I should have failed step 2 CS but miracles do happen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bumboclot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a long-time reader of SDN and was not going to post anything about Step 2 CS. However that would not be fair, seeing that I lived off of the posts of others while awaiting my score.
I took Step 2 CS on December 2, 2016 and received my score at 11 AM February 1, 2017. Honestly I am not exactly sure how I passed. I was scared $&!@"-// that after getting so many interviews for a very competitive specialty, that I would be ineligible to participate in the match. I never really thought about or studied for Step 2 CS, because I felt that my school prepared me very well with practice OSCEs every year. I am applying to a very specific sub specialty, that doesn't require a lot of general medicine concepts. I should've known better and if I could go back, would really pay attention to Step 2 CS my first aid. With that said here's what I did wrong which greatly outnumber is what I may have done right. LOL but take it for what it's worth, and just know that the overwhelming odds are in your favor. Being over two months out from the exam, this is all that I can remember.

What I did wrong:
1. I wrote multiple diagnoses on the same line. Stupid I know, but I have always done that on the wards. I would for example put migraine headache vs tension headache, and then explain my reasoning for both. That was by and large the biggest mistake I made. You lose one point per extra diagnoses for each case. That is an incredible amount of points and nearly the reason I threw all my money away on this test

2. I missed a neural exam when it warranted it
3. I did not counsel any patient
4. I did not ask an extensive review of systems. Kept it very basic
5. Barely showed sympathy, because I was more worried about finishing a complete HPI and physical exam.
6 Had no pertinent physical exam findings to justify a diagnosis on eight out of 12 cases
7 I did not designate the review of systems questions separately in the HPI.
8 I did not specifically write which doses of medications are being taken
9. I ate the mystery meat during the lunch session, and subsequently had explosive diarrhea causing me to miss 10 minutes in the last three cases ( at this point I knew I was screwed )
10. I read every single post entitled " I failed step two cs" and every single derivative of that statement. LOL

What I did right:
1. Gel-ed into every case with the alcohol to save time
2. I cleaned my stethoscope with an alcohol pad in each visit
3. I finished every case.
4. I summarized every case
5 I focused on the patient rather than writing notes
6. I speak English very well

What I did very right
1. Being in AMG, the percentage chance that I passed was incredibly high. I still prayed more than you can imagine just to make sure I passed. LOL no matter your faith, pray!

My scores :
SEP off the charts to the right meaning excellent
CIS Midway between borderline and off the charts.
ICE past literally buy one star. Not sure exactly what allowed me to pass. But this was the section I almost undoubtedly failed. The physical exam portion and patient note it's Critical here. I didn't no sort of practicing on the patient note, nor did I know that there was a character limit. This thru me for a huge loop when I try to take my first note. I highly recommend that you practice on a note. There is a template online. Follow it. And you will pass much higher than I did

Finally: there is always a very high chance you passed. So be confident and try to find something to pass your time while you wait for the score.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on passing , but u seemed did everything well other than the diagnosis section.
How focused were u in the PE and Hx?

Congrats on passing , but u seemed did everything well other than the diagnosis section.
How focused were u in the PE and Hx?
Thank you. When I say I didn't prep, I didn't do a single thing for it. So my PE and hx were very basic. I always listened to heart and lungs real quick and would do a focused exam on what I thought needed to be done. For the Neuro one I started with that one and then did heart and lung after. I asked basic ROS questions during the exam to save time.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a vague inkling that we were supposed to clean our stethoscopes. But the fact that they emphasized so many times that wearing a glove replaces using hand sanitizer kind of overrode me to clean my stethoscope. Is this a big mistake?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a vague inkling that we were supposed to clean our stethoscopes. But the fact that they emphasized so many times that wearing a glove replaces using hand sanitizer kind of overrode me to clean my stethoscope. Is this a big mistake?
no, I didn't do that. also I made plenty of mistakes and still easily passed. Thank God.

I am a long-time reader of SDN and was not going to post anything about Step 2 CS. However that would not be fair, seeing that I lived off of the posts of others while awaiting my score.
I took Step 2 CS on December 2, 2016 and received my score at 11 AM February 1, 2017. Honestly I am not exactly sure how I passed. I was scared $&!@"-// that after getting so many interviews for a very competitive specialty, that I would be ineligible to participate in the match. I never really thought about or studied for Step 2 CS, because I felt that my school prepared me very well with practice OSCEs every year. I am applying to a very specific sub specialty, that doesn't require a lot of general medicine concepts. I should've known better and if I could go back, would really pay attention to Step 2 CS my first aid. With that said here's what I did wrong which greatly outnumber is what I may have done right. LOL but take it for what it's worth, and just know that the overwhelming odds are in your favor. Being over two months out from the exam, this is all that I can remember.

What I did wrong:
1. I wrote multiple diagnoses on the same line. Stupid I know, but I have always done that on the wards. I would for example put migraine headache vs tension headache, and then explain my reasoning for both. That was by and large the biggest mistake I made. You lose one point per extra diagnoses for each case. That is an incredible amount of points and nearly the reason I threw all my money away on this test

2. I missed a neural exam when it warranted it
3. I did not counsel any patient
4. I did not ask an extensive review of systems. Kept it very basic
5. Barely showed sympathy, because I was more worried about finishing a complete HPI and physical exam.
6 Had no pertinent physical exam findings to justify a diagnosis on eight out of 12 cases
7 I did not designate the review of systems questions separately in the HPI.
8 I did not specifically write which doses of medications are being taken
9. I ate the mystery meat during the lunch session, and subsequently had explosive diarrhea causing me to miss 10 minutes in the last three cases ( at this point I knew I was screwed )
10. I read every single post entitled " I failed step two cs" and every single derivative of that statement. LOL

What I did right:
1. Gel-ed into every case with the alcohol to save time
2. I cleaned my stethoscope with an alcohol pad in each visit
3. I finished every case.
4. I summarized every case
5 I focused on the patient rather than writing notes
6. I speak English very well

What I did very right
1. Being in AMG, the percentage chance that I passed was incredibly high. I still prayed more than you can imagine just to make sure I passed. LOL no matter your faith, pray!

My scores :
SEP off the charts to the right meaning excellent
CIS Midway between borderline and off the charts.
ICE past literally buy one star. Not sure exactly what allowed me to pass. But this was the section I almost undoubtedly failed. The physical exam portion and patient note it's Critical here. I didn't no sort of practicing on the patient note, nor did I know that there was a character limit. This thru me for a huge loop when I try to take my first note. I highly recommend that you practice on a note. There is a template online. Follow it. And you will pass much higher than I did

Finally: there is always a very high chance you passed. So be confident and try to find something to pass your time while you wait for the score.
Thanks for sharing your experience
Can you tell me please , when the student fail regarding the chart - if it is below the borderline !!?
Thanks again

Are we supposed to write negative findings in ROS. I am doing FA and in every case it says "none except as above " ( as in HPI)

Also, the raised cut off is freaking me out

Are we supposed to write negative findings in ROS. I am doing FA and in every case it says "none except as above " ( as in HPI)

Also, the raised cut off is freaking me out
I literally wrote "a comprehensive ROS was performed and was negative except for: (insert positives here)" and I passed pretty handily.

I literally wrote "a comprehensive ROS was performed and was negative except for: (insert positives here)" and I passed pretty handily.

Thank you! Could you also tell me if you performed respiratory exam on both sides or just front/back? And If I don't elicit DTRs because of my own poor technique, what do I write in PN?

Thank you so much for replying.

Thank you! Could you also tell me if you performed respiratory exam on both sides or just front/back? And If I don't elicit DTRs because of my own poor technique, what do I write in PN?

Thank you so much for replying.
For the lung exam I just listened on the back! So it seems like you did more than enough there if you did both front and back haha...and do you mean you didn't elicit any reflexes at all?

For the lung exam I just listened on the back! So it seems like you did more than enough there if you did both front and back haha...and do you mean you didn't elicit any reflexes at all?

My exam is in November so I am just preparing for it :)
I mean if I don't elicit reflexes should I write DTRs 2+ or 1+

Yeah just document whatever you find! Never make up an exam finding lol...usually if the patient is supposed to be hyperreflexic they will over exaggerate it! So you'll definitely know.

My trick to ROS on the CS as well as on the floor is "ROS: As per HPI". Of course, I make sure that I have mentioned any pertinent positives and negatives in HPI, like "No fever or chills but endorses night sweats. Positive for cough and chest pain." Passed CS with pretty good ICE this way.

My advise to you prepare very well with study partner , Make sure you can find DD for the cases , If you are IMG be sure that you can speak English very well , regarding your communication skills What you are doing now during the practice you will do it automatically in the real deal So do your best now
Best wishes

My advise to you prepare very well with study partner , Make sure you can find DD for the cases , If you are IMG be sure that you can speak English very well , regarding your communication skills What you are doing now during the practice you will do it automatically in the real deal So do your best now
Best wishes

Thank you! Definitely need to practice a lot.