I screwed up really bad this semester in bio lab.How the heck do I study for lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How the heck do I study for a lab practical exam? I dont want to mess up on labs next semester. What am I doing wrong? I ddoing well on labs themselves, but I keep on screwing up on lab practical exams, which are major part of the grade (75%), hence that contributed to my low grade in bio 111 lab. Next semester we will be doing all animal stuff like dissecting frogs, etc..I noticed that the most of the questions on a lab practical are microscope related. Those are the ones I keep on getting wrong. How do I study for a question like that? basically, the pointer is at a certain part and you have to name the part.

Members don't see this ad.

How the heck do I study for a lab practical exam? I dont want to mess up on labs next semester. What am I doing wrong? I ddoing well on labs themselves, but I keep on screwing up on lab practical exams, which are major part of the grade (75%), hence that contributed to my low grade in bio 111 lab. Next semester we will be doing all animal stuff like dissecting frogs, etc..I noticed that the most of the questions on a lab practical are microscope related. Those are the ones I keep on getting wrong. How do I study for a question like that? basically, the pointer is at a certain part and you have to name the part.
Get a worksheet with the names of the parts of the microscope on it?

Get a worksheet with the names of the parts of the microscope on it?

I think he means parts of a cell under a microscope slide. :p

You can find a lot of this stuff online. Like if your professor expects you to know parts of adipose tissue under a microscope, google "adipose cells" and practice identifying the visible structures in various different images. These aren't the easiest practicals, but if you pay attention during lab and do a bit of review on your own time, you'll be golden.

Voila:
http://neuromedia.neurobio.ucla.edu/campbell/connective_tissue/wp_images/2_adipose_cells.gif
http://missinglink.ucsf.edu/lm/IDS_101_histo_resource/images/188_Adipose.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
go through your lab workbook and look for any mention of cells or organisms and then write them down and look them up later.

review the parts of the cell.

The first thing you need to do is to make sure you are reading everything that your lab instructors provide you with (this means the manual, including the boring background section, and any textbook pages or websites the manual mentions). Often times, lab practical questions are pulled directly from information hidden in the text to separate out the students who are preparing well from those who aren't. If you are asked to identify a structure, I'd be willing to bet that there is a figure in your manual or a book, showing you what it is and what it looks like.

After you've done that, you should probably work on narrowing down your focus during the actual lab. If you see a structure during lab, or the TA reviews something on the board during lab, write it down. If you have notes that say "structure X looks like ____", it will be much easier for you to review later on.

Good luck!

When I took a dissecting lab we had a list of all of the structures we had to be able to identify. I identified them as we studied each one, and then during the week before the lab exam a friend and I would go into the lab, and make each other find every part we needed to identify. We did similar things with the microscope slides, we picked out about 6 of each that we had used and found all that we could on there. Drawing pictures of the blood supplies, and anything you can see and then labeling it also helps. I also took pictures of everything we studied, and then went home and labeled all of the structures on the computer. I was getting A's on the lab exams after I started doing all of this.

Most of the slides can be found on Google images.