I want to get into SUNY, but it seems hard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAmTheBest35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. So I just finished taking my OAT last week and now I'm deciding what school I want to get into the most. SUNY is at the top of my list. My GPA was just under a 3.5 and my OAT scores were TS/AA = 400/380. I have shadowed for a total of maybe ten hours, which I know isn't a lot. I am trying to get some more shadowing in before my application deadline in March.
I am not feeling very good about my chances. So I was just wondering what your guys' feelings were about it. :/

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody. So I just finished taking my OAT last week and now I'm deciding what school I want to get into the most. SUNY is at the top of my list. My GPA was just under a 3.5 and my OAT scores were TS/AA = 400/380. I have shadowed for a total of maybe ten hours, which I know isn't a lot. I am trying to get some more shadowing in before my application deadline in March.
I am not feeling very good about my chances. So I was just wondering what your guys' feelings were about it. :/
You’re fine, just get your shadowing/experience up a bit asap and submit your app. The sooner the better.

Hey! I agree, your scores are great :) and your gpa is def not bad. I got an interview with just over 30 hours of shadowing. I would submit your app ASAP because admissions is on a rolling basis. I had my interview last week and they mentioned that that was basically the last week to be considered an early applicant. After the holidays is slightly late in the game, so def the earlier the better. Also if you plan on shadowing in the same place you can mark it on your application if I remember correctly. Also the interview is really not bad it’s super conversational and hopefully when you get your interview and go in you can always mention that you plan on shadowing some more throughout the rest of the year :). Hope some of this helps!
Thanks for the advice. I'm not in any position to apply right now, I don't even have a letter of recommendation from an optometrist and don't think I can get one very soon. This isn't good.