Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I Really Want To Be A D.O....How Do I Tell Them?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Dr JPH, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    As a Pre-Med who has read and learned a great deal about Osteopathic Medicine, I can comfortably and confidently say that I want to become an Osteopathic Physician.

I have shadowed D.O.'s, read up on the history of the techniques, and plan on using OMT someday in the future.

Now, how do I prove that to the Admissions Committee when it comes time for me to apply?

Will they see the shadowing I have done?
    Will they realize the letters of recommendation are from D.O.'s?
    When will they ask me "Why D.O.?"?
    I know I can answer that question honestly.

Also.....do these schools get excited about an applicant who not only wants to become a great physician, but wants to become a great OSTEOPATHIC physician?

Does that weigh into the decision when they are filling the first year class?

Would they accept an applicant who has slightly lower grades over another, more "qualified" individual, if they indeed showed a true desire to learn the Osteopathic methods and theories?

Just a question I had. Something to think about.

Thanking you in advance....

Josh "The 3rd Year Pre-Med" Hazelton

------------------
    Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
    "D.O. Wannabe"

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited 10-18-2000).]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    You'll have plenty of opportunity to tell the osteopathic AdComs why you want to be a DO, and that first chance will present itself in the form of your AACOMAS personal statement. Don't squander this opportunity to tell them why you want to be an osteopathic physician! You'll probably also be grilled on why you want a DO and not an MD at the interview.

As for that whole thing you mentioned about grades/MCATs and the like, osteopathic schools are supposed to "look past the numbers," but I still think the whole med school admissions process is very much a numbers game and great numbers will carry you farther.

Tim of New York City.

4. RollTide

RollTide Senior Member

Good post Tim, but I must respectfully disagree with one thing you said. Although the numbers are the BEST(i.e. safest) way to place yourself in medical school, there are certain osteopathic schools who will take a student with lower grades(but still adequate to handle the workload)and a genuine interest in osteopathic principles over a student with slightly higher grades and less interest. In my opinion they do this in the best interest of the school and the student.

5. smiles

smiles Member

My parents also weren't sure about D.O.'s until they went to an Awareness Conference with me, where others were able to talk about osteopathy and it's philosophy. They were sold on it immediately. I would recommend that or getting information from other sources...Then they will love and accept it like we do!!!

6. reed0104

reed0104 Senior Member

Josh,

Only apply to D.O. schools. That would definately show them you are interested in being a D.O.

One thing I think you should think about is your personal numbers.(MCAT etc) are they so low that you might not pass classes? I can tell you MANY people fail tests and some of those students won't be with us next year unfortunately. Med School is hard, its like 2 full time jobs.

If your numbers are low, why are they low? Get ready to answer this because they will DEFINATELY ask you about it in an interview.

Good Luck with your apps, I know it sucks

reed0104 - DO 04' (hopefully)