I Need Your Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sassy24673

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to SDN in advance for replying to my post! :)

I am currently a second year graduate student in an MPH program. As far as MCATs, I am signed up to take the MCAT in 2 weeks (April 12th), but so far I have been scoring in the 25-27 range. This past quarter has been really hectic and time-consuming for me, and I didn't have as much time to study as I wanted or thought I would. I planned on taking the MCAT in April, and then registering to take the MCAT again in July (so I would take it twice and have the experience going into it from April exam). But, I would still submit my AMCAS app in June so it could start getting processed.

My question is, should I go ahead and take the MCAT twice (April and July) to get a feel for it during the April one, or should I just reschedule my test for July only if I feel I can do better (just take it once)?

Any advice, or ppl in the same boat?

Thanks so much! :luck:

PS- I tried posting this thread earlier but my comp is being weird so I wasn't sure if it went through. So if you see this more than once, sorry ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a second year graduate student in an MPH program. As far as MCATs, I am signed up to take the MCAT in 2 weeks (April 12th), but so far I have been scoring in the 25-27 range. This past quarter has been really hectic and time-consuming for me, and I didn't have as much time to study as I wanted or thought I would. I planned on taking the MCAT in April, and then registering to take the MCAT again in July (so I would take it twice and have the experience going into it from April exam). But, I would still submit my AMCAS app in June so it could start getting processed.

My question is, should I go ahead and take the MCAT twice (April and July) to get a feel for it during the April one, or should I just reschedule my test for July only if I feel I can do better (just take it once)?

PS- I tried posting this thread earlier but my comp is being weird so I wasn't sure if it went through. So if you see this more than once, sorry ! :)

I would look at it this way: Do you feel fully prepared (or as ready as you can realistically get) for April? If not, then I would suggest not taking it in April, especially if you can get some solid studying done in the interim until you take the July test. I would imagine it looks much better getting one better score (July), then a worse score (April) and a better score (July) combined. As for getting the *real* experience, are you enrolled in a course for the MCAT? If so, you should be taking practice exams which should suffice for simulating a real MCAT experience. Also, it's highly unlikely that your score will drastically increase or decrease from April to July, so I recommend just taking it in July and doing well.

Take it only once if you can help it. Some schools consider both scores when looking at your file, others average the two scores, and others take the highest in each section.

You said you are scoring in the 25-27 range. Is that with Kaplan tests or AAMC tests? From my experience, the Kaplan tests weren't very helpful and weren't good predictors of my score either. The AAMC tests are much more accurate as they are actual old MCAT tests.

The best advice I can give you is take the MCAT when you are ready so you get the best score possible. Submit your AMCAS in June and nail the MCAT in July. Your scores should be available early August so you won't be too far behind in the applicant pool. Whatever you do, don't wait to submit your AMCAS as it can take 5-6 weeks for them to verify it during the busy season.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, as AmazingGOB suggested, judge your score via the AAMC released tests and not the Kaplan ones. Also, note that free test they let you take (#3, I think) is very old, famously too easy, and won't do a good job letting you estimating your score, either. Stick to the very newest AAMC releases and you'll have a very good idea of where you stand.

Now, if you're still scoring 25-27, I really don't think it'd be a good idea to test in April. A score like this is simply too low for the vast, vast majority of schools in the US. If you're pulling down less than a 30 (or maybe a 28 or 29 if you're in a very non-competitive state), you should probably wait until July.

What others have stated. It is much, much, much better to do well ONCE and not have to retake.

It is NOT in your best interest to 'try for it' to get that experience and then try again.

Many schools will penalize you for it.

Some schools will average your scores, others will take your second, higher score with a grain of salt since you had taken it before. Your MCAT score is one of the most important indicator of your app, please take care of it.

If you took the old AAMC MCAT exams and are scoring 25-27, wait until July to take it, if it's Kaplan's, I think they are usually harder than the real thing. I highly suggest taking the AAMC MCAT, they will give you a much more accurate gauge of where you will stand.

Also, keep in mind that your AAMC application takes between 2 weeks and a month to verify, and most schools won't start sending secondaries until late July so you will not be penalized by a July MCAT.

Also, if you want 'that experience' of the MCAT, just take a practice one under the same condition as a real exam.

Don't take the MCAT for practice!!

Schools will see your scores from April and may or may not decide to interview based on the April scores. Take the MCAT when you are ready. Take the MCAT when you are confident that you can score to the best of your ability. As others have responded, try to gauge your performance on previous MCAT exams. Kaplan is good but the REAL THING IS BETTER. Good luck.

I would only take the MCAT once. Also, do not take the MCAT until you are scoring over 30 on practice exams. I was scoring under 30, so I studied full-time for 2 months and then took the MCAT in August, having already committed myself by submitting my AMCAS application at the earliest date, which I think was June if I remember correctly.

Common theme here--don't take it until you're completely ready.

Also, try the MCAT forum. They have some nice posters over there.