I really NEED advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdrdr24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So, I am a freshman biology major and one of the things that I wanted to do was to ask for advice/ feedback about how I am doing as a pre-medical student in my freshman year. (and anything else that I could do to make myself a competitive applicant).

I currently have a 3.94 GPA and my extracurriculars include:
1) Research (but the professor is leaving this semester),
2) Executive Board Member of two organizations (Vice-President of a service club-focuses on eduction- and Treasurer of a pre-medical society),
3) Member of a service organization (focuses on education as well but more involved in service); and
4) I will have a research (next semester) that focuses on micro-genomics

Also, I just wanted to ask for advice about this offer that I got for a Biology TA position next semester but I'm sure that I can't handle the work without greatly sacrificing my GPA (since every upperclassmen has said that the subjects next semester are the worst and that most people leave science afterwards). :(

What do you think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

GPA >>>> Biology TAship. Don't take on more than you can handle.

Reactions: 1 user
How about some clinical experiences, shadowing(not the same as clinical experiences), how about service to the unserved or underserved(nonclinical experience)! Your on campus activities are okay but you need to start stepping outside of your comfort zone. Medicine is a service profession and ADCOMS will want to see evidence of service. You have time but start looking for opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about some clinical experiences, shadowing(not the same as clinical experiences), how about service to the unserved or underserved(nonclinical experience)! Your on campus activities are okay but you need to start stepping outside of your comfort zone. Medicine is a service profession and ADCOMS will want to see evidence of service. You have time but start looking for opportunities.

Definitely! This summer, I am planning to shadow doctors in the Emergency Room (for a week) in a private hospital then transfer to shadowing doctors in the ER in a public hospital (for a week as well). I'm actually doing this internationally (south east asia) because that is where I am from and the main reason why I am interested in medicine in the first place!

For service, I'm volunteering in schools near my community and different homeless shelters as well.

Thank you for your advice and I will definitely look into searching for more opportunities in service!

GPA >>>> Biology TAship. Don't take on more than you can handle.

Yeah! I did that, but im thinking of just doing it in junior year when the load isn't as hard as my sophomore year! Thank you!

You will need shadowing in the US. International stuff is largely discounted in US admissions because that is where you’re going to med school. Not that it can’t be good experience!