I shoulda stayed home...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMightyAngus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any med students feel like they shoulda stayed home and gone to a state med school instead of some place private and more expensive? Aside from Best Medical School, is it worth shelling out the extra clams to go to Tufts, GW, Jefferson, NYMC, USC, Georgetown, Tulane, etc. over your fully-licensed, run of the mill, no fills state school? Are there any advantages worth the significant price tag? I only ask cause my state school is pretty damn expensive and it keeps jacking the price.

Members don't see this ad.

I turned down NYMC in favor of SUNY Upstate, even though NYMC is closer to home. Neither one is Harvard. SUNY is cheaper, even if you're out of state at first (cuz you can apply for NYS residency and then get in-state tuition 2nd, 3rd, 4th years).

I never understood this either. What's so great about a private school? Thicker paper for my diploma? ;) Wood paneling on my classroom walls?

I might have chosen Harvard over SUNY Upstate though. But you never know.

TheMightyAngus said:
Any med students feel like they shoulda stayed home and gone to a state med school instead of some place private and more expensive? Aside from Best Medical School, is it worth shelling out the extra clams to go to Tufts, GW, Jefferson, NYMC, USC, Georgetown, Tulane, etc. over your fully-licensed, run of the mill, no fills state school? Are there any advantages worth the significant price tag? I only ask cause my state school is pretty damn expensive and it keeps jacking the price.

The best reason to go to a private school is if you have a compelling reason to be in a specific location. I went all-expenses paid to a large state school for undergrad and am now at a I-pay-all-expenses at a private medical school. Is it worth the extra cost? Only because it was the only way my husband and I could be in the same city which to me is an intangible benefit not measured by dollars. The extra attention from the deans and prettier campus are definitely not worth it, although I do believe there are more opportunities and better teaching at my campus than at my state school--just not $30,000+ worth.

Edit: My school is generally considered a top 20 which to me makes it somewhat more worthwhile than paying for NYMC for example which is rarely anyones top choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about columbia vs a state school?

pillowhead said:
The best reason to go to a private school is if you have a compelling reason to be in a specific location. I went all-expenses paid to a large state school for undergrad and am now at a I-pay-all-expenses at a private medical school. Is it worth the extra cost? Only because it was the only way my husband and I could be in the same city which to me is an intangible benefit not measured by dollars. The extra attention from the deans and prettier campus are definitely not worth it, although I do believe there are more opportunities and better teaching at my campus than at my state school--just not $30,000+ worth.

Edit: My school is generally considered a top 20 which to me makes it somewhat more worthwhile than paying for NYMC for example which is rarely anyones top choice.

TheMightyAngus said:

What state do you live in? I'm living in Missouri right now, and people here seem to think that Mizzou is the most expensive state school, as far as med schools go.

As far as myself, I am going to my state school (University of Washington) because it is ranked fairly highly, was my first choice and has some programs that other schools I looked at did not have. However, if your state school is about the same price as a private school and you have no compelling reason to go there, I'd look into other options...

OntheRoof55 said:
what about columbia vs a state school?

That depends on your state and what your aspirations are. If you're relatively sure you will end up in private practice eventually doing something not super insanely competitive, I think a state school is fine. That said, many state schools turn out fine orthopedic and neurosurgeons and many academic physicians. You'll probably just have to work a little harder to reach that goal coming from a state school. And all state schools are not alike.

It also depends on the price difference. If it means an extra $50,000 debt to go to Columbia, I'd go there. If it meant an extra $200,000 to go to Columbia, I would not.

TheMightyAngus said:
i'm going to school in manhattan over a similarly ranked state school and i'm having a freakin' blast. true, my state school is only 10K a year cheaper than where i am now, but i would make the same decision again in a heartbeat. if you're miserable for 4 years, is it really gonna be worth the 50 or so grand to you later in life?