!#* I Need Your Opinion *#!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kilerfornia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guyz ... :D

Im a new member to this site and i just registered today and i had this one question in my head. I have a General GPA = 3.1 and Science GPA = 3.5 and i got a 19 on my DAT'z. I applied for 10 schools last year around January which is pretty late and i got ZERO interviews ?? any ideas on what i should do next ?? Should i do a masters? Retake the DAT ??

Please give me as much information as you can and your time is greatly appreciated. Thank You :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN!

Your scores are ok, but your application time was so late that you never had a realistic shot without having very high scores.

More info is needed to give you a meaningful answer:

What schools did you apply to
College major and average credit load per semester
Any classes at community college
Any major blemishes on your record
DAT score breakdown
Any dental experience/research/shadowing
Is there anything to set you apart from all the other applicants with average scores

With this info you'll get some great advice! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I really dont remember all the schools i applied to but i remember a couple ... Temple, Howard, BU, Tufts, Creighton, Meharry, NYU, Loma Linda and a couple others to a total of around 15 schools ...

College major was biology .. credit load was 13-14 per semster

CHEM 1&2 , PHY 1&2 in community college, the rest in University.

I did a couple of shadowing experinces with both a general dentist and a surgeon...

My DAT breakdown i do not remember that well ... i got a 21 in BIO, 17 in ORGO and i think the same in CHEM but i got low in the PAT

The only thing that i would think would put me apart than average score students is that i have a HUGE medical and dental history in my family, we are all doctors and dentists, but thats about it ! ...

Help !!:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Your numbers are good enough to get you an interview...but everyone else here will tell you, if there is one major deciding factor as to whether or not you score an interview, it's TIMING. The application is available every year beginning sometime in May, and it's important to have your LORs, transcripts, personal statement, etc. ready before the application is available. It should be your priority to submit as soon as possible, whether or not you have taken the DAT.

If you still wanted to apply this cycle, you might still have a shot as it is not as late as January, but its a lot of money to send to AADSAS and schools if you aren't confident about your chances.

Maybe take the year off building up your research or shadowing experience, and apply the first possible day next cycle. Also, you might consider re-taking the DAT to improve your scores, and hopefully be more competitive than "average". Good luck :)

Last edited:
Thats what i figured the smart thing to do it what victoria suggested that i buckleup and re-take my DAT for the nxt cycle and build up research and shadowing experinces , i was also thinkin about doing a master - MBA with a health care concentration ... i dont want to be sitting at home just doin research and shadowing ... ??:hardy:

I don't know, it seems to me like the people who go for post-bac are people who have either been out of school for a while, or had really poor GPAs (sub-3.0). I think improving your DAT scores and submitting early next cycle, in addition to more shadowing or research experience, should surely guarantee you at least one interview. If you're concerned about not having enough to do, perhaps search for a job? Saving up now is a great idea, since you really won't have free time in dental school to hold down more than 10-15 hours a week at a job.

The other issue i have is that i have 2 sisters - one that lives in houston and one that lives in Virginia ... so i was looking at Baylor University and VCU and i wanted to go and live there for the nxt period of time so that wen i apply for school at either of these schools i will be instate ... or should i stay were i am in florida and this is not a good idea ??

Maybe? I mean Florida only has UF for in-state residents since Nova is private...but Texas has 3 public schools, so you'd have a better shot. Moving is a big deal, and unless you're excited about it anyway, then it would really suck if you were rejected from those schools. It's up to you!

Im gettin sick of south florida believe it or not so im lookin at this move as a new start and a positive push forward. florida is too laid bak and there is too much fun here for anyone to concentrate on anythin .... i think if i move to texas i really cant go wrong since texas by law has to accept alot of instate applicants :D

Wow people really move here (Texas) to apply to dental school? Hmm...

I lived in Naples, FL up until undergrad, and I know what you mean haha...like I said, it's up to you, but it sounds like you were looking for a reason to get out of FL anyway, so why not?

Ive been wanting to move , it is not because of dental school but i figured if i was going to move i was goin to put dental school as my guidlines ...:thumbup:

I would think twice about moving to TX for dent school. State requirements are strict and you'd have to live here for a year without going to school before you're considered a resident. Even then, the schools tend to be biased. I'd go for your state schools, plus a bunch of private ones.

wth i thought application deadline is like dec 1st or jan 1st. is OP trolling?