I this course load too much to handle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docss26

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, next semester I believe I have a heavy course load. I want to bring my GPA up so I dont know if this will help or not. Ill be taking the following courses:

Physics 2
Orgo 1
Genetics
Spanish 110 (introductory review)

I also volunteer in a research lab, Im also on the executive board for two different clubs. I need some advice. My current GPA is 3.1 and I will be a junior next semester. I just want to be on the right track so I have a good chance at getting into pharmacy school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, next semester I believe I have a heavy course load. I want to bring my GPA up so I dont know if this will help or not. Ill be taking the following courses:

Physics 2
Orgo 1
Genetics

I also volunteer in a research lab, Im also on the executive board for two different clubs. I need some advice. My current GPA is 3.1 and I will be a junior next semester. I just want to be on the right track so I have a good chance at getting into pharmacy school. Thanks!

I wouldn't take that courseload, but that's just me. I'm a chronic procrastinator with 40/wk job + wife/kids. I try never to take more than 1 lab course/qtr or semester. Now I have done as many as three in a semester, but I would never do it again.

Physics 2
Orgo 1
Genetics

Most people find it hard to take three sciences with their respective labs. I'm guessing you are at a university because of genetics, so it may be a little more difficult. Also, most people believe that getting into pharmacy school is simply relient on their GPA. Get yourself well-rounded. Do you work? Do you volunteer outside of school? How is your PCAT? Letters of recommendation? All these things included and more will determine your readiness and acceptance to pharmacy school. Get 'er done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Physics 2
Orgo 1
Genetics

I wouldn't take that courseload, but that's just me. I'm a chronic procrastinator with 40/wk job + wife/kids. I try never to take more than 1 lab course/qtr or semester. Now I have done as many as three in a semester, but I would never do it again.

This semester has been especially brutal for me, I have the wife/kids deal as well with

Organic II
Cell Bio
Physics I
Public Speaking
fluff music course

I honestly don't think I could maintain my grades with any type of job, part or full-time. Same goes for all the extra stuff you are involved in, my grades would suffer. I made the commitment to school and the courses, so no job or any of that extra business for me.

Though honestly, it seems if you are a junior with a 3.1, it is unlikely the GPA will shift dramatically to make it competitive for pharmacy school admission. It could happen, but it may take 2 more years with 4.0 semesters to seriously boost the GPA into competitive range.

yeah i know its going to be hard as hell to bring the GPA up with the type of courses i have to take, but im pretty much working on my major now which is going to screw over my gpa. Im going to need to rely on a strong pcat, and my extra currics to gain admissions. If need be ill have to take some easier classes just to boost the GPA.

no one can tell you if it will be too hard for you. Thats something you need to decide for yourself. You are probably a good judge of your ability at this point, just do what you think you can. But dont take a bunch of classes that may be difficult for you if there is a possibility of dragging down your GPA.

Slow and steady wins the race

I'd drop either genetics or spanish

How many hours is that??

It seems okay to me...

I took: Organic 2-(w/out lab), Genetics lab, neurobio, cell bio and biochem this semester! BTW-I do not recommend THAT!!! :(

I also work part time in an organic chem lab. I don't think I'm getting on the Dean's list this semester. :eek:

I already have a degree-so it's just straight up science courses for me-no "fluff" filler.

u know it depends on how much u r willing to study..so ask your self can u study for each class as much as it requires u to. but personallay i would not take 3 science classes in a semester ..thats just me ..scares me lol..and if u get a bad grade in one of them there goes your gpa...right? and i heard spanish is alot of work...

It doesn't seem bad. Since I had completed a lot of my extracurriculars six years ago the majority of the classes I had left were science or math related so I usually took at least three science courses a semester with one fluff class.

On one hand a more challenging course load might lower your GPA, on the other hand the admissions people might appreciate seeing applicants challenging themselves.

Physics 2
Orgo 1
Genetics

I thought Genetics was cake and Spanish is really easy. My toughest semester I had Calc III, P Chem II, Biochem II and Speech and I made it through. I think you'll be fine.

Wanna hear a tough course load? Try mine this semester, the whole 22 credit hours.

Organic Chm 2
Physics 2
Calculus
World Religions
Statistics
Art Appreciation.

Members don't see this ad :)

Physics 2
Orgo 1
Genetics

I think you might drop one of them, especially since you're just starting Org. Chem. Consider the extra class in the Spring, or take just 1 summer course to lighten your load. Of course, I'm sure you know what you're capable of by now, but I wouldn't do it.

How many hours is that??

It seems okay to me...

I took: Organic 2-(w/out lab), Genetics lab, neurobio, cell bio and biochem this semester! BTW-I do not recommend THAT!!! :(

I also work part time in an organic chem lab. I don't think I'm getting on the Dean's list this semester. :eek:

I already have a degree-so it's just straight up science courses for me-no "fluff" filler.

It may seem okay to you but what gpa will you be recieving this semester?

GPA>Heavy Load

totally do-able. go ahead and try it. If it's too much then just drop a class.

I took almost that exact courseload and did well, but it was ALOT of studying:thumbup:

wtf? that's too much to handle? that seems average...throw one more course like economics or statistics in there and you got mine.

wtf? that's too much to handle? that seems average...throw one more course like economics or statistics in there and you got mine.

Whats your gpa?

i think you're fine as long as you dedicate yourself to it. never took genetics, heard its a bitch. i think you can do it. if it makes you feel better, i had a 2.99 pre-pharm GPA (3.5 overall) and a 92 PCAT, and got accepted to a good pharmacy school, so... :)

It is doable, trust me. Last semester i took:

Physics 2 Got B+
Orgo 2 Got B
Intro to Molecular and Cellular Biology Got A
Upper Level Statistics Got A

Just manage your time very well and u will be fine.

It may seem okay to you but what gpa will you be recieving this semester?

GPA>Heavy Load

I dunno-let you know in a couple of weeks-don't want to jinx myself-like I said not Dean's list-tho-it's possible. And again-like I said-I don't recommend it.Probably 3.3-3.4. I'm happy with that. I've scored a paid internship this weekend in a Physiology lab-so I think it will make up for whatever I lack in GPA...