Should I hit PTE if I'm on a waitlist? / CYMS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilcinnamonbun7

Reaction score
I'm very grateful to have gained an MD acceptance ("school A"); I'm also waitlisted at my top choice ("school B"). I am slightly confused by the guidelines for PTE and would appreciate some help. According to school A, PTE is optional for them and is to help them plan / see how many people they can admit off of the waitlist. If I am currently planning on attending school A, but would withdraw to attend school B if admitted off the waitlist, am I the type of student who should select PTE for school A?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No need to use PTE rn if there are no deadlines. I posted a similar question earlier and I think the consensus was avoid it if not yet necessary.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
No need to use PTE rn if there are no deadlines. I posted a similar question earlier and I think the consensus was avoid it if not yet necessary.
Thanks! Related question lol, if I already hit PTE, I can safely "reset" my preference on CYMS and be okay? From what I read it will be fine but I don't want to accidentally withdraw from the school I hit "PTE" for lol

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no harm if you declare or rescind your PTE. I don't know what is involved with rescinding offhand. But yes, it's best to follow the school's instructions and deadlines.

Can schools you are waitlisted at see if you clicked PTE yet for another school?

I was also a bit confused by all the deadlines and terms used but was doing some digging today.

Plan to enroll (PTE) opened up near the end of February this year on the Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) portal on the AMCAS application. The school you choose for PTE can be changed until April 30th. If you have more than 3 acceptances, you should narrow them down to 3 by April 15th (not sure if that is required, just something I've seen mentioned). During the Feb-April 30th period, the school you select PTE for can see aggregate data for everyone selecting or not selecting PTE for them, but they do NOT know the specifics (exact names, etc.) You are not required to give up waitlists while having selected PTE, even after April 30th, but you do have to give up all other acceptances by April 30th.

The option to ommit to enroll (CTE) opens on April 30th and forces you to give up all waitlists and other acceptances too, so definitely do not select that when it opens up, unless you don't care about the WL anymore or are happy with your school

I believe you can stretch the PTE status until around June (school dependent, i think its around 21 days before orientation that you must CTE). After April 30th, I believe schools do know who exactly is opting to go to another school and who is choosing to PTE or CTE to their school. They also know whether waitlisted students have PTE or CTE to another school. They will not know what other schools accepted students choose to go to until after the cycle is done. I can't remember if the school that accepts you can tell how many waitlists you have.

Can schools you are waitlisted at see if you clicked PTE yet for another school?
I'm pretty sure they can after April 30th, but not between now and then (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Am in a similar situation as op and weighing what to do since I only have one A from a school that doesn’t require pte and only requires a cte x days before orientation. Wondering if adcoms will be more likely to select off waitlists if I’m not pte anywhere for yield purposes or if they prefer someone who is already admitted elsewhere. Also I completely understand that this is all speculation and they most likely pick the most qualified candidates.

Am in a similar situation as op and weighing what to do since I only have one A from a school that doesn’t require pte and only requires a cte x days before orientation. Wondering if adcoms will be more likely to select off waitlists if I’m not pte anywhere for yield purposes or if they prefer someone who is already admitted elsewhere. Also I completely understand that this is all speculation and they most likely pick the most qualified candidates.
I think not selecting PTE, if you can, is slightly more ideal based on an obscure thread I found a while back lol

I can't say for all admissions processes, but as I wrote, your fate may already be sealed when it comes to waitlists so CYMS notes don't influence us.

You can also see how one can manipulate their waitlist "priority" if everyone manipulated their PTE signals. It doesn't or shouldn't work this way.

Last edited:
ADCOMs like people who don't pit ADCOMs against each other. You might want to try another approach. js

• Love
Am in a similar situation as op and weighing what to do since I only have one A from a school that doesn’t require pte and only requires a cte x days before orientation. Wondering if adcoms will be more likely to select off waitlists if I’m not pte anywhere for yield purposes or if they prefer someone who is already admitted elsewhere.
The bolded is a common and pernicious pre-med mindset. Having an accept somewhere doesn't make one more of a catch. In fact, it may make the job easier for Admissions deans because they an applicant can now go elsewhere and they can strike one more name off the list of who to accept.

There ARE people who are catches, such as URM, and Stanford/Harvard class applicants.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users