I really need some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J_alex12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So first off to give you guys some background information I just recently graduated with a B.S. in Biology (minors in Chemistry and Psychology) with a 3.46 overall GPA and a 3.3 sGPA. I have over 320 hours of shadowing experience which included two private practices as well as the local Union Gospel Mission Dental Clinic. I also have over 120 hours of community service which I acquired through the UGM, volunteering at a local high school as a tutor/mentor, serving in a Holy Family Medical tent, and going overseas to the Dominican Republic to assist doctors in a village. I have also gone overseas to the Dominican Republic on a separate occasion to assist three different dentists help meet the dental needs of the Dominican people. I took the DAT back in January after studying straight for 6 months using Chad's videos, GC destroyer, DAT destroyer, DAT bootcamp, crackDAT, math destroyer, and got the following scores: PAT: 21 QR: 16 RC: 18 BI: 16 GC: 17 OC: 24 TS: 18 AA: 18
I talked my situation over with my university advisor as well as multiple other current dental students, and they all encouraged me to study up on the weaker sections and retake the DAT in early spring. So I recently took the DAT over again and am at a complete loss for words. My scores were:
PAT: 20 QR: 13 RC: 21 BI: 18 GC: 16 OC: 19 TS: 18 AA: 17
For the QR section I had read about how they were incorporating some "quantitative analysis" questions into the section but that I should not be worried and study as normal due to that the ADA was most likely just using the data from the new questions to possibly incorporate them into future DAT exams. Basically meaning that as of right now, the quantitative analysis questions were not going to negatively effect the QR score. Well, on my exam they made up over 50% of the questions and I felt completely lost as to how to approach the problems. It was a complete disaster. My primary question is that I am wondering how exactly multiple DAT scores are reviewed in the application process by dental schools? Does each dental school look at multiple sets of scores differently? I have tried to find these answers online and have had no luck. I am just trying to figure out if I have completely destroyed all my chances or if I should continue to pursue dental school? Any help regarding any of these questions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So first off to give you guys some background information I just recently graduated with a B.S. in Biology (minors in Chemistry and Psychology) with a 3.46 overall GPA and a 3.3 sGPA. I have over 320 hours of shadowing experience which included two private practices as well as the local Union Gospel Mission Dental Clinic. I also have over 120 hours of community service which I acquired through the UGM, volunteering at a local high school as a tutor/mentor, serving in a Holy Family Medical tent, and going overseas to the Dominican Republic to assist doctors in a village. I have also gone overseas to the Dominican Republic on a separate occasion to assist three different dentists help meet the dental needs of the Dominican people. I took the DAT back in January after studying straight for 6 months using Chad's videos, GC destroyer, DAT destroyer, DAT bootcamp, crackDAT, math destroyer, and got the following scores: PAT: 21 QR: 16 RC: 18 BI: 16 GC: 17 OC: 24 TS: 18 AA: 18
I talked my situation over with my university advisor as well as multiple other current dental students, and they all encouraged me to study up on the weaker sections and retake the DAT in early spring. So I recently took the DAT over again and am at a complete loss for words. My scores were:
PAT: 20 QR: 13 RC: 21 BI: 18 GC: 16 OC: 19 TS: 18 AA: 17
For the QR section I had read about how they were incorporating some "quantitative analysis" questions into the section but that I should not be worried and study as normal due to that the ADA was most likely just using the data from the new questions to possibly incorporate them into future DAT exams. Basically meaning that as of right now, the quantitative analysis questions were not going to negatively effect the QR score. Well, on my exam they made up over 50% of the questions and I felt completely lost as to how to approach the problems. It was a complete disaster. My primary question is that I am wondering how exactly multiple DAT scores are reviewed in the application process by dental schools? Does each dental school look at multiple sets of scores differently? I have tried to find these answers online and have had no luck. I am just trying to figure out if I have completely destroyed all my chances or if I should continue to pursue dental school? Any help regarding any of these questions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Sorry about your test. I had the same issue. I retook the DAT as well after the changes and scored the same AA and did worse on the QR. I am scheduling a 3rd retake this Aug/Sep and order DAT MATH Destroyer in hopes of doing better since this is what is bringing my AA down. I know Texas schools look at the most recent score. I know some schools have cut off scores in some areas and AA. What schools are you looking at? Don't give up, apply and then if you get no bites keep improving your app, retake the DAT and keep applying. I know that dental school looks at reapplicants more favorably if you are showing improvement and persistence.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Did you not take any practice tests? Usually the 2007 and 2009 practice tests are similiar to what you'll receive. Additionally, did you time yourself while you were taking them/make sure not to use any materials and stimulate the testing environment?

Reactions: 1 user
First, kinda sucks the Ada does not bother to share some examples about the new dat, and some people had to be shocked to see it. Shame on them, but at the same time, couldn't you really google it and see how the questions look like, there are tons of free quantitative questions online.

Secondly, I think you need to retake again and this time you should study harder and give equal attention to all topics ( forget about the people who says math does not matter)

There is no if, why, how! 13 in Qr is not gonna help you, they would have neglected that if you had super high total science, but sadly that was not the case.

schedule another appointment, take the test in September

You will do better this time.

Things you need.
GRE books for math!
Buy other, general chem preparation like gold standards, they have a lot of practice
for ochem, math and general chem, the review gives you 50% score and practice give you the 80%
practicing, again and again, gives you the 100 %

Also, this work you did in the Dominican Republic

Most Dental students don't like students to go overseas and volunteer in dental work, as they consider many of the things that are done overseas not ethical. So, you might as well omit it.

But before you start studying again, take a week break go travel to a nice place and forget about what happened.

THis could happen to all of us, we are all humans and this test is not the real judgment of you as a qualified dental candidate

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about your test. I had the same issue. I retook the DAT as well after the changes and scored the same AA and did worse on the QR. I am scheduling a 3rd retake this Aug/Sep and order DAT MATH Destroyer in hopes of doing better since this is what is bringing my AA down. I know Texas schools look at the most recent score. I know some schools have cut off scores in some areas and AA. What schools are you looking at? Don't give up, apply and then if you get no bites keep improving your app, retake the DAT and keep applying. I know that dental school looks at reapplicants more favorably if you are showing improvement and persistence.
I'm specifically looking at getting into UW since I am a WA resident and that gives me a major advantage there. I'll also be applying to OHSU as well as Midwestern Arizona.

I'm confused. Did you not take any practice tests? Usually the 2007 and 2009 practice tests are similiar to what you'll receive. Additionally, did you time yourself while you were taking them/make sure not to use any materials and stimulate the testing environment?
I took multiple practice exams. I used the BC tests to simulate the real thing and those ones are timed. Timing was not an issue for me.

First, kinda sucks the Ada does not bother to share some examples about the new dat, and some people had to be shocked to see it. Shame on them, but at the same time, couldn't you really google it and see how the questions look like, there are tons of free quantitative questions online.

Secondly, I think you need to retake again and this time you should study harder and give equal attention to all topics ( forget about the people who says math does not matter)

There is no if, why, how! 13 in Qr is not gonna help you, they would have neglected that if you had super high total science, but sadly that was not the case.

schedule another appointment, take the test in September

You will do better this time.

Things you need.
GRE books for math!
Buy other, general chem preparation like gold standards, they have a lot of practice
for ochem, math and general chem, the review gives you 50% score and practice give you the 80%
practicing, again and again, gives you the 100 %

Also, this work you did in the Dominican Republic

Most Dental students don't like students to go overseas and volunteer in dental work, as they consider many of the things that are done overseas not ethical. So, you might as well omit it.

But before you start studying again, take a week break go travel to a nice place and forget about what happened.

THis could happen to all of us, we are all humans and this test is not the real judgment of you as a qualified dental candidate
Thanks for the advice!