I think I'm screwed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bassfisher

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for 08', 3.7 GPA 30+ mcat, EC's+++, URM. I thought I had an excellent chance at most schools until I saw the misdemeanors disclosure clause on AMCAS. I got a misdemeanor possession of marijuana paraphernalia in the first month of my freshman year (4 yrs ago). I basically changed my "ways", and haven't got in trouble since, plus that was my only violation ever..for anything, not even a speeding ticket. I know this is a MAJOR red flag for schools. Do you know anyone who has gotten into med school with a misdemeanor drug charge? How does this charge affect the residency or licensure process?

Members don't see this ad.

haha, you pothead !!

Well many schools ask you to explain the offense and If i were you, I would take that opportunity to explain how you have also changed. None the less, it will hurt you, but hopefully not too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying for 08', 3.7 GPA 30+ mcat, EC's+++, URM. I thought I had an excellent chance at most schools until I saw the misdemeanors disclosure clause on AMCAS. I got a misdemeanor possession of marijuana paraphernalia in the first month of my freshman year (4 yrs ago). I basically changed my "ways", and haven't got in trouble since, plus that was my only violation ever..for anything, not even a speeding ticket. I know this is a MAJOR red flag for schools. Do you know anyone who has gotten into med school with a misdemeanor drug charge? How does this charge affect the residency or licensure process?

Were you definitely charged with a misdemeanor or were you just written a citation for a misdemeanor and later lowered? I knew many people who were cited for a misdemeanor, but later lowered to non-moving traffic violation and no harm was done to their record.

Yes it will hurt your chances. However, given your rather stellar stats, I think you'll still have a shot at most schools. Again, expect to explain yourself, and expect some ethical questions thrown in your direction.

Medical schools understand that people sometimes make mistakes. However, they want to make sure that they're accepting the best candidate still.

p.s. "Changed your 'ways'" means you got smarter eh? Drugs are bad, stop doing it.

Call a few schools to ask what the policy is. What you want tis a chance to explain yourself and not to be automatically screened out cos you clicked the yes box to a particular question o n the AMCAS.
I was in a similar situation for something else and i was told by the dean of admissions (after the fact) that my app was thrown in the rejected pile as soon as they saw that yes box checked for the question. They did not even read the explanation. She also said that not all schools have this policy so call around and see what you can find out b4 you apply.

Call a few schools to ask what the policy is. What you want tis a chance to explain yourself and not to be automatically screened out cos you clicked the yes box to a particular question o n the AMCAS.
I was in a similar situation for something else and i was told by the dean of admissions (after the fact) that my app was thrown in the rejected pile as soon as they saw that yes box checked for the question. They did not even read the explanation. She also said that not all schools have this policy so call around and see what you can find out b4 you apply.

Seriously, they threw out the app without even looking at the explanation? Ah ****, not looking good for me. I'm ready to explain myself, but I'd at least like them to give me a chance.

Seriously, they threw out the app without even looking at the explanation? Ah ****, not looking good for me. I'm ready to explain myself, but I'd at least like them to give me a chance.

contact the deans and explain your situation...it wont hurt and can only help who knows they may like that you took the initiative to seek out their advice

Look into the exact details. If you were charged but not convicted...then you don't even need to mention it (I don't think). Or just mention that you were charged but that it was a misunderstanding with the officer and they made a mistake and the charges were dropped.

Once again, be completely honest, but you may be making a mountain out of a molehill. How to proceed depends on the specifics on the incident.

Look into the exact details. If you were charged but not convicted...then you don't even need to mention it (I don't think). Or just mention that you were charged but that it was a misunderstanding with the officer and they made a mistake and the charges were dropped.

Once again, be completely honest, but you may be making a mountain out of a molehill. How to proceed depends on the specifics on the incident.

I was convicted of it, had to pay $200 fine, it was all under municipal court however. I thought the judge was excessively harsh on me, considering it was my first charge ever (I expected a suspended sentence, ie expunged after 2 yrs). I don't want to sound like O.J., but I think the judge was being a racist. I have some white friends with the exact same charge, who were given suspended sentences. But, I can't dwell on it, I just have to suck it up and be truthful and hope for the best.

were you over 18? if not then there is no need to mention it. If you were, then what you must do is ..... I don't really know, but if I was you I would apply to every single school if you can afford it. I am sure many will give you a chance but the challenge lies in figuring out which ones will give you a chance thus an alternative to applying to every school would be to do your research and figure out which ones of these schools will give you that chance to explain, it may be time consuming but it is certainly cost effective.

On the seconday application it doesnt give a specific limit on how many words you can write.

What is an appropriate amount?

Members don't see this ad :)
were you over 18? if not then there is no need to mention it. If you were, then what you must do is ..... I don't really know, but if I was you I would apply to every single school if you can afford it. I am sure many will give you a chance but the challenge lies in figuring out which ones will give you a chance thus an alternative to applying to every school would be to do your research and figure out which ones of these schools will give you that chance to explain, it may be time consuming but it is certainly cost effective.

Thanks, that's good advice. I had just turned 18 when all this crap went down. I haven't touched the stuff since. I just hope the ADCOMS can judge me by my stats, personality, and motivations, and not on one extraordinarily stupid night.

I haven't gotten any secondaries yet, but on the AMCAS you're given like 1300 characters to explain the incident. I filled it up.

I really have no clue about this and I agree that people can change and certainly believe you have...

However, I think medical schools really have to consider this carefully moreso because of being denied medical licensure, DEA cards, etc in the future.... If I were you, I would do some calling/research about those aspects to see if you could potentially have any trouble... Last thing you want to do is fight your way into medical school, only to be unable to become licensed or receieve proper license for Rx writing...

first, its onyl marjuiana, its not a big deal at all.

second, you could use the situation in your favor. you say that your friends are white and that you are black - you don't want to sound like your blaming anything, but you can defiantly move hte situation in your favor.

and as the previos op said , u defiantly want to look into further reprecussions .

sorry mate.

second, you could use the situation in your favor. you say that your friends are white and that you are black - you don't want to sound like your blaming anything, but you can defiantly move hte situation in your favor.

and as the previos op said , u defiantly want to look into further reprecussions .

sorry mate.

the last thing you want to do is play the blame game. Instead, you must make the ADCOMS believe that it was a one time thing, a bad decision you made in the past as a FRESHMAN ( stressing the young and impressionable age factor) and payed for, you must show that you have learned from it and have grown from the experience. It might further help you to start a drug awareness program for incoming freshman at your school it is not too late.

sorry mate.

lol

the last thing you want to do is play the blame game. Instead, you must make the ADCOMS believe that it was a one time thing, a bad decision you made in the past as a FRESHMAN ( stressing the young and impressionable age factor) and payed for, you must show that you have learned from it and have grown from the experience. It might further help you to start a drug awareness program for incoming freshman at your school it is not too late.

Yes, I agree, I'm not going to play the blame game. I accept what I did, and it was idiotic, and honestly my 18yr old mindset is miles away from where I am now. However, I don't think its really my place to start a drug awareness program for freshmen. I smoked marijuana a couple times, and ended up getting busted on one occasion. My only advice would be, if you want to be a professional, don't smoke weed it's not worth the risk. I think my grades, MCAT, PS, EC's, show my level of maturity and hopefully adcoms will notice this at interviews as well.

I have a suggestion, apply to Canadian schools.

Dude, if it comes up in the interview, just be honest... Say it was 4 years ago when you were less mature and ever since that, you've changed your ways (meaning you still smoke week but now you know how to not get caught :laugh: ) just kidding...

Just be honest about it and sound mature.... everyone makes mistakes, ESSPECIALLY when we were young

Wow, that's harsh. Which school is this?

Just bribe em with a fat blunt...

Seriously, be ready to explain this. Apply far and wide and you will be fine.

did you have a lawyer the first time? see if there's anything your old lawyer can do for your record---worth a shot (unless, of course, you think all lawyers are just out to sue doctors)

if it's not on your record, it's not on your record

btw I don't think I'd say this: "My only advice would be, if you want to be a professional, don't smoke weed it's not worth the risk."

your advice ought to be that it was a CRIME and it was substance abuse and you'd highly recommend that people avoid both.