Plastic surgery and stereopsis - can I pursue this path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dementedpigeon

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I am interested in plastic surgery, in part because of a birth defect I have. But ironically this birth defect has given me a lazy eye. I had it patched when it was younger but still worried about my depth perception, and I have trouble using both eyes when using a microscope. I think I have about 200 seconds of arc?

So my questions:
1) is it still feasible for me to do plastics? It does seem very microsurgery heavy.

2) Is there any way for me to improve my depth perception? Visual exercises?

3) if not plastics, then what other specialities are plastics-adjacent and don’t require good stereopsis? I know dermatology also involves some micro