I think I'm applying to too many programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SexPanther

This could be a problem
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just recently made the decision to pursue training in IM, so I'm relatively new to this forum. I'm a 4th yr D.O. student, top 1% of my class, 250s on USMLE step 1. I've designated 25 programs on ERAS so far (all university based b/c I'd like to pursue fellowship training) b/c I feel that as a D.O. I need to apply more broadly.

However, 25 seems pretty excessive, but I was hoping to get some perspective from you guys. Is that a good number for me to obtain an adequate number of interviews, or should I cut it down/add to it?

I tried to search, couldn't find anything really. I appreciate any input you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

That doesn't seem like an unreasonable number to me. I applied to 28 programs last year (and I'm MD/PhD, AOA, blah, blah, blah) got interviews at 24 and ended up interviewing at 18 of them. I definitely over-applied but was pleasantly surprised by a few programs that were in the "well, I should probably to more places just because" category. Remember that you can always not interview at a place. If you get to the point that 20 of those 25 places offer you interviews and you can't swing the time/cost to go to all of them you can either not schedule some or cancel ones you've already scheduled. By the first of Jan you will probably be sick of travelling and interviewing and will want to blow the rest of them off.

Good luck
BE (now PE)

brooklyneric said:
That doesn't seem like an unreasonable number to me. I applied to 28 programs last year (and I'm MD/PhD, AOA, blah, blah, blah) got interviews at 24 and ended up interviewing at 18 of them. I definitely over-applied but was pleasantly surprised by a few programs that were in the "well, I should probably to more places just because" category. Remember that you can always not interview at a place. If you get to the point that 20 of those 25 places offer you interviews and you can't swing the time/cost to go to all of them you can either not schedule some or cancel ones you've already scheduled. By the first of Jan you will probably be sick of travelling and interviewing and will want to blow the rest of them off.

Good luck
BE (now PE)

Thanks for the reply. I would much rather have more options than not.