I realize this may not be the place for personal advice, but I need some, so...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxwell0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is the best place I know to ask. Could someone with a knowledge of MDs/DOs/PAs working in Iraq/Afghanistan please PM me? I would post on the public forum, but I am afraid too much information might blow my cover, if the wrong person were to be reading this, and I would be humiliated.

I can give you the coordinates of all the US medical facilities in theatre, but you have to promise to keep it a secret. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get it.
He's teasing you. Your desire for secrecy about in theater medical operations may prompt some to question why you would need secrecy. The joke being that you were asking for sensitive information, like coordinates.

What do you want to know? Are you in the military or healthcare field? Have you been deployed and have specific questions about how things are run (or supposed to be run)?

If you want information, you'll have to narrow your questions considerably, because, basically, DOs/MDs/PAs/NPs/CRNAs/etc do in theater, what they do at home.

He's teasing you. Your desire for secrecy about in theater medical operations may prompt some to question why you would need secrecy. The joke being that you were asking for sensitive information, like coordinates.

What do you want to know? Are you in the military or healthcare field? Have you been deployed and have specific questions about how things are run (or supposed to be run)?

If you want information, you'll have to narrow your questions considerably, because, basically, DOs/MDs/PAs/NPs/CRNAs/etc do in theater, what they do at home.

I have nothing to do with the military, although I am applying to medical school. My issue is a personal one having to do with a broken heart I received from a PA who was deployed. Basically, I was nice enough to send him some emails while he was deployed, that went ignored. He never spoke to me again, and I haven't gotten over him, and I have never figured out what I did wrong. I was just curious if PAs come back screwed up in the head (he wasn't the most resilient person to begin with), and if they ever get better. Sorry I want to be secretive. I don't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing it still bothers me. I probably should have known better than to ask hardened military people about such matters. I just didn't know who else to ask. Sorry, and thank you for your service to our country.

Just maybe he didn't have time to answer your emails because he was kinda...like...at war and stuff.

I have nothing to do with the military, although I am applying to medical school. My issue is a personal one having to do with a broken heart I received from a PA who was deployed. Basically, I was nice enough to send him some emails while he was deployed, that went ignored. He never spoke to me again, and I haven't gotten over him, and I have never figured out what I did wrong. I was just curious if PAs come back screwed up in the head (he wasn't the most resilient person to begin with), and if they ever get better. Sorry I want to be secretive. I don't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing it still bothers me. I probably should have known better than to ask hardened military people about such matters. I just didn't know who else to ask. Sorry, and thank you for your service to our country.

Ok. Well, I haven't deployed myself. My little brother kicked down some doors and was mortared a few times. My brother in law saw some people get killed. Dad saw some things that bothered him in the first Gulf War. They are all mostly ok, with a few quirks.

As for medical folks, I imagine it depends on where you are located. You may see mostly sick call, occassional trauma, or you may see lots of trauma. I don't know the scope of practice for military PA's.

If I could give you some advice, from my own opinion and perspective (grain of salt), he may just be a douche. A very smooth talking douche. Or he may not have seen the relationship in the same way you did and used his deployment as the ultimate "bail."

So sorry. Hang tough.

It sounds as though he must have hit it right.