I want to go to school X because I want to work with Dr. Y?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mechtel

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am preparing for an interview next week at a State school and am preparing for the why school X question. The school is a quality school, but I realize my stats are well above their medians and an obvious question is why I want to go there. I would be happy there I believe, but don;t really have a very compelling reason for that school in particular.

I've been reading over some advice on how to answer this question. The ciriculum is organ/systems-based, but many schools are also like this so I'm not sure if this is a good answer. Any opinions?

Another option is to find a researcher who matches my research interests. I found a professor at the school who is doing very interesting work who matches my interests. Would it be advisable to say I want to go to school X because I want to work with him? If I cite this as my reason, what if he doesn't want to work with me?

Lastly, does anyone else have any other general advice for angles to approach the why school x question for schools that they genuinely would like to go to, but for which nothing in particular jumps out at them and may not seem to be their top choice?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is perfectly fine to single out something that it not unique but that is particular to that school (such as an aspect of the curriculum).

With regard to the investigator you might begin by saying, "I'm very interested in the work being done on [topic]at [school]. Dr. [name]'s lab has done some interesting things with xyz which overlaps with what I've been doing... then launch into a greater description of your work and end with, I would love the opportunity to collaborate with Dr. [name] or others who are working in xyz.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is perfectly fine to single out something that it not unique but that is particular to that school (such as an aspect of the curriculum).

With regard to the investigator you might begin by saying, "I'm very interested in the work being done on [topic]at [school]. Dr. [name]'s lab has done some interesting things with xyz which overlaps with what I've been doing... then launch into a greater description of your work and end with, I would love the opportunity to collaborate with Dr. [name] or others who are working in xyz.

i move that a certain percentage of SDN donations be steered directly to LizzyM.

LizzyM, thank you very much for the insight.

I am applying MD only. Why would chances of working with a particular researcher be minimal? Don't most MD students do some kind of research? Would a particular researcher favor MD/PhD candidates in their lab?

During my undergrad, I worked with my PI directly at our medical school. I was her only student aside from some residents that she trained. I did go to a top research university, but are state schools that different?

Med students typically do "some" research over the summer between first and second year. I wouldn't base my application or acceptance to a school based on 6-12 weeks of research with a particular person. That's a minuscule amount of time to spend with one person relative to the effort you have to put into the rest of your education.

Its just as reasonable for you to go to ANY school and just get a summer research opportunity at that school with that researcher.

I would agree that it would be more effective if you were going for MD/PhD. That said, I doubt the people reading your essay would immediately pick up the phone and call him asking if he'd like to work with you. If you have done previous work shown on your app that matches this professor's interests I think it would show that you've done some background research on the school.

Is it your state school? Because that is a reason. I don't think it will hurt to discuss your interest in working with one person in particular, but realize that you may not end up having that opportunity. But what about the field he works in, is that a strong department at that school. You could bring that up as well.

It is one of multiple state schools in my school. There is another state school much closer to me.

By LizzyM's advice, it is fine to mention aspects not unique to school. So i have so far, i like the curriculum (although not unique), state school (not unique), and like the research (actually--work on this subject is being done at other schools come to think of it, and the particular individual may not be the leader in his field).

Maybe I'm approaching this too much as looking for a soul-mate? Do medical schools understand that they may not be the only school you would like, but you come off as genuine and would be a match for this school? I really want to be very enthusiastic and convey a unique match, but if I don;t would my chances be adversely affected?

The above looks good. I would mention the research but not a specific researcher, unless you've got a letter from him or something that mentions how much he'd like you to work with him (in which case, I'd obviously mention it). Otherwise it comes off as a little bit presumptuous/creepy. Plus, your big name researchers probably get to hand pick their groups, people may not be able walk in and 'try stuff out' for a few years under them without prior experience in the field.

:oops: You are all so sweet...

In deciding whether to accept an applicant, some schools will wonder, "but will he come here? he's going to have a lot of choices...." If you've made a point of highlighting why you like the school and how it fits with your interests, then you are making a strong case for why the adcom should make you an offer of admission.

If you've done work in a rather narrow field and someone at that school is working in the same narrow field, then saying that you are interested in continuing to do work in that field during the summer, or during a senior research elective, etc might make it seem like you are attracted to the school and that you will matriculate there rather than running off to [insert name of hot shot school here].