I STILL suck at st. testing...advice needed please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keepsmiling10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have 3 days left to study (my exam is early next week) and I am still not hitting the mark I'd like. Where am I going wrong?/What can I do? Any tips would be phenomenally helpful!

Background if it helps:
I didn't do great on Step 1 (just slightly below avg) because I have historically been a poor standardized test taker (but do fine on everything else!). I've spent a solid 3 weeks reviewing for Step 2 CK, 10-12 hrs a day.
Listened to Step 2 Goljan lectures carefully.
Read most of Crush Step 2.
Used FA & Step Up as references (but really only looked things up for the most part).
Done about 2/3 of USMLE World (will prob finish at least another 20%) and read each answer and took notes.
Currently, my avg (from the very beginning) stands at 59% and I have recently been getting mostly about 61% on my tests (timed-44 Q's). Occasionally, I've had a random test in the 70's (though I've also had random ones in the high 40's in the past).

Goal is 240. I just don't think that's undoable with the effot I put in.

Also, I can't really push the test back because I have my surgery sub-I next month.
I've tried to analyze my "weak points" but they don't seem to be adding up or having a logical pattern.

I'm not really freaking out because I'm sure I'll pass, I'm just frustrated because I really feel like I can rock this but can't figure out my obstacle. Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have not. So I don't necessarily have that to judge by at all....but I kind of figure it wouldn't be that different than doing several blocks of UWorld, right?

I guess I just gotta keep going for now and then really, just give it my all and know that I did...

Med school is the most humbling experience.

No, it wouldnt be that different at all. The only difference being you'll get an approximate score rather than just a percent, which isnt all that accurate anyways. You can be doing a consistent 50% in UW and still get ~240 just be the fact that youre learning from all your mistakes.

At this point, Id probably just look at the UW breakdown of your weakest subjects and go back to Crush (or Secrets if you have it) and start pounding away. A couple days before my exam, I read through almost all of Secrets (Crush is by the same author and has most of the same stuff anyways) again and it definitely got me a few more questions right than I would have otherwise. Best of luck!

Agreed that med school, and medicine in general, is very humbling. Youre better off than a lot of people in this field for realizing that.