I really need your advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finallydoc2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Well, let me get right to it... I want to go into Plastics.
I am a 3rd year medical student at Ross University. I scored a 245/99 on step 1 and have a 4.0 GPA.
Undergrad was about 9 years ago for me and was teribble (2.5gpa)... just flat out didn't take it seriously (i guess graduating high school at age 15 was not a great idea...lol) Readers digest version... I grew up, got serious and am now #1 or 2 in my class (albiet caribbean). My undergrad record leads me to believe that transferring to a US school is out of the question. I don't mind taking a year off to research after my fourth year. I do NOT "know" anyone in the field.

1. What else can I or should I do to help me get into plastics?
2. How difficult is it to get a fellowship after a 5yr gen surg?

ANY tips are greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to plan on doing a full surgery residency at the best program you can match in. Even then, that's no guarentee you'd match into Plastic Surgery in a traditional program. The match rates is less then 30% now I think and continues to drop annually as more people apply.

I wouldn't waste your time doing "audition" rotations in Plastic Surgery, but focus on Surgery ones instead. Even that is no guarantee anymore with the surge in American applicants who will be preferred

A couple of people have been successful going into a well-established plastics lab and working for a couple of years. Places to look into for that would be Michigan (Cederna or Kuzon), NYU (can't think of any, but there are several), Stanford (Longaker), UT Southwestern, Pitt (Andy Lee) . . .

Otherwise, you're best off to do a full GenSurg residency at the best place possible. It might then be beneficial to take research time during training to do something in plastics lab. I don't know as much about the Independent match (thank God), but I would think that spending some time in a real lab would help you stand out.

Good luck,

Max

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your reply! Just a couple of questions on your comments:

1. What is the best way to approach any of these physicians about working in their lab? Will they even care that i scored in the 99th percentile being that I am an fmg? Should I just come right out and be honest.... ie "i want to work hard, gain experience, get published, get into plastics"....is that the way to go?
2. I am from Michigan but currently live in Manhattan. I was thinking of just walking into NYU hospital and knocking on every plastics lab door until someone says yes. It worked for me years ago.... is that the way to go?

3. I obviously will do this as a full time job... but in the meantime while I am in my cores are there labs that i can get into after 5pm or on the weekends?

Thank you again... it is not very common that an fmg tries to get into plastics so information is VERY limited. so again, thank you!

Thank you both for your reply! Just a couple of questions on your comments:

1. What is the best way to approach any of these physicians about working in their lab? Will they even care that i scored in the 99th percentile being that I am an fmg? Should I just come right out and be honest.... ie "i want to work hard, gain experience, get published, get into plastics"....is that the way to go?
2. I am from Michigan but currently live in Manhattan. I was thinking of just walking into NYU hospital and knocking on every plastics lab door until someone says yes. It worked for me years ago.... is that the way to go?

3. I obviously will do this as a full time job... but in the meantime while I am in my cores are there labs that i can get into after 5pm or on the weekends?

Thank you again... it is not very common that an fmg tries to get into plastics so information is VERY limited. so again, thank you!

Have you tried www.plastics2002.com or www.plasticseducation.com
these forums are specifically directed towards plastic surgery applicants both for the independent and integrated/combined model. You'll probably get more help there.

Berk