I really need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overacheiver

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my story.
I am an international students in the United States studying Biology- Molecular Biology as a concentration. I am a pre-med but things haven't really been working out for me. First of all, last semester, I had to transfer out of my previous school because the economy in my country took a downturn and we couldn't afford the high tuition I was originally paying. As a result of grade transfer, my GPA went from a 3.68 to a 3.53. This wasn't so bad but last semester was my worst semester ever, maybe because I started working crazy hous to pay my bills as the situation in the country didn't really get better, or I wasn't studying enough, but I did really bad in my classes. I had a C in organic Chemistry 1, a C in Genetics a B in Microbiology. This further dropped my GPA to a 3.42(terrible, I know). However, I decided not to retake Organic 1 because I didn't want to waste more time and I wanted to graduate early. So I took Ochem 2 this semester and I had a C again. I did better in my other classes but I still have a GPA of 3.42. I am on track to graduate with a Bachelors in Biology in May 2018 or at most December 2018.
Now, I don't have any research experience yet, I'm trying to get something started next fall semester, I have some leadership experience. I have less than a hundred service hours which I intend to fill up this summer. I'm really lost right now and I'm just wondering if Med school is still achievable for me. I understand that there better applicants with better grades but what if I do exceptionally well on the MCAT(this is possible, I'm really brilliant, I just suck at Time Management) and get enough service hours? Will that help me? This is all in addition to doing well and trying to raise my GPA (even if i have to starve), although I'm not sure how much further I can raise it before graduation.
So, what do y'all think my chances are?
should I just pick another path? I've been really thinking about PA school these days.
Also, should I retake the organic chemistry classes? I hear about how much med schools look at organic chemistry when viewing an applicant.
Any advice is really appreciated no matter how frank.

Members don't see this ad.

Chances zero with your academic history for MD schools. DO is still a possibility. Your English skills need to be improved for MCAT.

Hello all,
This is my story.
I am an international students in the United States studying Biology- Molecular Biology as a concentration. I am a pre-med but things haven't really been working out for me. First of all, last semester, I had to transfer out of my previous school because the economy in my country took a downturn and we couldn't afford the high tuition I was originally paying. As a result of grade transfer, my GPA went from a 3.68 to a 3.53. This wasn't so bad but last semester was my worst semester ever, maybe because I started working crazy hous to pay my bills as the situation in the country didn't really get better, or I wasn't studying enough, but I did really bad in my classes. I had a C in organic Chemistry 1, a C in Genetics a B in Microbiology. This further dropped my GPA to a 3.42(terrible, I know). However, I decided not to retake Organic 1 because I didn't want to waste more time and I wanted to graduate early. So I took Ochem 2 this semester and I had a C again. I did better in my other classes but I still have a GPA of 3.42. I am on track to graduate with a Bachelors in Biology in May 2018 or at most December 2018.
Now, I don't have any research experience yet, I'm trying to get something started next fall semester, I have some leadership experience. I have less than a hundred service hours which I intend to fill up this summer. I'm really lost right now and I'm just wondering if Med school is still achievable for me. I understand that there better applicants with better grades but what if I do exceptionally well on the MCAT(this is possible, I'm really brilliant, I just suck at Time Management) and get enough service hours? Will that help me? This is all in addition to doing well and trying to raise my GPA (even if i have to starve), although I'm not sure how much further I can raise it before graduation.
So, what do y'all think my chances are?
should I just pick another path? I've been really thinking about PA school these days.
Also, should I retake the organic chemistry classes? I hear about how much med schools look at organic chemistry when viewing an applicant.
Any advice is really appreciated no matter how frank.

Reactions: 1 user