib schools expect I was against an actual Ross prof not just a pre-med advisor.
Had a chance to do that when Ross came to school. I should have been there. Now my school's Bio department has turned into a Ross feeder program.

@Dr.Cut.em.up Undergraduate institutions and Ross University are birds of the same feather. The latter is just the more distorted cousin of what the former is becoming as education has become an income revenue stream for administrators as they continue to cut out the middle men (professors and faculty). Universities offer students the opportunity to learn and gain human capital, but actual gains in financial capital are increasingly unseen by recent graduates in the job market with youth unemployment and high friction barista type jobs being more of a common occurrence for new grads. Institutions like Ross offer these undergraduate institutions a chance at misdirection so students can direct their anger at themselves or at Ross rather than realizing many programs at a school are not analogous to getting a scaling job with an actual paycheck.