I want to live in the middle of nowhere... Will that be a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stilllooking

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm seriously considering doing the social work (BSW and then MSW) ohe r psych (clinical psych with a concentration in health psych) route to get into health care, preferably doing medical SW/psych and/or psychotherapy and working in some sort of clinical setting (hospital, psych hospital, community health/mental health center, VA, etc.). The problem is, I really want to live in the places that everyone else seems to shy away from...Alaska (far and away first choice), Wyoming (and I'm even a liberal!:eek:), Montana, and eastern Washington are all places that appeal to me. I don't necessarily want to live in a big city or the out and out "boonies"; I think I'd be very happy with a relatively small to medium-sized town. However, I'm worried that my desire to work in a small, nowhere area will make it impossible for me to get a job. Does the "underserved" principle you hear about in regards to medicine also apply to the psych/SW fields, or are big cities and "hot" regions the way to go?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If anything this will likely work to your advantage. Big cities (Boston, NY, DC) already have a TON of psychologists. Its a lot easier to get a referral base established if you're the only psychologist in a 100 mile radius:)

The smaller, more rural areas are hard up to get people to help with local resources in the social work realm, so it sounds like you may be in good shape if that's the plan. Go for it. All the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
The smaller, more rural areas are hard up to get people to help with local resources in the social work realm, so it sounds like you may be in good shape if that's the plan. Go for it. All the way.

Ditto.

Big fish in a small pond, the only caution is that you most likely won't make as much money, and you need to make sure to have a good life/work balance. I know some professionals (mostly medical, but a couple therapists) who love their rural practices, but because there is such a need, they work more than they initially expected.

-t

if ur living in a big city.. the workload could be quite overwhelming..i personally think that the hustle and bustle of such a city will not allow you to treat patients..only because of atmospheric emotions..i like the idea ur going for anyway.. a mid-size city..equivalent to north rockaway or some small city, where u;d not only receive an adequate amount of patients..but they would most likely come to u more because they are comfortable with the setting..
now im gonna blunder on about human relations..as we all know..haha

My preference is a smaller southern city....slower pace of life, more in tune with quality of life, and a bit farther away from the rat race. I couldn't do alaska, but I think there is something to be said about enjoying the little things in life.

-t

Ditto.

Big fish in a small pond, the only caution is that you most likely won't make as much money, and you need to make sure to have a good life/work balance. I know some professionals (mostly medical, but a couple therapists) who love their rural practices, but because there is such a need, they work more than they initially expected.

-t
exactly.

Rural areas are always in need of help. Often you may find only one licensed therapist for an entire county- or maybe even 2 counties. My suggestions would be to evaluate who else is around to ensure you have access to supervision (which you will need regularly in the beginning of your career, and periodically throughout it). Also, seek out information/training on ethical issues in rural practice. There are special considerations, such as how to handle dual relationships which can't be avoided, etc.

it also comes to personal preferences.. i don't like big cities or crowded areas.. i like living very slowly and peacefully..

it also comes to personal preferences.. i don't like big cities or crowded areas.. i like living very slowly and peacefully..

Living near the middle of nowhere, I've talked to psychologists, social workers and teachers who live in these sparsely populated areas who say it's not peaceful for them and they only live a few years there because they live in a fishbowl where every move that they and their families do is village gossip. You are better off commuting to the middle of nowhere or flying in. . . and getting out.

Ditto.

-t

Any reviews about the Clinical PhD from Wyoming . Am probably going to be bases in Utah(getting married) and was looking for universities near to SLC :(

Kindly share , though my 1st choice is combined PhD from Utah State . I wish i get in there

I currently work as an mft intern in the middle of nowhere- Bishop, CA and Mammoth Lakes CA to be exact. It is a beautiful area, but it does not satisfy my career aspirations at all. The professionals that do work in the area are unethical, the population is largely low income so they cannot afford therapy nor are they very open to the idea, those on medi-cal need to go to county mental health for services and county mental health gets very upset if a therapist takes these clients because it hurts their funding. The hospitals in the area are small and do not have a mental health or social work program, so the only two options would be working in county mental health or private practice but there are already several private practice therapists and it is difficult to generate enough business to stay afloat. And again, most professionals, if not all of them, are unethical- they either think you need to convince clients that homosexuality and abortion is wrong, or they do not report child abuse, or they violate confidentiality and think nothing of it. I'm sure not every rural area is like this, but this covers what my experience thus far has been like.

Any reviews about the Clinical PhD from Wyoming . Am probably going to be bases in Utah(getting married) and was looking for universities near to SLC :(

Kindly share , though my 1st choice is combined PhD from Utah State . I wish i get in there

I am not familiar with either program, though both places have gorgeous land and plenty of nature. If you ski...it'd be close to heaven.

And again, most professionals, if not all of them, are unethical- they either think you need to convince clients that homosexuality and abortion is wrong, or they do not report child abuse, or they violate confidentiality and think nothing of it. I'm sure not every rural area is like this, but this covers what my experience thus far has been like.

I have done some work in two rural communities (in two different states), and my experience has been quite different. Both communities were very conservative in some respects, but I didn't see those beliefs spill over into health decision making/guidance provided by the clinicians/medical staff. There are different challenges in these communities, typically a lack of resources, but most people figure out how to make it work (ethically and legally).

I Hope am wrong but does that mean that despite of being APA accredited , the standard of education and training provided is not as good as the schools in metro cities

Yes i do agree that the opportunities for job would be lesser and yes private practice won't thrive much (in some cases).

Am more concerned with the kind of training imparted ,because what if the person would than like to move to metro city for jobs or other reasons

I Hope am wrong but does that mean that despite of being APA accredited , the standard of education and training provided is not as good as the schools in metro cities

Yes i do agree that the opportunities for job would be lesser and yes private practice won't thrive much (in some cases).

Am more concerned with the kind of training imparted ,because what if the person would than like to move to metro city for jobs or other reasons

Given that you mentioned APA-accredited, I'm thinking you're referring to doctoral programs? If so, then no, being located in a smaller city/more-rural area definitely doesn't mean that the standard of education and training is any less than in metro areas.