I want to cry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, maybe not quite cry but - I just got finished writing a tough secondary essay, hit 'save' and ... my computer crashed...and upon re-booting low and behold, not only has it not saved my last version, but it has overwritten the old version with a file of zero length.

I hate computers somedays, and I *don't* feel like re-writing that essay right now. ggrrrr!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry that happened to you!

When you rewrite the essay be careful about using a spell check.
Some words sound the same to the ear, but are spelled differently and have different meanings. Spell checks cannot determine what word is appropriate, only if the word used is spelled correctly.

You wrote "low" and behold. Low is spelled correctly, but the word in the phrase is "lo" which is really an abbreviated, literary spelling for "look". Cattle low; low is also a direction opposed to high, as in "looking high and low."

In a personal statement, or in any writing, mispelling, misuse of words, and poor grammar may cause you to loose--oops, lose-- brownie points. ALWAYS, proofread.

Just trying to be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi boy wonder.
i will refrain from grammar correction, seeing as how i spelled investigator three different ways on one of my dukie essays. (eek!) :D

anyhoo... here's a virtual beer for your troubles. sorry about the crash man.

*GoodMonkey hands the boy wonder a blue moon belgium wheat, complete with lemon, and curses computers with him*
:D

Yeah boywonder that sucks, If it makes you feel better at least u didnt spend a week on an essay and submit it just to be rejected two days later before any of your lor's were even received. Not that I am still bitter about Vandy. I am sure the second time around your essay will be ten times better anyways.

Originally posted by the boy wonder

I hate computers somedays, and I *don't* feel like re-writing that essay right now. ggrrrr!

Real sorry to hear about that - it's happened to me a few times.

One thing I now do when I write essays - use the 'save every 5 mins' features that a lot of word procs have. It has saved me a few times too.

- Tae

Originally posted by GoodMonkey

*GoodMonkey hands the boy wonder a blue moon belgium wheat, complete with lemon, and curses computers with him*
:D

OMG, a virtual beer! and a good one at that - just what I needed :) thanks goodmonkey

thanks guys and girls for the well wishes - I have finally re-written the damn thing. Let's hope it's the last application hiccup for all of us :)