I want to go to UTHouston!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpinsky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I desperately want to get an anesthesia residency at UTH (Baylor is my 2nd choice) as my wife and I would like to be close to her family and raise our kids there. Unfortunately, I got a 207 on Step I, and I'm not a Texas resident. However, I am confident that I will get a 230 on Step II when i take it in 3 weeks (aug 21st). I'm also doing an away rotation there in September. If all goes well, I get my 230, and impress someone while im there in Sep., do I have a chance? Shoot me your opinions.....I;m strong, i can take it.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have a red flag in your application somewhere, I would say you are almost guaranteed an interview there.

btw, I loved this program - some of the coolest residents in the country - I ranked it pretty highly.

I'm not sure how you can be confident of a 230 on step 2, but I hope you are right.

This year they took 10 from UT Houston, 4 from UTMB, and presumably some from UTHSCSA and UTSW though I can't find their match lists. At least 14 of 22 spots went to UT students and probably several more. Getting an interview is easy enough. Good luck matching from out of state though.

Members don't see this ad :)
person2006 said:
I'm not sure how you can be confident of a 230 on step 2, but I hope you are right.

This year they took 10 from UT Houston, 4 from UTMB, and presumably some from UTHSCSA and UTSW though I can't find their match lists. At least 14 of 22 spots went to UT students and probably several more. Getting an interview is easy enough. Good luck matching from out of state though.

I think that with some programs including UTH, the feeling is that they can better match the people they want by taking the candidates from in state over out of state applicants. It takes some of the uncertainty of the match out of the equation. That being said, if you as an out of state applicant show and tell them that you are 100% committed to coming to Houston, even to the point of doing an internship and reapplying the following year, you are likely to overcome that particular barrier.

UTSouthwestern said:
I think that with some programs including UTH, the feeling is that they can better match the people they want by taking the candidates from in state over out of state applicants. It takes some of the uncertainty of the match out of the equation. That being said, if you as an out of state applicant show and tell them that you are 100% committed to coming to Houston, even to the point of doing an internship and reapplying the following year, you are likely to overcome that particular barrier.

Thanks for the replies.....How would I go about doing an internship there? I am completely willing to do a transitional year or non-categorical in medicine or whatever....then reappying the following year.....But wouldnt it be similarly difficult to match to something like this out of state? Or is there some other way to match an internship that isnt as competitive? Thanks for the help.

jpinsky said:
Thanks for the replies.....How would I go about doing an internship there? I am completely willing to do a transitional year or non-categorical in medicine or whatever....then reappying the following year.....But wouldnt it be similarly difficult to match to something like this out of state? Or is there some other way to match an internship that isnt as competitive? Thanks for the help.

The internship statement is something you could say to emphasize your desire to matriculate to a particular program. I would still cast your net far and wide but follow up with UTH after your interview to emphasize your interest, including mentioning your family reasons for wanting to come to Houston.

I would suggest entering a "different" letter for the application to UT Houston where your personal statement expresses your desire to go to their program specifically. The meat of the PS could be the same. Follow this up with some phone calls to the program coordinator and let them know your situation. The medical center is a big place and I am sure you would be able to get an intern spot somewhere on the off chance you don't match in a categorical spot. I believe Baylor, UT-Houston, and UTMB all helped out with some of the displaced Tulane residents as well. I am not sure if that will affect the numbers for this year. Probably not.
As long as you don't turn them off completely in the interview, I would say your situation is pretty hopeful. Be careful about being overzealous. You may scare them off. Best of luck!

I think you're doing all the right things. Arranging the away elective was a smart move. Some things to think about:

- Read a lot (choose a good handbook to carry around -- I liked the MGH handbook, others like Secrets). Ask questions about your reading in all cases. Ask questions of the attending when they give breaks to the residents.

- Tell them you want to come. Sometimes this really is the most important thing you can do. They want people who want to come. Make it known that you really want to come. Meet the chairman and program director during your rotation and tell them you want to come. Write letters to them afterward to thank them for their time and re-iterate to them that you want to come. Also tell them you have those strong family reasons for wanting to come.

- Ask for a letter of recommendation from a faculty member at the program that you were able to get to know.

- You might visit the program and find you really don't like it. I was very set on a certain program (because of its location) but when I got there, I found myself very unhappy as a rotator. I so disliked the program that we ended up deciding not to apply there, even though it meant not moving to that location.

jpinsky said:

You can apply for an intern position in medicine at UT-Houston or for a transitional year spot at LBJ. I'm not sure, however, if those LBJ spots are reserved for residents who matched categorically or if you can get it separately without having matched in a categorical position. If you are really hardcore, you can check for prelim spots in med-peds and surgery in the medical center which can possibly improve you chances of staying in Houston-- at least for your intern year.

jpinsky said:
I desperately want to get an anesthesia residency at UTH (Baylor is my 2nd choice) as my wife and I would like to be close to her family and raise our kids there. Unfortunately, I got a 207 on Step I, and I'm not a Texas resident. However, I am confident that I will get a 230 on Step II when i take it in 3 weeks (aug 21st). I'm also doing an away rotation there in September. If all goes well, I get my 230, and impress someone while im there in Sep., do I have a chance? Shoot me your opinions.....I;m strong, i can take it.

I too am trying to get to Houston for family reasons (im from galveston). Im doing a rotation at UTH in December.
Does being a Texas resident help at all?
Im a middle of the road student at an out of state school. I've heard they close the door on you if you aren't from a Texas school.

Just out of curiosity, what draws you to UT-Houston over Baylor? Both seem like pretty solid programs.

Don't overlook programs that are within 2-3 hours of Houston. I would talk to some people in the know about which programs in the state are the best. I will say no more and leave the rest to you.

You'll also have a better chance if you seek spanish since the hospitals are full of mexican invasion forces. they'd prefer people who can talk to all the people getting free medical care on the US taxpayers back.

mdnsw said:
You'll also have a better chance if you seek spanish since the hospitals are full of mexican invasion forces. they'd prefer people who can talk to all the people getting free medical care on the US taxpayers back.
You really would have a better shot if you speak Spanish. I was asked about Spanish-speaking at all five of my interviews in Texas. You might be able to get in if you don't speak it, but I think it would help.

Also, there is no comparison between getting into anesthesiology and getting into prelim medicine. Anesthesiology is fairly competitive, especially if you're from out of state while prelim med is not at all competitive. Transitional on the other hand is very competitive.

mdnsw said:

WTF?? Simply saying speaking spanish would be an advantage would have been enough. Dang...

person2006 said:
You really would have a better shot if you speak Spanish. I was asked about Spanish-speaking at all five of my interviews in Texas. You might be able to get in if you don't speak it, but I think it would help.

Also, there is no comparison between getting into anesthesiology and getting into prelim medicine. Anesthesiology is fairly competitive, especially if you're from out of state while prelim med is not at all competitive. Transitional on the other hand is very competitive.

What is the difference between transitional year and prelim med year? Why is the former more competitive? Does the prelim medicine year still count toward an anesthesia residency? I'd really love a website that just explains everything i need to know about applying and getting an anesthesia residency as noone has really laid it all out for me before.....any suggestions? thanks.

jpinsky said:
What is the difference between transitional year and prelim med year? Why is the former more competitive? Does the prelim medicine year still count toward an anesthesia residency? I'd really love a website that just explains everything i need to know about applying and getting an anesthesia residency as noone has really laid it all out for me before.....any suggestions? thanks.
A transitional year allows you do do electives in various departments. Many of these electives are easier than medicine months, so many people prefer to do a transitional year. Some people may claim to choose the transitional year for other reasons, but I think it's usually because it's easier. Since many people find a transitional year more desirable, it is more competitive.

Any year including at least 10 months of med, surg, obgyn, anesth, peds, neuro, emergency, family, or critical care will count as a clinical base year for anesthesiology. Only one month can be anesthesiology, but the others are unlimited. Both prelim med and transitional fit the bill.