I probably should've been thinking about this a long time ago...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junkct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if these questions have been asked already, but I seriously tried using the Search and couldn't find my answers, so here goes:

I'm a junior at the moment, and haven't really gotten to know too many profs (maybe just 1 or 2... huge class sizes). I probably need 1 or 2 more profs for potential rec letters and i plan on getting to know some this year, but I just wanted to know how long I had to do that..

1) When should I actually start asking my letter writers for rec letters? (Assuming they take as long as letter writers normally do) Would I have to do it this semester? Or would next semester be alright? In other words, when is the latest you can ask for a rec letter if you're planning on sending in your apps as early as possible?
2) Letters go out with the secondaries, right? I've heard that they were gonna try to start making it go out with the primaries, but don't know the status of that endeavor
3) For the profs that I don't know too well, what should I provide them with when I ask them for a letter?
4) Is it necessary to have a letter from an actual doctor (who you've shadowed or something)?
5) If I took multiple courses and got top 5 grades (out of 150-200 students) all times with one prof, even if the prof doesnt really know me (went to office hours a few times, but nothing substantial), would it be good to get a letter from them? Or are grades irrelevant in this situation?

I'm really confused about the whole rec letter process, and honestly probably should've been thinking about it sooner, but if anyone can help me out with these questions or provide me with a link to a good rec letter resource or something, that would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

bumping this one for you. I like the questions :D

Ask for your letters early in the spring, like January/February. You want to try to find 3 writers.
Letters are with secondaries, yes, unless you're doing the Texas application.
Offer them your resume, personal statement, transcript, etc. They may or may not want any of it, but it's good to offer, and they'll usually take you up on it.
It's not necessary to have one from an MD, but it can only help.
Grades don't really mean much, unless that professor is going to say that you're consistently one of the best students they've ever had, your intelligence outshines all other students, etc. They're more looking for personality than a grade report.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get a letter from a professor who doesn't know you that well, if you must. I'm sure many people have had to in the past.

Ask your professors EARLY, and tell them you need the letters EARLY. Letters are delaying my application at the moment, and if I had asked my professors to submit them MUCH earlier they might have been complete by this time.

You can get a letter from a professor who doesn't know you that well, if you must. I'm sure many people have had to in the past.

Ask your professors EARLY, and tell them you need the letters EARLY. Letters are delaying my application at the moment, and if I had asked my professors to submit them MUCH earlier they might have been complete by this time.

Is it really that uncommon to have a letter from a prof that doesn't know you too well? I know tons of premeds at my school, very few of whom have gotten to know more than 1 professor. I mean, I know 1 or 2 profs decently well, and of course my PIs, but it's that last obligatory sci letter that I'm probably going to have to ask someone I don't know too well.

And I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Wouldn't repeatedly asking the profs about the letter help? Especially if you told them that it's the last thing needed for your app to get reviewed? ...or maybe that was a little too naive to ask

Is it really that uncommon to have a letter from a prof that doesn't know you too well? I know tons of premeds at my school, very few of whom have gotten to know more than 1 professor. I mean, I know 1 or 2 profs decently well, and of course my PIs, but it's that last obligatory sci letter that I'm probably going to have to ask someone I don't know too well.

And I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Wouldn't repeatedly asking the profs about the letter help? Especially if you told them that it's the last thing needed for your app to get reviewed? ...or maybe that was a little too naive to ask
no, it's not uncommon.

That's basically what I did. My letters finally got uploaded today, so I'm okay now. The problem wasn't with the last professor delaying so much as it was the fact that bits of paper get pushed around very slowly at my university, which sets up VirtualEval packets for its students, so I basically got results by going straight to the office to chase down the last letter.

And yeah, I had to ask someone I didn't know well, so I'm sure it happens quite a bit. All I know is, if I had to do this again, I'd completely change the way I handled letters :).

3) For the profs that I don't know too well, what should I provide them with when I ask them for a letter?

My letter writer who I barely knew wanted: a (unofficial) copy of my transcripts, a short career statement and an activities list.

He also asked me a few basic things like "why do you want to be a doctor", ect.

Sorry if these questions have been asked already, but I seriously tried using the Search and couldn't find my answers, so here goes:

I'm a junior at the moment, and haven't really gotten to know too many profs (maybe just 1 or 2... huge class sizes). I probably need 1 or 2 more profs for potential rec letters and i plan on getting to know some this year, but I just wanted to know how long I had to do that..

1) When should I actually start asking my letter writers for rec letters? (Assuming they take as long as letter writers normally do) Would I have to do it this semester? Or would next semester be alright? In other words, when is the latest you can ask for a rec letter if you're planning on sending in your apps as early as possible?
2) Letters go out with the secondaries, right? I've heard that they were gonna try to start making it go out with the primaries, but don't know the status of that endeavor
4) Is it necessary to have a letter from an actual doctor (who you've shadowed or something)?
5) If I took multiple courses and got top 5 grades (out of 150-200 students) all times with one prof, even if the prof doesnt really know me (went to office hours a few times, but nothing substantial), would it be good to get a letter from them? Or are grades irrelevant in this situation?

I'm really confused about the whole rec letter process, and honestly probably should've been thinking about it sooner, but if anyone can help me out with these questions or provide me with a link to a good rec letter resource or something, that would be greatly appreciated!!

These are good questions, but i sense you've succumbed to the paranoia and gunnerism that plagues these boards.

1) Wait 'till next semester, like April. Just make sure you have at least two science and one non-science that'll be around then. It's always nice to have an extra prof lined up from each of those catergories just in case.

2) Letters go out with the secondaries. A few schools are wanting you to send them through AMCAS, but you won't need to get them any earlier; just send them to AMCAS when you get them.

3) Just ask for the letter. It wouldn't be uncommon for them to ask for a copy of your personal statement or transcripts. Any more than that and they're busting your balls.

4) Not in the slightest.

5) Definately get those. They'll likely rank you in the letter amongst all of the students they've had. If they say that you're top 5% (or something), that's helpful for the adcoms.

These are good questions, but i sense you've succumbed to the paranoia and gunnerism that plagues these boards.

I think you hit it right on the noggin. But I'm not ashamed. The people on these boards seem to fare quite nicely in the admissions process