I think I had a panic attack

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcr_massage

BodyworkSweety
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of you might find this funny. I will not be applying to schols until not this summer but next summer so I have a little ways to go still. However the other day I went with my friend who is a psychiatrist to the medical school he graduated from six years ago. It is an allopathic school that is in my hometown. Anyways he wanted to pay some respects to his old dean of student affairs and decided to take me with. However I didn't know that we were going, I thought we were just heading out for lunch and a little xmas shopping.
Anyways when we get there, here me in sweatshirt and jeans, then I find out that she is not only the dean of student affairs but frequently participates in teh interview process. Now truthfully I am planning on applying to osteopathic schools. However because this school is in my home town there is a chance it will be the only allopathic school I apply to. So while we were talking to her, she started asking me questions about my major and what classes I was taking etc and very quickly figured out that I am on a pre-med track without me saying it. Suddenly as she asked more and more questions my chest started hurting and I could and it hurt to take a breath. Of course I tried to not let it show.
We got along fine and she said I will be looking forward seeing you in a few application cycles etc....... Once I left the office the pain went away and my friend (the psychiatrist; said I'm sorry, I didn't realize it would make you nervous to speak to her) Then he kind of laughed and said " I didn't realize that you were already this dead set on medical school, I thought you were just considering it still.

Anyways I thought you might find my story humorous; I'm not sure if it's a good thing I met her before my app cycle or a bad thing.

Blessings
Bodyworksweety

Members don't see this ad.

jcr_massage said:
Some of you might find this funny. I will not be applying to schols until not this summer but next summer so I have a little ways to go still. However the other day I went with my friend who is a psychiatrist to the medical school he graduated from six years ago. It is an allopathic school that is in my hometown. Anyways he wanted to pay some respects to his old dean of student affairs and decided to take me with. However I didn't know that we were going, I thought we were just heading out for lunch and a little xmas shopping.
Anyways when we get there, here me in sweatshirt and jeans, then I find out that she is not only the dean of student affairs but frequently participates in teh interview process. Now truthfully I am planning on applying to osteopathic schools. However because this school is in my home town there is a chance it will be the only allopathic school I apply to. So while we were talking to her, she started asking me questions about my major and what classes I was taking etc and very quickly figured out that I am on a pre-med track without me saying it. Suddenly as she asked more and more questions my chest started hurting and I could and it hurt to take a breath. Of course I tried to not let it show.
We got along fine and she said I will be looking forward seeing you in a few application cycles etc....... Once I left the office the pain went away and my friend (the psychiatrist; said I'm sorry, I didn't realize it would make you nervous to speak to her) Then he kind of laughed and said " I didn't realize that you were already this dead set on medical school, I thought you were just considering it still.

Anyways I thought you might find my story humorous; I'm not sure if it's a good thing I met her before my app cycle or a bad thing.

Blessings
Bodyworksweety

Wow.

Well, the event took you by suprise. Hell I'd be suprised out of my wits too.

Maybe it'll work out for you. You know what I think? I think they set you up on purpose to catch you off guard. The psychiatrist friend of yours probably really favors you as a medical school canidate and led you to believe that you would go Christmas shopping.

Instead you met the dean of the school - who most likely was expecting you to be nervous and unprepared for all those questions.

Remember this is a medical school. The dean knew you were going to act this way. If you were serious about medical school, you would be nervous and anxious - he or she would expect that.

This reminds me of a military quote from Sun Tzu but I can't think of it right now.

But anyway, what happened to you was a great honor. Certaintly you are already favored by that school. The dean probably is looking forward to seeing your profile now.

May I ask what school this is?

CatsandCradles said:
Wow.

Well, the event took you by suprise. Hell I'd be suprised out of my wits too.

Maybe it'll work out for you. You know what I think? I think they set you up on purpose to catch you off guard. The psychiatrist friend of yours probably really favors you as a medical school canidate and led you to believe that you would go Christmas shopping.

Instead you met the dean of the school - who most likely was expecting you to be nervous and unprepared for all those questions.

Remember this is a medical school. The dean knew you were going to act this way. If you were serious about medical school, you would be nervous and anxious - he or she would expect that.

This reminds me of a military quote from Sun Tzu but I can't think of it right now.

But anyway, what happened to you was a great honor. Certaintly you are already favored by that school. The dean probably is looking forward to seeing your profile now.

May I ask what school this is?

Certainly, I live in Toledo Ohio so the school is Medical University of Ohio formerly known as Medical College Of Ohio. It's a small school that is difficult to read sometime in who they accept. I have a friend who got waitlisted there with some very impressive stats and extra curriculars and I have a friend who went there with a 28 MCAT and only a 3.2 GPA but impressive extra curriculars so as usual with medical schools it's hard to say what exactly they are looking for.

Overall I'm almost positive I will apply there in addition to a number of osteopathic schools simply because the benefits of being able to "stay home" where my support network is rank pretty high on my list for dealing with trials of medical school. Certainly my community contacts in this area make an acceptance at this school more likely also.

Blessings
Bodywork sweety

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh, get out of Toledo.

It's like the La Brea Tar Pits....you'll be stuck there forever. :(

I mean, MCO is nice and all that...but it's in TOLEDO.

LOL Get out of Toledo. It's so funny to me that everyone says that, because I don't mind Toledo at all. I've lived all over the country and moved 39 times in my life to be exact and of all the places I've lived including Rochester MN, Miami Fl, Phoenix AZ, and Myrtle Beach I still don't mind Toledo. But I guess that comes from moving so much, I learned that home is what you make it. Not too mention, in my whole life of living everywhere but here all my Mom ever wanted was to come home to the family. I guess I feel lucky that I am here close to my loved ones for once. I have friends and a life here and I have to admit the only reason I will apply to MCO an allopathic school when my interests are really closer to Osteopathic is because it offers me that little warm feeling of staying home and not having to move again, at least for a while.

I know it's a stupid reason to pick a medical school, but let's face it, medical school will probably be one of the most challenging things I ever have to overcome, something tells me that it will be infinitely easier to handle with a good support network. Here I not only have my friends, but my family, my whole family, I mean aunts, uncles, cousins, so and so's that knew me way back when etc.

OU is appealing for the same reasons, at least there my borther will be in the same area and my parents are likely to move to Columbus in the next year also.

Blessings
Bodyworksweety