I really don't want to get an MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stgermaine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

My parents somehow blackmailed me into doing premed, so by the end of this semester, I'll have taken a semester of bio (out of 4 courses required) and a semester of chemistry.

I have no motivation at all to keep doing this. The classes are extremely boring, I'm not good at chemistry or biology (my major is psychology, which is interesting. I've always been good at math, so I may do a double major if I choose to give up premed). However, I'm at the end of my sophomore year, and I'd have to stay for five years to do my double major. The simpler solution would be to do orgo next year along with some bio classes, take calculus and physics my senior year, study for MCAT and do some research internships during my gap year, and go to med school.

I really have no motivation to do that. Both of my parents are doctors, so I've assumed that I'd become a doctor when the time comes. during high school, i took AP Chem and had some doubts that i want to be a doctor. The next year I took AP Bio, and that made me sure that I did not want to be a doctor.

I find math to be really fascinating, its various properties of numbers, how it applies to many facets of our lives. Even if I am not good enough to go into research, i can find employment across a variety of industries.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi.

My parents somehow blackmailed me into doing premed, so by the end of this semester, I'll have taken a semester of bio (out of 4 courses required) and a semester of chemistry.

I have no motivation at all to keep doing this. The classes are extremely boring, I'm not good at chemistry or biology (my major is psychology, which is interesting. I've always been good at math, so I may do a double major if I choose to give up premed). However, I'm at the end of my sophomore year, and I'd have to stay for five years to do my double major. The simpler solution would be to do orgo next year along with some bio classes, take calculus and physics my senior year, study for MCAT and do some research internships during my gap year, and go to med school.

I really have no motivation to do that. Both of my parents are doctors, so I've assumed that I'd become a doctor when the time comes. during high school, i took AP Chem and had some doubts that i want to be a doctor. The next year I took AP Bio, and that made me sure that I did not want to be a doctor.

I find math to be really fascinating, its various properties of numbers, how it applies to many facets of our lives. Even if I am not good enough to go into research, i can find employment across a variety of industries.

What should I do?

If you are forced to become a doctor and you hate it, you will regret the decision for the rest of your life

Members don't see this ad :)
This is your entire life you are talking about.

Take the time to suck it up and break it to your parents that you don't want to go to medical school. The disappointment they will show now is much less painful than a lifetime of a career you are not passionate about.

Just my suggestion... Good luck!
:)

Best,
C

The simpler solution would be to do orgo next year along with some bio classes, take calculus and physics my senior year, study for MCAT and do some research internships during my gap year, and go to med school.

The simpler solution, in the long run, is definitely not to go to med school if you don't want to. I'm not sure how they are blackmailing you, nor do I expect you to reveal that over the internet, but it's your life, not theirs. Life is too short to not do something that you want to do IMO.

Good luck in whatever you decide :luck:

Do yourself and every person whose lifelong dream is to be a doctor a favor: Get out now. Find your passion. If you can't find it, find a tolerable job until you do.

Just try to keep your grades up in the mean time anyway because you want a high GPA for other things like grad school applications. Already some suggestions above as to how to address it, but you can bee any major you want, so switch to a math major if you want to do that.

Take the MCAT right now and bomb it. They can't force you to do it after they see that score.

Plenty of people who have a well-researched and entirely self-driven desire to become a doctor STILL wind up regretting the decision. In your case, regret seems almost certain.

I'm assuming that the way your parents are controlling your decisions is through the threat of withholding financial support. This is a serious threat (having wealthy but non-involved parents means you'll basically have to finance yourself entirely by loans) but trust me, its better to suck it up and take the loans.

For your own good, act like the Grown-Ass man or woman you are and make your own decisions.

You need to have a serious discussion with your parents. Entrance into this profession will take 12 years of your life (4 yrs undergrad, 4 yrs MD, 4 yrs residency) depending on what you wish to specialize in. And then you'd spend the rest of your life practicing something you are not passionate about, treating people you may not care about (I'm trying to be direct here, so don't take this as an assault on your character).

The application process itself necessitates that you explain your desire to study medicine, and show what you've done to prepare. Not only are you going to have a difficult time writing your personal statements/secondaries (unless you are insincere), but you'll also have to dedicate a lot of your time outside of class to gaining clinical exposure or experiences that give you an insight into the medical profession.

You may have to convince others (at an interview) that you are passionate and that you are not coerced in any way by having physician parents (i.e. how has your background/family influenced you/ shaped your desire to study medicine).

If you feel that you are blackmailed because your parents help pay for your undergraduate schooling then you may want to look into other sources - loans, scholarships etc.

To be blunt, they do not own you - they may suggest what they believe is best for you but they should not try to force you to become what you have no interest in being. You may be able to come to a compromise by showing that you put some effort into exploring the profession and you found that it is not for you (and that you've also explored what you do want to do and had great success etc).

However, this comes down to the relationship between you and your parents. Find a way to talk to them about this (with a sibling as a mediator, perhaps) because your life's direction is not a trivial matter.

Last edited:
You need to have a serious discussion with your parents. Entrance into this profession will take 12 years of your life (4 yrs undergrad, 4 yrs MD, 4 yrs residency) depending on what you wish to specialize in. And then you'd spend the rest of your life practicing something you are not passionate about, treating people you may care about (I'm trying to be direct here, so don't take this as an assault on your character).

The application process itself necessitates that you explain your desire to study medicine, and show what you've done to prepare. Not only are you going to have a difficult time writing your personal statements/secondaries (unless you are insincere), but you'll also have to dedicate a lot of your time outside of class to gaining clinical exposure or experiences that give you an insight into the medical profession.

You may have to convince others (at an interview) that you are passionate and that you are not coerced in any way by having physician parents (i.e. how has your background/family influenced you/ shaped your desire to study medicine).

If you feel that you are blackmailed because your parents help pay for your undergraduate schooling then you may want to look into other sources - loans, scholarships etc.

To be blunt, they do not own you - they may suggest what they believe is best for you but they should not try to force you to become what you have no interest in being. You may be able to come to a compromise by showing that you put some effort into exploring the profession and you found that it is not for you (and that you've also explored what you do want to do and had great success etc).

However, this comes down to the relationship between you and your parents. Find a way to talk to them about this (with a sibling as a mediator, perhaps) because your life's direction is not a trivial matter.

Exactly this OP.

Personally, I'll never understand people like you. Does medicine have too much job security? You would prefer to spend your days toiling in the lab with stuff that will likely never work no matter how hard you try? I know they say medicine isn't for everyone, but it is the ideal career imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I'll never understand people like you. Does medicine have too much job security? You would prefer to spend your days toiling in the lab with stuff that will likely never work no matter how hard you try? I know they say medicine isn't for everyone, but it is the ideal career imo.
So you will never understand anyone who doesn't think exactly like you do, doesn't have exactly the same motivation, interests and desires as you? :rolleyes: I am betting the OP will be ok with that...:laugh:

Thou art a better troll than I. Beware the ides of March, Caesar.

You can't be serious OP!

Please don't do something that you don't want to do. Let me put this into perspective for you... I effin LOVE medicine, really I do. The science, the people... it's great. After a hard shift in the ED, I sometimes question myself and say "why the hell are you doing this to yourself?" Then I realize I wouldn't rather be doing anything else.

If medicine is that only something you could picture yourself doing... then by all means, GO FOR IT!

If not, then you're going to be miserable.

There are plenty of people who dream of one day getting an md. If you take a spot it means that somebody else won't get that spot. Just keep that in mind.

Consider what other careers might be out there for someone who has the skills and talents you have. There are some interesting careers in biostatistics (using statistics to answer research questions) and bioinformatics (computer analysis of biological data including data about health and medical care).

There are also some interesting advances being made in clinical psychology and behavioral medicine including using technology to deliver services (hand-held devices like Smart Phones, Internet inteface, etc).

Explore a few other alternatives and go to your parents with a plan to prepare for a graduate program in math or psychology or clinical psychology. It isn't going to be "easier" but it is going to be different and it might be a better fit for you. Put the emphasis on what is a good fit for you and how you can't put your heart into something that isn't a good fit but this other thing makes your heart sing and you are going to go for it.

So you will never understand anyone who doesn't think exactly like you do, doesn't have exactly the same motivation, interests and desires as you? :rolleyes: I am betting the OP will be ok with that...:laugh:

So a higher interest for psychology over premed classes justifies taking a job with less pay and much much less job security? Especially since OP can work with psychology related issues with an MD.

I bet you also encourage people to go to law school if they're "interested". Nevermind that you're making a terrible investment and will likely be unemployed, it's all good because you don't have to take college level chemistry....

So a higher interest for psychology over premed classes justifies taking a job with less pay and much much less job security? Especially since OP can work with psychology related issues with an MD.

I bet you also encourage people to go to law school if they're "interested". Nevermind that you're making a terrible investment and will likely be unemployed, it's all good because you don't have to take college level chemistry....

Medicine is no guarantee of financial riches and job security. See today's Wall St Journal; doc is paying himself a salary but states in a matter-of-fact way that his practice could be bankrupt next month:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...od=WSJ_hp_mostpop_emailed#articleTabs=article

Plus, the work is hard and unrelenting. If you dont' like it, the pain of the work is magnified and the joys aren't there.

I am not a physician and I'm happy despite a job with "less pay". The OP might be happy in such a job, too.

Medicine is no guarantee of financial riches and job security. See today's Wall St Journal; doc is paying himself a salary but states in a matter-of-fact way that his practice could be bankrupt next month:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...od=WSJ_hp_mostpop_emailed#articleTabs=article

Plus, the work is hard and unrelenting. If you dont' like it, the pain of the work is magnified and the joys aren't there.

I am not a physician and I'm happy despite a job with "less pay". The OP might be happy in such a job, too.

Seems to me physicians job security is so much greater than any other choice out there atm. Work isn't always fun, and you do what you have to do to make it in this world. OP needs to atleast investigate viable alternative before considering dropping. We don't need another college kid in a useless major with no plan who then complains that he can't find a job after college.

Seems to me physicians job security is so much greater than any other choice out there atm. Work isn't always fun, and you do what you have to do to make it in this world. OP needs to atleast investigate viable alternative before considering dropping. We don't need another college kid in a useless major with no plan who then complains that he can't find a job after college.

Part of me wants to see this going to see what you'll say but in my heart I know that people will eventually stop listening to you and will go away.

LOL, so the only people with jobs right now are doctors? Didn't know that.... I advocate people doing what they are actually interested in doing and would enjoy making a career of. You don't?

My advice in all seriousness is to use college to explore what you are passionate about. I went in thinking I'd become an engineer without trying anything else. Fast forward 12 years. .. I'm an engineer with a job that sounds cool, but isn't what I want to be doing until I retire. Have at it.

LOL, so the only people with jobs right now are doctors? Didn't know that.... I advocate people doing what they are actually interested in doing and would enjoy making a career of. You don't?

I advocate people choosing a career where they can find a job after their education. Doctor is a good job for that, which is why I don't why more people don't want to be doctors. Being interested in something is great. However, if you're not going to have a job or be financially secure then why do it? That's why I'll never understand people who major in philosophy, communications, etc.

I have never seen an unemployed biostatistician.

Well I've never seen an employed one.

edit: I'll concede OP should think about alternatives to medicine but he should make sure he has a plan and is entering something viable for a stable career, not just blindly following "passion".

Medicine is too hard if you do not have a passion for it. I am a first year resident in a surgical field. Last week I worked 7 days in a row - about 14 hours each day - about 100 hours. I could not do this if I did not like medicine. Nor could you.

Do yourself a huge favor and don't let your parents lead you into a profession for which you are not suited.

It's gonna be either him or someone else. If there were open spots at medical schools, I agree, but all medical schools fill to capacity with matriculants every single year.

I don't recall saying anything about biostatisticians other then I dont know anything about them...

No, you said that you haven't seen any employed biostatisticians, which implies that you know of some and that none of them are employed, which is absolutely not the same as knowing nothing about them.

It's gonna be either him or someone else. If there were open spots at medical schools, I agree, but all medical schools fill to capacity with matriculants every single year.

I more meant that he needs a viable plan/alternative for his own sake and future financial stability. If he finds "passion" in psychology, but then can't find a job then he's made a very bad time and money investment. Now if he had a full thought plan on what to do with a psychology degree and put that into action it would end up being a good investment.

No, you said that you haven't seen any employed biostatisticians, which implies that you know of some and that none of them are employed, which is absolutely not the same as knowing nothing about them.

I dont see how what I said implies that I know of some biostaticians? I've never met one, so I've never seen one who was employed or unemployed.

I dont see how what I said implies that I know of some biostaticians? I've never met one, so I've never seen one who was employed or unemployed.

Then why specify employed versus unemployed? Why even make the distinction at all? You were being disingenuous and in doing so proved LizzyM's point - you don't know anything about them, so your comment is essentially worthless.

Most people in the world have a job completely unrelated to their college major. I majored in political science, for chrissakes, and here I am going to medical school in the fall. OP majoring in psych and interested in psych doesn't mean s/he needs to only look for jobs in psych-related fields. People around here are so set on having a defined path in life, but the rest of working society usually find their career by accident.

are-you-****ing-kidding-me-clean-low.jpg

Quoting fail.

And to Tkim the comment was me poking fun at her word choice (which was admittedly rude but I'm bored). That's why the employed/unemployed was specified. As I said I know nothing of biostaticians and their job out look and never claimed to.

Quoting fail.

And to Tkim the comment was me poking fun at her word choice (which was admittedly rude but I'm bored). That's why the employed/unemployed was specified. As I said I know nothing of biostaticians and their job out look and never claimed to.

Saying things for the sake of being inflammatory is just stupid.

Hi.

What should I do?

Why don't you do something with math like accounting? Not a big deal if you don't want to be a doctor. You should be your own person. I mean, your not a disappointment, you are in college. It is not like you are some drug addict.

Saying things for the sake of being inflammatory is just stupid.

So is being unable to post pics correctly. But people do that all the time too.

This has gotten out of hand. A apologize for hijacking this thread and for any inflammatory remarks made. I suggest to OP that he takes into consideration future job options and financial security for whatever major he chooses. These aren't things you should leave to chance. And with that I will stop posting and hopefully avoid being banned :xf:

So is being unable to post pics correctly. But people do that all the time too.

This has gotten out of hand. A apologize for hijacking this thread and for any inflammatory remarks made. I suggest to OP that he takes into consideration future job options and financial security for whatever major he chooses. These aren't things you should leave to chance. And with that I will stop posting and hopefully avoid being banned :xf:

Have a good day.