I think I just failed pre-calculus. Feeling discouraged.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude11315

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just need to vent. I don't know how many of you guys have had a failure.. but I've failed quite a lot. In middle school we had to take a math placement test and I scored a 299. 300 was the cutoff in order to take algebra 1, 2, and trig in highschool. Because I scored 299, I was set 2 years behind in math and took 3 years of remedial algebra (which did not involve trig), and my senior year taking geometry. SAT score was around a 950.
Gosh I feel terrible. It was a summer course and I felt pretty good for the first half. We only had 2 exams, and a homework grade. I had a B+ average before the final exam today. That's the highest I've ever had in a math class. But the final exam was worth 50 percent of our grade and I don't think I got above a 45. It definitely would've shot my grade down to a C- at best. Realistically, probably a D. My grandfather passed two days ago and I've been jaded ever since. I didn't tell my professor, she probably would've thought I was kissing up to have my grade reconsidered.
I graduated high school in 2018, typical 4 years would've been 2022. I transferred colleges last semester and all my credits didn't come through. So now I would've been due to graduate by 2023. Now that I probably failed precalculus, it may have just put me a year back more to 2024. Precalclulus is a prerequisite for the rest of the science based classes at my university in order to graduate.
I'm feeling extremely discouraged. Can anyone relate? I feel like I'm against a wall right now. I want to show I have what it takes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just need to vent. I don't know how many of you guys have had a failure.. but I've failed quite a lot. In middle school we had to take a math placement test and I scored a 299. 300 was the cutoff in order to take algebra 1, 2, and trig in highschool. Because I scored 299, I was set 2 years behind in math and took 3 years of remedial algebra (which did not involve trig), and my senior year taking geometry. SAT score was around a 950.
Gosh I feel terrible. It was a summer course and I felt pretty good for the first half. We only had 2 exams, and a homework grade. I had a B+ average before the final exam today. That's the highest I've ever had in a math class. But the final exam was worth 50 percent of our grade and I don't think I got above a 45. It definitely would've shot my grade down to a C- at best. Realistically, probably a D. My grandfather passed two days ago and I've been jaded ever since. I didn't tell my professor, she probably would've thought I was kissing up to have my grade reconsidered.
I graduated high school in 2018, typical 4 years would've been 2022. I transferred colleges last semester and all my credits didn't come through. So now I would've been due to graduate by 2023. Now that I probably failed precalculus, it may have just put me a year back more to 2024. Precalclulus is a prerequisite for the rest of the science based classes at my university in order to graduate.
I'm feeling extremely discouraged. Can anyone relate? I feel like I'm against a wall right now. I want to show I have what it takes.

I can absolutely relate to this. I had never been good at math and I always felt less intelligent than my peers because of it. I didn't take Algebra 2 until college and I was always a year behind everyone. I have had life situations come up during the semester as well. I had a family member pass away this year directly before finals of the Spring semester and I was just open and honest with my professors. They know me as a student and knew I wasn't trying to suck up, and most professors are pretty understanding. Like you, I went to a college my first year where none of my credits transferred over, which set me back. Also, I had a poor counselor throughout my college experience, leading to taking many classes that I did not need, and not taking the courses that were required. I am in my 7th year right now, and will be finishing in the fall. Not going to sugar coat it, it sucks. It is so frustrating, especially when everyone else graduates and you have so much left to go but you will get through it. It may take longer but this is your journey, try not to compare to other people and just focus on the tasks at hand.

Reactions: 2 users
Not a big deal. You have plenty of time to fix it. You still have plenty of classes to take, so you are not going to be stuck despite that you have not passed calculus. A few options for retaking calculus:
-Read professors' reviews and enroll to another calculus class with a professor who got good students' reviews. In general, it is always a good idea to do this little research before registering for classes to avid a**hole instructors.
-Consider calculus in a community college. That may save you money.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about your situation and your continuous misfortune. Just remember that tough times don't last, but tough people do.

I would also like to point out that physics and math courses are notoriously difficult in the condensed summer format. I actually withdrew from my summer physics class (no credit and lost tuition) so I can somewhat empathize with that part.

All things considered, you have a long life ahead of you with many ups on the way. A two year delay may seem big now, but it isn't something to worry about. Besides, I believe the average PT student is 24 so you're technically on track haha. You got this!

EDIT: Even if you start school after 24, it doesn't matter. A DPT student is a DPT student regardless of their life journey. Don't give up!

Reactions: 2 users
I am taking precalculus this semester, I am having a hard time catching up since I have been out of school for so long. I had the first test just about 2 hours ago, and I did horrible. But that did not discourage me even though I am feeling frustrated, I know I have to do more exercises and catch up on homework, hoping I would make progress. Don't be discourage, at least you are not alone. Keep working hard, you will pass!