I think I need a mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have anyone in my family who I consider a role model. I admire my mother, and love her to death, but I feel like I need to talk to someone from a similar background as me who was able to become a doctor. It's just hard to look at what's around you sometimes, and always have the confidence to believe that your future will be any different. Anyone know of any mentoring resources in the NY area who can help a young, black woman?

Members don't see this ad.

I love helping young black women. Unfortunately, I live in LA.

if you shadow a doctor or do research under a PI...that person can become your mentor. what about joining a sorority or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nubian Princess,

I live in the NY area also. What part do you live in? I can't say I had much of a mentor either. I had a student mentor in college. Your mentor doesn't have to be in the same field that you are interested in pursuing.
I had other mentors also (professor and one english guy I interned for). Find someone willing to listen (very important quality) and give some good sound advice.

Hmmm... why don't you talk to someone at your univeristy. My school has a Pan-African studies department and a Minority Business Affairs office... and other minority-minded organizations. Why don't you look for something like that at your school? Also, you could always just go from hospital to hospital looking for black doctors... and just ask to speak with them for a few minutes.

Good luck

I just found out about this resource--AAMC has thing thing for women, Women in Medicine sorta program. contact AAMC or go check their page for such a program. They may be able to help you out.

On a personal note--I consider myself a minority too, especially in my family. I am the daughter of immigrants from a third world country who barely knew how to speak English. I am the only person in my family getting a science education. Also one of the first women in my family to go to college. I think this is a time to look within yourself. Take it as an experience for growth. It can get alienating (I've been there) but you will come out stronger. If you'd like, you can always talk to me. :) But if you want one-on-one in person contact, find out about that AAMC thing. It looks like a good deal.
My best wishes to you. Be well. :)
Tweetie

Perhaps you should do the MMEP (minority medical education program). You'll be assigned a physician mentor with whom you'll go on ward rounds and the like. That way you'll get the opportunity to meet several interesting people in medicine. You'll also get lots of free pizza :D and make lots of friends. There are also a good # of seminars on anything from biomedical research to interview etiquette.

I think it's an awesome program. You'll get an early exposure to Human Anatomy, and there are lots of eagerly available opportunities to volunteer in any field of medicine. In addition, depending on your college classification, you'll take either pre-med classes with a focus on the MCAT, or you'll take more general college-related classes.

I couldn't participate while I was in college cause I'm a non-US citizen, but I taught OChem @ UASOM's last year and will do the same this summer b4 I head out of the country. I made a point to eat all the pizza I could get my hands on :D . We also saw Jamie Fox perform @ the comedy club, and I went out clubbing a few times with some of the students. It might be past their application deadlines and/or you might already have plans for the summer; but definitely look into it at your convenience.

Nubianprincess-

I sent you a PM :cool:

Thank you all so much for the replies. :)
•••quote:••• I love helping young black women. Unfortunately, I live in LA. ••••Aww, too bad. :wink:

•••quote:••• It can get alienating (I've been there) but you will come out stronger. ••••I think maybe this is why i've felt a little down, feeling like im in it alone and no one else can truly comprehend. Maybe it will make me a stronger, independent person.

I'll definately look into those programs, and I greatly appreciate the advice.

Hey--

Just to add onto the list of resources... a great organization that may be helpful is-- Student National Medical Association (SNMA). (sorry, i don't have their URL offhand, but you can search for them on the internet). I'm pretty sure that they have a mentorship program through the organization to connect minority premeds and med students to doctors and other health professionals.

Hope that helps! Good luck to ya!
:)