I took a practice mcat i got a ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pballer66

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, im just curious to see if my score is ok because of what classes ive taken so far. at the point of this test i had taken Gen chem 1, 4 weeks of gen chem 2, 4 weeks of my first bio, and my first english. Ive yet to ever had any physics, or organic chem, and ive had very little bio. Based on this what do you think a good score would be. By the way im just a second semester freshman. Thanks everyone. :).

Members don't see this ad.

pballer66 said:
Ok, im just curious to see if my score is ok because of what classes ive taken so far. at the point of this test i had taken Gen chem 1, 4 weeks of gen chem 2, 4 weeks of my first bio, and my first english. Ive yet to ever had any physics, or organic chem, and ive had very little bio. Based on this what do you think a good score would be. By the way im just a second semester freshman. Thanks everyone. :).

Numerous amount of posts have already answered this. But the answer is to finish your prereqs. All of the basic ones: like bio 1/2, physics 1/2, gchem 1/2, and orgo 1/2.

Cozmosis said:
Uh, what was the score?

it wasnt great it was a 9, but im still 2 years from the real thing and by then ill have all my physics, and orgo, and the rest of my bio. I was 1 question from a 10 :( oh well still lots more time.

Members don't see this ad :)
pballer66 said:

A good score is a 28 or above.

The national average is 24.

Before you've taken the prereqs, the scores you get on bio and physical science mean absolutely nothing. The only score that might mean something at this point in your education would be verbal. If you scored really low in verbal, then start reading now. In order to score well in verbal, you need to be able to read relatively quickly and comprehend. This comes with lots of practice.

Seriously, taking practice tests from your freshmen year is too much. Although it is important to realize it will be coming up. The more important thing to do is to realize that as you take your class courses, you should try to do more than just what the teacher says to do to get an A.

In other words, as you are going through classes, try to learn the concepts very well and try to learn how different subjects have applications and relate to each other. Try not to forget what you learned as soon as you are done with it, otherwise you'll have 20 times more studying to do when you start preparing for the MCAT.

pballer66 said:
it wasnt great it was a 9, but im still 2 years from the real thing and by then ill have all my physics, and orgo, and the rest of my bio. I was 1 question from a 10 :( oh well still lots more time.
I wouldn't even consider any of these results valuable. Face it, its just silly to try these before knowing virtually any of the material. Slow down, you'll get plenty of this crap soon enough anyway.

Why did you take one so early? You just wasted a practice exam. I hope it wasn't an AAMC one.

pballer66 said:

your supermotivatedness makes me look bad :smuggrin:

the reason i took the practice test was because my school was giving a free one. it was through kaplan. it was just a half length mcat, no writing or anything of that nature. i was like, hey its free might as well try it to see kind of where im starting from. another reason i took it is because i dont do very well on standardized tests. its like from hs my gpa was a 3.9 but my sat was only an 1180, and i took the hardest classes i could. thats why i thought maybe if i go ahead and start working a little towards the mcat maybe ill get a pretty good score. im not like cracking my kaplan book out everyday though. :)

Will Ferrell said:
Why did you take one so early? You just wasted a practice exam. I hope it wasn't an AAMC one.

I have to disagree with you. By taking an exam now he/she knows what the hell they know vs. don't. And I have found that MCAT questions are totally different than class exams. START studying now OP!!

Down w/ the MCAT :smuggrin:

rtmcad2319 said:
I have to disagree with you. By taking an exam now he/she knows what the hell they know vs. don't. And I have found that MCAT questions are totally different than class exams. START studying now OP!!

Down w/ the MCAT :smuggrin:

I totally disagree. The fact of the matter is, by the time this poster takes the MCAT, if he takes it 2 years from now..........it won't matter.

The format is changing in 2007 to a computer based testing system. News of this can be seen on the AAMC website.

The article on the AAMC website even goes on to say how they are going to shorten the length of the test.

Furthermore, a person is going to fail something if he hasn't seen the science background either.

A 9 now doesn't say anything about what his score will be with background and age.

However, I will agree that a person should start building their reading skills now if they are poor. In other words, one should start reading books like philosophy books. Or books like Stephen J. Gould books on natural history, to get used to the kind of things MCAT verbal loves and building up reading skills.

Don't stress about the test now. However, do take your classes seriously in a way that you retain them if you wish to do well later on.

Don't waste your time on practice MCATS now, it's a ridiculous waste of time. There will be plenty of time for that later. Right now concentrate on aceing your classes and get some good solid extracurrics going. Honestly, like people have said the MCAT is changing and taking practice tests so early on is pointless. But I was like you myself...heck, I even bought a Kaplan book the summer before I started college! :) I have since become less neurotic and much much cooler :cool: