I picked the wrong school!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deelau

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really believe I chose the wrong medical school to attend. I withdrew from the one I truly want to go. I am miserbale about the place I chose. What can I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Fall in love with where you're going, and/or pray to get off a waitlist elsewhere. Look into doing some 4th year rotations where you originally wanted to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
ummm...it teaches future SDNers a lesson...NEVER take the "School A v. School B" threads into serious consideration in making a final decision in picking between medical schools.

it seems like you picked Michigan over USC (the school you really love) because of what most prestige-***** SDNers told you to do. tsk tsk

ummm...it teaches future SDNers a lesson...NEVER take the "School A v. School B" threads into serious consideration in making a final decision in picking between medical schools.

it seems like you picked Michigan over USC (the school you really love) because of what most prestige-***** SDNers told you to do. tsk tsk

:thumbup: another lesson is to never take advice from funkydrmonkey!

That's not very fair. Hardly anyone brought up prestige in his thread (the only one who did included cheaper costs and a chance to live in a different area as well), with most replies citing the importance of fit and costs. Considering this quote by the OP...
I decided to go to UMich scince they gave some money and I felt a good gut feeling there.
...the prestige-***** jab is a little unwarranted.

I think the attitude shift, at least with what's his "online attitude" has been, is the real puzzling part. How do you go from "a good gut feeling" to being miserable about Michigan in one month, before you've even started?

Dude USC is NOT that tight. Come on, man. U Mich is a first-tier institution. You'll have a great time and the girls won't be as snobby.

ann arbor is the best place in the world. you will love UM. the people there are just awesome, and the med schools is fantastic.

just learn to deal with the weather and you'll be fine :D

GO BLUE!

USC? as in the University of South Carolina or the University of Spoiled Children **ahem** i mean University of Southern California?:p
Which one was it you want to go to?

USC should only be used for U South Carolina, SC is the official short for South Carolina here in the USA.

I really believe I chose the wrong medical school to attend. I withdrew from the one I truly want to go. I am miserbale about the place I chose. What can I do?
How does that even happen? Better yet, what made you regret your decision? :thumbdown: Go to the school you were accepted in. As 99.999999% of med students will tell you, you'll be stuck studying most of the time. It doesn't matter if your school is in ann arbor or Cairo.

Members don't see this ad :)
i mean its not like you are a football player

miserable? About UMich? really? I'm miserable that UMMS didn't give me the light of day, that's how much I love the school and Ann Arbor :-/

since you're probably another California brat, suck it up. UM is one of the best schools in the country, you're apparently getting some money to go there, and it is about the friendliest med school I've seen, with great people. A lot of people (including me) would do a lot to be in your shoes.

USC should only be used for U South Carolina, SC is the official short for South Carolina here in the USA.

Not to anyone who lives anywhere in the west...

Are you even in Ann Arbor yet? Your classes start in August.

Since you are way less likely to be shot at U Mich, let that make up for the difference...

Reactions: 1 user
I know a lot of people who went to Michigan (from California!) who absolutely LOOOVED it.

Across the board, most med students I've met this year really love their school. People generally come to like the school they end up matriculating at, no matter how they felt about it previously.

Give Michigan a chance, I bet you'll end up having a great time!

I think michigan is an outstanding choice. It may be a bit of buyer's remorse at this point. I withdrew from a school that I wasn't even THAT in love with and I still had my doubts. It happens. Only thing about UofM people is that they are a bit...aloof. As my friend from there says, "they are too 'cool' to act excited about things." It isn't like you are going to be spending tons of time outdoors anyway. I'm in school in Florida right now. I spent most of my weekend in a basement looking at cadavers or in a room staring at a book and gazing longingly outside.

One thing that I think you'll learn is that medical school is pretty universal. Just like the rest of life, there will be people you like, people you are indifferent about and people you despise. Things can be a bit more magnified since it is a little more pressurized of an environment. When all is said and done you'll be a doctor either way.

You'd have regret either way. Grass could always be greener.

UM is a great school. It's hard for me to say this, though, being an Ohioan...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5lazIqerHw&feature=related&pos=5[/YOUTUBE]

UM is a great school. It's hard for me to say this, though, being an Ohioan...

Yea, hard for me being a Penn Stater, but we don't like you guys more. ;)

First off I am not talking about USC and Michigan.

First off I am not talking about USC and Michigan.

I'm really sorry about your situation...try to keep your head up. Could you tell us what you are talking about? If you want to keep it private, that's understandable, but we might be more helpful if we know the situation.