I think I messed up :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohgrl76

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first I want to say how helpful this site has been for me, I only wish I had found it earlier!

Here is my situation: I decided on pre-med late in college (junior year), and I had to quickly jump into all those science pre-reqs and didn't do very well in them. I have a science gpa of 3.32 and an overall gpa of 3.65. I don't have much volunteer experience either, because the summer after my junior year I was diagnosed with a chronic disease. I'm ok now, but my senior year was very difficult as I tried to get it under control. I did ok on the MCAT despite this with a 10 PS 10 BS and 11 V. I graduated in June, and I moved to Chicago and I work in a research lab and will likely get a publication out of it.

I didn't have anyone helping me or giving me advice on being pre-med, and I didn't realize how important it was to get my apps in early, so most of them were not complete until Sept through October.

I guess I'm just wondering how badly I messed up my chances of getting into med school with a low science gpa, not much volunteering, and applying late? And the gpa can't change much, but I can volunteer this year and apply earlier next year, would that help? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

September to October isn't the end of the world. If your application is strong you should be getting a few interviews come January to March.

Patience dohgrl.

Did you apply broadly?

I agree... I kinda think early apps are a little overrated. It definitely doesn't hurt- but it'd be nice to see where you're applying. My app was done in August and I haven't even gone to my "in-state" interview yet, and a few others are like this. This might be the same for your state schools. Just keep on trying to get published, I think that will be a major thing for you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I applied to reasonable schools, for the most part I didn't try to go too far out of my league. And I tried to claim residency in both OH and IL, although it backfired a bit as I couldn't claim it for some schools where I really wanted to be a resident (UIC).

I applied to:
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Wright State
Saint Louis U
Medical College of Wisc
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
UIC
Rush
George Washington

and I already got rejected from Case Western and University of Wisconsin

I think if I reapply I would add some smaller schools that are in cities, like Drexel and Tulane.

Thanks for the responses!

1. Retake MCAT unless you think you did your best.
2. Apply early.
3. Volunteer in the year between.

Look on the bright side, at least you know where you are lacking now and can use this year to improve. Good luck! :thumbup:

maybe definitely consider drexel, temple, jefferson, nymc, maybe einstein too? if you want to broaden your list a bit

I also filled out the primary app for DO schools, but I really would prefer to go to an MD program. Should I apply DO this year? Or do you think there is a chance for me to get into an MD program still this year or next year if I reapply?

Biggest red flag on your app is going to be the volunteering. Your apps aren't that late, mine were completed on or about Sept 30 and I've been lucky enough to get a bunch of interviews. Your MCAT score is on target for the schools you're looking at, so that's not it. GPA could be higher, but what are you going to do?

No, the biggest problem is that ad coms are going to look at your app and wonder about commitment to medicine. If '09 admissions doesn't work out, find a doc to shadow at a teaching hospital and get involved in a clinical research project. That way when you apply this summer you have the following that you didn't have this time: a glowing rec from this doctor, perhaps a publication submitted, 100's of hours of volunteering/clinical stuff, and a personal statement that will reflect all of those.

No, the biggest problem is that ad coms are going to look at your app and wonder about commitment to medicine. If '09 admissions doesn't work out, find a doc to shadow at a teaching hospital and get involved in a clinical research project. That way when you apply this summer you have the following that you didn't have this time: a glowing rec from this doctor, perhaps a publication submitted, 100's of hours of volunteering/clinical stuff, and a personal statement that will reflect all of those.

This is good advice. :thumbup:

I would recommend applying MD/DO if things don't work out this time around, its up to you though.. Your sGPA is a little low and could be a roadblock. Good job on the MCAT. good luck!