I want to enter a SMP after my post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blacchic856

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This probably sounds crazy. As a non-trad the last thing I should be thinking about is taking LONGER to get my medical degree but I can't seem to shake this feeling that I need an SMP. I have 5 classes left to finish the year of Bio (need II), Chem (currently enrolled in II), Orgo (need both) and Physics (need both). I will be done these May 2016. Summer 2016, I think I should apply to SMPs (but only those with a guaranteed seat in their med school for successful students).

Temple ACMS is at the top of my list as I live in the Greater Philadelphia area. Currently, I have a 3.67 science GPA with a lower cumulative (3.36) due to some nonscience postbacc courses. ECs are ok.

I feel that taking a year in an organized "premedical" program with faculty will help me redevelop my confidence in the classroom. It's been a few years since college and I want the absolute best chance of being successful in med school. But I'll also be turning 27 in March 2016 and maybe that's too old for the time and debt of an SMP
 
This probably sounds crazy. As a non-trad the last thing I should be thinking about is taking LONGER to get my medical degree but I can't seem to shake this feeling that I need an SMP. I have 5 classes left to finish the year of Bio (need II), Chem (currently enrolled in II), Orgo (need both) and Physics (need both). I will be done these May 2016. Summer 2016, I think I should apply to SMPs (but only those with a guaranteed seat in their med school for successful students).

Temple ACMS is at the top of my list as I live in the Greater Philadelphia area. Currently, I have a 3.67 science GPA with a lower cumulative (3.36) due to some nonscience postbacc courses. ECs are ok.

I feel that taking a year in an organized "premedical" program with faculty will help me redevelop my confidence in the classroom. It's been a few years since college and I want the absolute best chance of being successful in med school. But I'll also be turning 27 in March 2016 and maybe that's too old for the time and debt of an SMP
MCAT score? Your priorities are off. I don't think you need an SMP. Underperform in an SMP (which does happen plenty btw) and your chances at med school are shot. That being said, you seem to be the only kind of applicant Temple is willing to take for their ACMS program. Most of the people who make it into the ACMS program hit the 3.5 minimum and matriculate into Temple. I don't see the sense in you doing a traditional SMP like UC. Lastly, SMPs are very expensive.
 
SMPs (but only those with a guaranteed seat in their med school for successful students).
There's only one such program - Temple. And it's one of the most expensive paths through med school. You'll be in the $400k debt club with nothing special to show for that premium price tag.

Based on your user name you're an underrepresented minority. You have good stats. Don't squander your advantage. You should be shopping yourself to your state's public schools and lots of other med schools who are competing for good URM students. You could get a full ride. Just keep getting A's and get a great MCAT score next spring.

Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MCAT score? Your priorities are off. I don't think you need an SMP. Underperform in an SMP (which does happen plenty btw) and your chances at med school are shot. That being said, you seem to be the only kind of applicant Temple is willing to take for their ACMS program. Most of the people who make it into the ACMS program hit the 3.5 minimum and matriculate into Temple. I don't see the sense in you doing a traditional SMP like UC. Lastly, SMPs are very expensive.

No MCAT score. This is my first time taking the science prereqs (I have a BS in Health & Exercise Science) so I won't be ready for the MCAT til next summer at the earliest.

There's only one such program - Temple. And it's one of the most expensive paths through med school. You'll be in the $400k debt club with nothing special to show for that premium price tag.

Based on your user name you're an underrepresented minority. You have good stats. Don't squander your advantage. You should be shopping yourself to your state's public schools and lots of other med schools who are competing for good URM students. You could get a full ride. Just keep getting A's and get a great MCAT score next spring.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your words of encouragement! I am an URM, also 1st generation college grad.
 
I totally understand what you're saying. I did very well on my prereqs and MCAT and still feel unprepared. Rather than an SMP though, I am just taking a few "extra" classes just to help me feel a bit more confident. Also, something that you might not be aware of since you're not at this point yet, but a lot of med schools do a sort of "preview" session for a month or two before med school actually starts. These are optional and generally intended for people who feel like you and I 🙂. So, I'd definitely advise you to look further before you sink a ton of money and time into an SMP. Having spent a fortune on a formal post-bacc, there are often times that I feel like kicking myself for not having gone the cheapest route.
 
Unless you want to be a professional student, you have no need to do an SMP as long as you're doing fine (GPA > 3.5) in your post-bac.



This probably sounds crazy. As a non-trad the last thing I should be thinking about is taking LONGER to get my medical degree but I can't seem to shake this feeling that I need an SMP. I have 5 classes left to finish the year of Bio (need II), Chem (currently enrolled in II), Orgo (need both) and Physics (need both). I will be done these May 2016. Summer 2016, I think I should apply to SMPs (but only those with a guaranteed seat in their med school for successful students).

Temple ACMS is at the top of my list as I live in the Greater Philadelphia area. Currently, I have a 3.67 science GPA with a lower cumulative (3.36) due to some nonscience postbacc courses. ECs are ok.

I feel that taking a year in an organized "premedical" program with faculty will help me redevelop my confidence in the classroom. It's been a few years since college and I want the absolute best chance of being successful in med school. But I'll also be turning 27 in March 2016 and maybe that's too old for the time and debt of an SMP
 
I totally understand what you're saying. I did very well on my prereqs and MCAT and still feel unprepared. Rather than an SMP though, I am just taking a few "extra" classes just to help me feel a bit more confident. Also, something that you might not be aware of since you're not at this point yet, but a lot of med schools do a sort of "preview" session for a month or two before med school actually starts. These are optional and generally intended for people who feel like you and I 🙂. So, I'd definitely advise you to look further before you sink a ton of money and time into an SMP. Having spent a fortune on a formal post-bacc, there are often times that I feel like kicking myself for not having gone the cheapest route.

I did not know they offer "preview" sessions; very happy to learn that. Also, glad to see I'm not the only one feeling a little low in the confidence department.

After seeing some of the classes offered through the Temple program, I could theoretically do all of them on my own like I am now.
 
Yup. Not all schools have these programs but a quick google search turned up a bunch (for example, http://medicine.tufts.edu/About-Us/...tural-Affairs/Prematriculation-Summer-Program)

I just don't think an SMPis worth the time or money if your grades are fine. Plus, you would be limiting yourself to having just one choice of where to matriculate if you do the Temple program.

I think a lot of us probably struggle with the confidence issue. For me, it's really due to the fact that I have ZERO science experience, other than the prereqs. So I am forcing myself to face the fact that yes, I'll probably struggle somewhat more in the beginning of med school than traditional science majors. And that's okay with me because having had lots of professional experience, maybe I'll end up ahead once I hit the clinical years!